So Frightened! - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So Frightened! So Frightened!

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Re: So Frightened!

Dear Naturluvr
Don't panic. I am sure your teenagers will help out. They will probably be in school during the day so make sure you have someone to help the first week. Don't read too much post op. I did and it made me scared. We all recover in different ways and we all have different pain thresholds so don't think your recovery will be terrible. Mine was a stellar recovery and I had soooo much fear going into it. Yes, you may be miserable for a week, swelly belly but you will be ok. Remember, each day will get better.
Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM

I was having a lot of trouble sleeping, so I finally swallowed my pride and asked my doctor for help. She prescribed Ambien, and said to just take it when I need it. I can't believe how much better I felt after a couple good nights' sleep! I'm still worried & scared some of the time, but it's not so powerful. I can enjoy myself for a while. I can talk about how I'm feeling without bursting into tears.
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:15 AM

I got home from a 10 hour shift last night and went to bed...didn't sleep at all, got up had a hot drink, wandered around the house like a zombie, went back to bed and watched the clock till 6am, now up and back to work for another 10 hours! Feel terrible, my mind just won't switch off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2011, 07:05 AM

Call your doctor. You can't keep going like this. Do you ever journal, to give your thoughts a way out of your head? It helps me.
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:17 AM

My doctor told me she was not going to be anywhere near my bowels but still wants me to do the bowel prep the day before surgery (Yah me!) I had my pre-op appointment and had to do blood test.

I didn't have to do a chest xray because I am a non-smoker. I have a hospital to meet the anthesiologist, etc a week before the surgery.

Ladies we can and will get through this one day at a time. I have already had a set-back regarding my surgery date; I got called yesterday that they pushed it back a week to November 3 - I was SOOOO mentally and emotionally prepared to do it on Oct 27 (originally scheduled) BUT what can you do? The surgery date is out of my hands so I will go with the flow.
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:30 AM

3rd nov, same day as me!
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:35 AM

Spoke to my surgeon today ( helps that I was working with him ) he has giving me something to help me sleep till 3 rd Nov and tried to reasure me... Dont know but think it's something to do with a man reasuring you about such a female operation??? Maybe it's just
Me? He's sweet though and tried to make me feel better... I don't ! Xxx
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshirelassy View Post
Hi Princesses
Yes, before surgery they will want bloods, including clotting times of blood, ekg and chest xray. Some want cat scans as well. This all gets done close to surgery, say within 6 days of surgery. The bowel prep is the day before. After surgery you will be on clear liquids again for a day or two. Hope this helps.
Hugs
ohh! so we will be on clear liquids for a day or two. well that is good to know. i was a little concerned about that.
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottaye View Post
ohh! so we will be on clear liquids for a day or two. well that is good to know. i was a little concerned about that.
Full clear is what they call it after surgery. This means jello, pudding, broth etc. They gave me a cup of coffee since I reasoned it was a clear liquid! Wouldn't give me a glass of wine though! When I got home I stayed on the jello and added fruit. It takes a while for the bowels to come back and so you don't want constipation and a full digestive system. Mine came back in 3 days cause I did dulcolax stool softener.
Unread 10-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Hi

I did have my pre op vist and all tests. Yesterday got medical clearance lettr. I decided to bring the clearance letter to hospital in person. I bumped into my surgeon. Told him that no one informed me whether or not to do bowel prep. He was surprised and gave me a prescription for that nasty powder.

I keep reading that it goes according to your medical history. I know I have medical isssues and that may have been the reason the Dr did not mentioned bowel prep. When I bumped into him yesterday he didn't have my medical records in front of him.

I'm going to call again. Just to make sure.
Thanks for your help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register