What to expect? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to expect? What to expect?

Unread 10-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Re: What to expect?

If you're low on funds ( aren't we all these days!) just get a small pillow and gas x - that should be enough! Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2011, 07:19 AM

And ask in the hospital for an abdominal binder - they should give you one!
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:56 AM

I'd add a big pair of comfy pants to the must-have list. I was so swollen after my laparoscopy in Aug that I had to go home in pajamas because I hadnt realized how "puffy" I'd be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2011, 08:08 AM
What to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanese07 View Post
I think from what I've read you get good pain meds for the first day or two from iv then they switch to pills. They want you to walk as soon as possible to prevent blood clots. I'm scheduled for November 14. A TAH With overies/tubes removed. I've learned A LOT from reading post op stories on here. Expessially what to bring to the hospital- my list includes a mini pillow pet, fiber gummies, gas x, a laxative just in case, a soft blanket, pillow, and comfy sweats a size bigger than normal to wear home! Good luck!!
Hi there, my surgery is on the 15 th of november. It will be here before we know it. I keep trying to tell my Hubby the doc called and cancelled.... but he just doesn't believe me..... GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Good Luck to you! I can't believe it's almost here! Im nervously waiting!
Unread 10-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Thank you all so much

I did actually try to convince my hubby it would be better for me to work instead but he's not having it, tired of seeing me in pain all the time, actually so am I come to think of it, I have had this problem since I was 15, gynae probs are no joke and seriously screw up normal living, i am sure you can all relate to that if it wasn't for meds I wouldn't have been able to even hold down a job.

Wishing you all the best, {{{{{HUGS}}}}} for all of us xxxxxxxxxx
Unread 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM

My hubby is worried about what recovery will be like with him having to work and me home with 5 kids! I told my oldest girls they are going to have to help a lot at first! I'm planning on doing nothing the first two weeks at least! Good luck to you! We will make it through this and it will be worth it I just know it!
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM

I am five days post op. I had a lavh on Monday. Went home tuesday afternoon. This is my fifth surgery. I have had three laps and now hysterectomy. I kept ovaries and had uterus and cervix removed. To tell you the truth it will be hard to tell you how it was as EVERYONES recover is different. Me, I am on day five and still on pain meds,but up and walking arounnd and taking care of my four year old. I can't go out yet and all that. I get really tired easy, some from the medical and some from meds. It is my choice to still be on meds right now. others are just on ibuprofen just two days after surgery. SO that should show you that every one is different. It all depends on what kind of surgery too, I have read that the abdominal open one is the hardest its a longer recovery time and all of that. I think docs these days do the lavh or davinci when they can first and fore most. So I would imagine if they can they will and if they see there is a reason they can't they will maybe have to cut you open. I would ask them that and lots of other questions. I drove myself nuts weeks before my surgery and up to day of surgery becuase I was not able to tell exactly how I was going to be feeling after..trust me I know that feeling. Just find out as much info as you can such as what type and if there are any repairs being done. Maybe you can think back to any other surgeries you have had, did you have a hard time recovering with them? I had a lapo done in june just few months ago and it took me five weeks to recover.
You may spend a day or few more in hospital. If you get a choice, I personally would have chosen to stay a day longer in the hospital just because I was not having to get up and had some one waiting on me hand and foot and I think it gives you a better "kick off"
I have kids at home also too though
Good luck
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Thank you! I have to have the TAH because I'm BRCA2 positive and there may be cancer in there. They are doing a "pelvic wash" and biopsying everything, which calls for an abdominal - which I know is harder to heal from. I have a three yr old and a four yr old and a 17,15, and 12 year old at home. The older ones can help out but the whole family seems to think if I'm home from the hospital I must be fine- which I have explained isn't the case! So I'm staying in as long as I can! I have to start driving again at 14 days post op. School and back for 3 kids, which will be challenging I know! I'm more worried about the recovery than about the surgery!
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:19 PM

My surgery is on Tuesday also. I am becoming very anxious. I want it over with, but am really scared of the pain. I am having it DaVinci, and from everything I've read it's relatively painless. I hope I fall into that category.

Been waiting almost 2 months for this to happen, watched the surgery on YouTube. Never should have done that.

Good luck to everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register