What to expect? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to expect? What to expect?

Unread 10-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Re: What to expect?

I was worried about my kids and all more then my recovery as well. If you can and when find a friend who has a ride home maybe that could take your kids home for you. As much help as you can get. I wasnt able to find any one for me, we live out of district. But I taught my eleven year old how to ride the rtd. It is only one bus. and a ten minute ride. So I do not have to ride the bus. The little ones are the challenge, it is keeping them busy is the part. My mom in law had my four year old for five days, they came over every day for dinner and lunch. He is home with me now this weekend, I am six days post. Have your older kids do your dishes and cleaninng. You are not fine just becuase you are home from hospital. Trust me. I over did it today and did dishes. OUCH> Good luck to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Thank you! I know it's going to be rough keeping the little ones occupied. I'm praying a few good friends show up and my mil helps out! I'm not getting out of bed to do anything except short walks for the first two weeks - I've allready warned my family- they're on thier own!
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:17 PM

My surgery isnt until the 29th of November,im having the DaVinci,hubby will take me to the hospital and will bring me home,then the next day he will be back to work,so I will be on my own with 3 small dogs, not the same as kids, but I know I will have to get up and make a bathroom run, and let the dogs out once or twice, I will have stuff in the freezer for hubby, and lately I havent felt like eating alot anyway
which is good I have about 75 lbs that I could lose...
I dont like to eat anything heavy anyway, so will probably try and live on light soup, toast and cereal..
the plan is,hopefully feel well enough at the 2 week mark to go to florida for 2 weeks, and rest up down there also..
I am hoping everyone has a safe and healthy recovery
((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) to you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddykins View Post

Heya,

I am in next Tuesday (11th) I have been told it can be done 2 ways, they will try and pull it through but if they can't they will have to cut through, but as they won't know until they start I will not know how it was done until I wake up.

Please could any of you help me here? I really would like honest answers as what to expect in the first few days post op.

My last child was born by c/sect and I was pretty much running around doing everything by day 6 so I have been pretty laid back about it all, however I am hearing from a lot of people and sites "NO!! This is a wayyyyy bigger deal" so now I am pretty much freaking out!

I have so many questions, I hope you can all help me get some answers and I will try not to be a pest. xxxx

I had TAH, am 9 weeks? post op.

I can tell you about my TAH experience.

Day of surgery....I was scared to death. Went in about 2:00 pm, came out around 4:00.

Woke up a couple of times after surgery but went right back to sleep. Finally Came around at 8:00pm that night. Nurses & hubby were there. The first thing they asked me was how bad is the pain. Then they gave me some IV meds. Hubby went to KFC and got me some mashed potatoes & biscuit. Nurse got me a Sprite. Ahhh, that thing tasted sooooo good.

Middle of the night, nurse came in and asked if I needed anything for pain. I said yes. Was given demerol............felt pretty good. lol

Day 2............nurse removed cath & leg cuffs (for blood clot prevention) I was allowed to go to the bathroom and shower. Was given percocet. Showered, walked around to look at the babies. Went back to bed. More percocet...ate breakfast, lunch, supper.

Day 3............more percocet. Ate breakfast. Was released around 10:00am. Went home, showered, laid on couch all day. I had a lot of pain for the first 3-4 days after I got home but the percocet managed it well. The reason I wasn't hurting so badly in the hospital was because I was on morphine, tramadol, demerol & percocet within 48hrs. lol

If you have TAH, you will have pain for at least 7-6 days after you get home. You will have gas pains that are pretty bad. Take gas-x and stool softeners. The gas lasted about 4 days.

You will lay around for a good 2 weeks but you should be able to get up on your own, shower & even get yourself something to eat or drink within a day or 2. Just be careful.

For me, I still have soreness and tenderness. I still have a swollen belly but I know it will eventually go away.

I go back to work tomorrow. blah !

This surgery took a lot out of me even though I thought I was physically & mentally prepared for it.

I do feel better every week. Remember, it does take TIME to heal, no matter which kind of procedure you have done.

