Scheduled SAH My MIL thinks, I'll be recovered in 4 wks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My MIL thinks, I'll be recovered in 4 wks My MIL thinks, I'll be recovered in 4 wks

Unread 10-05-2011, 07:47 PM
My MIL thinks, I'll be recovered in 4 wks

I haven't had my sah yet, but I am counting down the days. My mother in law said to me today, "Thanksgiving will be at my house this year, you'll be good and ready by then." (on a good day that's an hour drive away, but on a day like T-day, 2 to 3 hours, I will not want to be sitting in a car!)
That will be exactly 4 weeks after my scheduled SAH! I don't need a turkey, I will bake my dressing prior to surgery and have a cornish hen. DH and kids can go to her house.
I'm not lifting a finger!
Has anyone else whose had an abdominal ready to just jump back in to cooking, cleaning, and driving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Re: My MIL thinks, I'll be recovered in 4 wks

It took at least 6 weeks after surgery for my insides to stop jiggling around when riding in the car. Even when I start driving myself at about 4 weeks, I could feel things shifting around and it wasn't a pleasant sensation. There are a number of ladies who have travelled not long after their surgery but I wouldn't recommend it. You need to do what it right for you and you really won't know until you get there since everyone has such a different recovery.
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:14 PM

At four weeks post op you should be just fine going to your MIL's. I traveled 12 hours at 4 weeks post op and I had many, many complications.

If you are not wanting to visit your MIL's that is one thing. But physically it really shouldn't be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM

I'll just take it one day at a time.. I don't want to rush anything. It's not just going to her house on Thanksgiving, I'm usually asked to cook something and bring it. One of the main entres.
I'm a little bummed out today, because I was suppose to donate my blood in case a transfusion was needed. But because of being anemic due to the fibroids, my levels are too low.
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:53 PM

Is this the sort of holiday gathering where you show up, eat and leave within a couple of hours (like my husband's side of the family) or is it more like my side where everyone stays for 6-7 hours? (We're a little bit more social on my side. )

Personally, at 4 weeks I would not have been able to be away from home for several hours at a stretch. An hour or two would have been fine... but there were some days where I was still needing a good deal of rest, and I was still having my bandages changed twice a day.

I like the idea of playing it by ear. If the day comes and you just aren't up to it, you can politely bow out... or you can try it and leave early if necessary. However, if you decide right now that you won't be able to do it -- then it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy. You may be pleasantly surprised at just how well you feel!
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabme247 View Post
I'll just take it one day at a time.. I don't want to rush anything. It's not just going to her house on Thanksgiving, I'm usually asked to cook something and bring it. One of the main entres.
One day at a time sounds like a good plan to me! I wasn't expected to do a thing when I arrived at my mom's after my trip. I just had to be waited on hand and foot--even by my BIL's!

Quote:
I'm a little bummed out today, because I was suppose to donate my blood in case a transfusion was needed. But because of being anemic due to the fibroids, my levels are too low.
I do understand about that, too. I wasn't too anemic, but I didn't have time to donate more than one pint and there wasn't time for my SIL to donate for me either. So when I did require a transfusion, it was donor blood. I am more thankful than ever for blood donors now!

I do hope all goes well for you and your surgery so you can enjoy your Thanksgiving how ever you decide to spend it!

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:38 AM

My mom keeps saying aww you will be OK in about a week its no biggie what is she thinking I'm over weight and she's a bean pole she had hers the year after I was born and had my grandmother to help ..im going to take it easy I don't want to be back in the hospital.
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2491 View Post
Is this the sort of holiday gathering where you show up, eat and leave within a couple of hours (like my husband's side of the family) or is it more like my side where everyone stays for 6-7 hours? (We're a little bit more social on my side. )

I like the idea of playing it by ear. If the day comes and you just aren't up to it, you can politely bow out... or you can try it and leave early if necessary. However, if you decide right now that you won't be able to do it -- then it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy. You may be pleasantly surprised at just how well you feel!
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, both sides of our family are social. LOL, my mil isn't a very good cook and I love to have good food. I usually cook my dinner just to have it at home, when we return, and bring whatever she wants me to bring. It's the traffic on that day,that I cannot stand. (I'm a little impatient, but I'm working on that. LOL) We're just too far out to be able to turn around and go back home, if I wanted to rest.

You're right, I don't want to speak defeat.
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
One day at a time sounds like a good plan to me! I wasn't expected to do a thing when I arrived at my mom's after my trip. I just had to be waited on hand and foot--even by my BIL's!

I do understand about that, too. I wasn't too anemic, but I didn't have time to donate more than one pint and there wasn't time for my SIL to donate for me either. So when I did require a transfusion, it was donor blood. I am more thankful than ever for blood donors now!

I do hope all goes well for you and your surgery so you can enjoy your Thanksgiving how ever you decide to spend it!
I'm grateful for donors as well. Thank you for the well wishes.
Unread 10-06-2011, 12:38 PM

I, too, wanted to donate blood, but there wasn't enough time. Thankfully, I did not need a transfusion. Don't worry too much about that. It would be ideal to have your blood on hand, but in the event of an emergency, the donor blood is a blessing.
I couldn't imagine 4 weeks out traveling any where, let alone cooking. I think you are wise to want to stay at home. If something changes and you feel like going, you can change your mind. blessings!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register