Ok, what's this about pain again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok, what's this about pain again? Ok, what's this about pain again?

Unread 10-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Ok, what's this about pain again?

Last night, I said to myself, "self, once the uterus is gone there's no more cramping, right"?

the people in my head responded, "we'll, what kind of pain is it? is it a sore pain, a cramping pain, a bee sting pain" what?

I know there will be pain but what I don't know is what kind of pain. Please help me understand

when you say pain, what do you mean? Describe it if you will...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Re: Ok, what's this about pain again?

Hi Barren

This is now the 4th time I've started answering your question! I want to answer you but at the same time I realise that pain is so individual that to give you my definitions of my pain could potentially turn you into a nervous wreck and on the flip side of that, if I tell you I didn't feel much pain and you experience a lot of pain, you will worry that something is wrong.

For me, I had the pains you describe and others too but nothing so awful I couldn't cope.

The way I looked at it was that it is going to hurt. Let's face it, if you cut your finger on a piece of paper... it hurts! With any operation there are layers of tissue and organs and skin and nerves and muscles that have experienced trauma. The healing process can be painful too as everything knits back together and for me, every day I experienced something different.

What I can say though is that very quickly, my pain had turned to discomfort and a week after surgery I had more discomfort than actual pain. Yes I had pains when I did something or moved in a certain way but I wasn't IN pain. And I think that is the difference.

Almost tempted to delete this one too because I haven't really replied as I'd like to but I just don't seem to be able to get the right words down.

Sending all good and positive thoughts your way
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.B View Post
Hi Barren

This is now the 4th time I've started answering your question! I want to answer you but at the same time I realise that pain is so individual that to give you my definitions of my pain could potentially turn you into a nervous wreck and on the flip side of that, if I tell you I didn't feel much pain and you experience a lot of pain, you will worry that something is wrong.

For me, I had the pains you describe and others too but nothing so awful I couldn't cope.

The way I looked at it was that it is going to hurt. Let's face it, if you cut your finger on a piece of paper... it hurts! With any operation there are layers of tissue and organs and skin and nerves and muscles that have experienced trauma. The healing process can be painful too as everything knits back together and for me, every day I experienced something different.

What I can say though is that very quickly, my pain had turned to discomfort and a week after surgery I had more discomfort than actual pain. Yes I had pains when I did something or moved in a certain way but I wasn't IN pain. And I think that is the difference.

Almost tempted to delete this one too because I haven't really replied as I'd like to but I just don't seem to be able to get the right words down.

Sending all good and positive thoughts your way
Ms. B,

Thank you. I think I'll be ok with anyone being descriptive because good drugs are involved

LOL

I'm visual, if that means anything. I more so want to know so I'll know how to relate to it and/or describe it to others {i.e. hospital staff} when asked.

It's something I've never been able to do. Like, when folks ask you to describe the pain you're in, I say, "i don't know but it hurts".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Well I was often asked how my pain was on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the very very very worst pain I've ever experienced. This gives an indication to the staff of how you are feeling.

If you Google 'The Comparative Pain Scale' you will find some information there.

If you scroll to the very bottom of the page you will find a very clear chart with explicit visual descriptions that I think you may find helpful. The 1 - 10 scale is still used but divided into 3 main categories of minor, moderate and severe and within these categories are further sub-categories.

For example, moderate covers numbers 4, 5 and 6 and the descriptions for those numbers are distressing, very distressing and intense, respectively. The visual description for number 4 distressing is: Strong, deep pain, like an average toothache, the initial pain from a bee sting, or minor trauma to part of the body, such as stubbing your toe real hard. So strong you notice the pain all the time and cannot completely adapt. This pain level can be simulated by pinching the fold of skin between the thumb and first finger with the other hand, using the fingernails, and squeezing real hard. Note how the similated pain is initially piercing but becomes dull after that.

There are 9 further descriptions like this - you may find them helpful.

Unread 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Well I was often asked how my pain was on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the very very very worst pain I've ever experienced. This gives an indication to the staff of how you are feeling.

If you Google 'The Comparative Pain Scale' you will find some information there.

If you scroll to the very bottom of the page you will find a very clear chart with explicit visual descriptions that I think you may find helpful. The 1 - 10 scale is still used but divided into 3 main categories of minor, moderate and severe and within these categories are further sub-categories.

For example, moderate covers numbers 4, 5 and 6 and the descriptions for those numbers are distressing, very distressing and intense, respectively. The visual description for number 4 distressing is: Strong, deep pain, like an average toothache, the initial pain from a bee sting, or minor trauma to part of the body, such as stubbing your toe real hard. So strong you notice the pain all the time and cannot completely adapt. This pain level can be simulated by pinching the fold of skin between the thumb and first finger with the other hand, using the fingernails, and squeezing real hard. Note how the similated pain is initially piercing but becomes dull after that.

Huh. Wish I'd read this before my surgery. Thanks for posting this. I hope that this gets turned into an article somehow so that princess' in training can use this information while they are in the castle. What I was calling a 5 or 6 is according to this list more like an 8. I guess 20 years of chronic severe endometriosis pain worked against me on this one. All that said though - I'm 3 weeks post-op and feeling like the severe pain is a thing of the past. YAY
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Wow, the pain scale descriptions really make a difference. I normally describe moderate pain as minor. When medical people ask you this question they really should accompany it with that chart.
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Ms. B

This is beautiful ...

Unread 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM

I'm glad you like it and it is helping you
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:42 PM

I wish I had had this in the hospital. I kept saying a 4 or a 5 was my rating. My highest was six, but according to this I should have been saying 8 or even 9 sometimes. Hm. As to what kind of pain I experienced, sometimes it was thobbing, sometimes sharp and stabbing, or aching everywhere. Depended on the moment. I would compare some of my pain I have experienced post op to cramping, not my endo pain, but in the same place, and similar. Makes sense I guess since they removed the endo from me, as well as my organs, so those areas are healing now.
I hope this helps
Merr
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merr View Post
I wish I had had this in the hospital. I kept saying a 4 or a 5 was my rating. My highest was six, but according to this I should have been saying 8 or even 9 sometimes. Hm. As to what kind of pain I experienced, sometimes it was thobbing, sometimes sharp and stabbing, or aching everywhere. Depended on the moment. I would compare some of my pain I have experienced post op to cramping, not my endo pain, but in the same place, and similar. Makes sense I guess since they removed the endo from me, as well as my organs, so those areas are healing now.
I hope this helps
Merr
Merr,

yes, it helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register