I'm still getting frustrated some days because I'm ready to GET OVER this but I have no control over my healing. My body is trying hard but my mind is wanting it to hurry up. Some weeks you will feel good and the next, you will think you are taking 2 steps back. That is normal.

I'm still waiting for that light at the end of the tunnel. I know I will eventually get there, I just have to be patient..............my problem, I'm the most impatient person there is. lol

I'm still glad I had it done. I just wished I'd done it 9-10 years ago when I was younger.....31-32 years old, and right now, I'd be over it and living a better quality of life instead of "recovering" at my age.

Remember to REST REST REST. No bending or lifting either. Internal stitches take a good 6-10 weeks to heal. You don't want to cause a bladder or vaginal prolapse.

Unread 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM

I wish I had read this before going in a year ago. I feel like I did more harm then good. My doctor told me I'd be ok to walk around after 4 weeks, but, I feel I should have stayed close to home. And I wish I had worn some support around the abdomen as well. I would like to know if anyone has had problem with their bladder after this surgery? Its been a year and I still feel uncomfortable around the bladder.
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:59 PM

I was having pressure/bulging feeling and thought I had done some damage but the doc said everything felt fine and nothing was prolapsing. She said my body was telling me I was doing too much.

I don't have any bladder issues as of right now.

You should go back to your doc and get checked out.

Mine told me I still need to come in for a yearly check up even though I don't have my cervix.
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:18 PM
What to expect?

Quote:
Thank you, I am going to have to do it hard though due to lack of funds, i'm a bait of a saddo right now lol

What do I need to take into hosp with me? I dont know how they are going to do it so i guess i should have something comfy just in case.
Really just take some over sized cloths to go home in. for real though your not going to want to do much at all after. The first day home your going to feel fine but stay on your behind and let those around you do the work cause on day two you'll feel like well nasty. That's how I felt anyway.
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM

I had both my kids c-section and felt pretty good about the surgery until the day before just like you. I had uterus and ovaries removed on 9-15-11 My doctor also told me they may have to cut if they can't get everything out Lapro I woke up to good news and they did not have to cut me. I had a lot more pain/discomfort from the gas they fill your belly with than the incision sites. I had some pain meds via IV for the first night then switched to pills the following day. I was home by noon on day 2 and just kept on my pain meds and ice pack for the first 2-3 days then I was off. Don't forget to take a stool softner, ask for it if they dont offer it...seriously. I was up and walking slowly around the house by day 4 and moving pretty good, the gas they fill your belly with was gone by day 4. The second week I experienced some exhaustion and headaches but got on Hormones and that helped tremndously. I am almost to week 4 and started back to work half days. Since you have experienced the c-section I think you will do great too, very comparitive pain for me, and guess what you wont have a newborn to tend to just yourself. Take it easy, listen to your body and you will to just fine. I brought very lose soft fitting clothes and toilitries to the hospital dont bring anything more than necessity. Best of luck to you I hope everything goes well.
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:51 PM

I understand what your going threw, I had a section as well. My dr said the difference between this and a section is that because you will now have more space your insides start to shift around to take up the area (kind like when hubby gets out of bed in the morning we shift to get more comfy). She also said there are more incisions done on the inside this time.

As for the hospital packing the stuff listed above plus chapstick , non slip slippers and big undies. Also if you can't afford a small pillow for the car ride or driving after to go over your incision my mom said when she had hers she put a sanitary pad inside her clothes between her incision and the belt. sounds like a good way to use up those bulky hospital pads to me. One of my friends suggested wrapping a towel around the lap belt and duct taping it in place once I start driving again for comfort.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I am going to have to do it hard though due to lack of funds, i'm a bait of a saddo right now lol

What do I need to take into hosp with me? I dont know how they are going to do it so i guess i should have something comfy just in case.
I totally understand what your saying about lack of funds. My co-pay and deductible are over $400 dollars, which has to be paid before they will do my surgery. I wanted to do this in November on the 7th so I could purchase things I needed for before and after my surgery. But today my doctor suggested 10/27. So I will have to come up with that outrageous co-pay and get everything else after I come home. Best wished to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register