TAH how long do we have to take hrt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH how long do we have to take hrt? TAH how long do we have to take hrt?

Unread 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM
TAH how long do we have to take hrt?

I am 45 yrs. Old and just had a total abdominal hysterectomy about 4 wks ago. My dr gave me the vivelle dot, and I forgot to ask...how long does hrt last at my age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Re: TAH how long do we have to take hrt?

Hi dw9211 - My gyno said 5 years and my pcp said 7 and see how you feel. Some stay on forever if there are no reasons not too. I hope things are going well for you!
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM

thats a great question and I have wanted to ask, but never have. I was 32 , now 41 and wonder how long to keep using patches for. I am to the point I think they are no longer working for me. I am loosing alot of hair, about half over two years....very destressing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Hey girls!
Thanks for replying.My email has been down for a coupke weeks. (I get my email via the blackberry server which has been down.) I was hoping it wouldn't be too many years!
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:26 PM

I had my hysterectomy at the age of 36 in 1999, 12 years later I am still using hrt. My doctor says I can continue as long as I need/want to. Really, I cannot see discontinuing it unless there was a medical reason to do so. It was a long journey to find balance, I certainly do want to go thru the upheaval again.

Unread 10-20-2011, 05:31 PM

I had mine at age 40, now 49 and still having to take HRT. I have been to several doctors and finally found a balance that works but I have an under-lying thyroid disorder so my hot flashes were not menopause, it was thyroid. Also have adrenal fatigue so that goes with it. I'm about to be treated for both, had to have hormones run down so tests would be accurate. Hopefully, you will feel better soon. I used the Vivelle and it worked at first but then stopped, but they think the thyroid went un noticed. I loved it when it worked, so if it's not working, may need to get hormones checked. Good luck and Hugs!
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:06 PM

CocoEyes, there's a great article on effects of too much, too little hormones:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97238.htm

Hair loss could be from a hormonal imbalance, specifically not enough testosterone. When's the last time you had your levels checked?
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:59 AM

2 gynae oncologists said up to 60 years old
2 hormone drs said for life, with adjustments in dosages
Unread 10-23-2011, 06:53 AM

I don't know the last time I had my levels checked, but I have felt emotionally "abnormal" for so long, I'm not sure if I would be able to recognize what is normal for me! I'm still feeling very anxious, angry, and weepy much of the time. Honestly, my fear is that I have mental problems! How do you know when the levels are right? Should I depend on the observations of others?....like my boyfriend who thinks everything is due to hormones!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register