Having hysterectomy on 24 due to epilepsy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having hysterectomy on 24 due to epilepsy Having hysterectomy on 24 due to epilepsy

Unread 10-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Having hysterectomy on 24 due to epilepsy

I'm having my hysterectomy on the 24th because I have epilepsy. I know I don't want to have children because I would probably have to stop taking some of my epilepsy meds or have the dosages lowered. Because of the severity of my epilepsy I can't do that and if I were to get pregnant I don't know what it would do to the child.

I know I could have my tubes tied but with that I would still have peirods. With the birth control I'm on now, deop provara I don't have one. My peirods were very bad and I had a lot of stress when I had them, and stress is a big seizue trigger for me. I am not having my ovaries removed.

It was my choice to have the hysterectomy, I've been asking my gyno for one for a few years now and I'll be 35 on the day of my hysterectomy (my birthday, what a presant) and my gyno finally agreed to do one.

I'm not really nervous or worried about having it, I just don't know if I may have alot of seizures while I'm recovering from the surgery.

Has anyone else gone through this? What was your recevory like and how did it affect your epilepsy?

Any other help or advice about having the hysterectomy would be welcomed to - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Re: Having hysterectomy on 24 due to epilepsy

Im sorry that you are going through all this i do not have this but my aunt has epilepsy i know how stress can make it alot worse my thoughts and prayers are with you! And even though you have having surgery on your birthday it will be a great birthday because i have faith everything will be fine have a wonderful 36th birthday!!!
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:15 PM

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. This must have been a very difficult decision for you.

Recovery from a hysterectomy can be a long and difficult process. I do not know how epilepsy complicates it. Maybe some other women on this site will respond who have experience with epilepsy and hysterectomy. We have many wonderful women willing to help.

Good luck to you.

(((HUGS)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeiredl View Post
I'm having my hysterectomy on the 24th because I have epilepsy. I know I don't want to have children because I would probably have to stop taking some of my epilepsy meds or have the dosages lowered. Because of the severity of my epilepsy I can't do that and if I were to get pregnant I don't know what it would do to the child.

I know I could have my tubes tied but with that I would still have peirods. With the birth control I'm on now, deop provara I don't have one. My peirods were very bad and I had a lot of stress when I had them, and stress is a big seizue trigger for me. I am not having my ovaries removed.

It was my choice to have the hysterectomy, I've been asking my gyno for one for a few years now and I'll be 35 on the day of my hysterectomy (my birthday, what a presant) and my gyno finally agreed to do one.

I'm not really nervous or worried about having it, I just don't know if I may have alot of seizures while I'm recovering from the surgery.

Has anyone else gone through this? What was your recevory like and how did it affect your epilepsy?

Any other help or advice about having the hysterectomy would be welcomed to - thanks!
Hil. I too have epilepsy and have since 1997 maybe sooner but it was not until than they found out. I was taking Ridalin but this keep me on the floor of my bathroom for about two days, I was so spaced out after taking it. Then they put me on Trilepto and later Depakot. I was pregant while on the Dapakot and had to stop taking it while pregnant. I learned to control stress and during my C-Section had my tubes tied. My neurologist felt it was a good thing to do since my faimily was complete. He was concerned also about the effects the medication would have on a fetus. I have not had an seizure since 2004 but still taking medicatin Lamitical twic aday. I will be seeing my GYN/ONC 10/11 and will let him know this since I was not taking it at the time of my first appointment. I am not sure how this will reflect your surgery or mines, but I do know when I had my fibroids remove using laposcopic surgert my GYN did not want to keep me under very long so did the most he could do. If I find out from my doctor I will be more than happy to let you know. Best of wishes.
Unread 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks alot everyone.

I'm not having laposcopic surgery, just a vaganial hysterectomy. I don't know if the two forms of the operation will have any difference or not and I don't know how long I'll be under.

If I find out anything I'll let you know too GuGu22.
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:28 PM

Hello, I also have epilepsy (grand mal seizures). Started in 1988, have been very well controlled on medication since. I'm on carbamazepine (Tegretol CR), the dosages get altered every now & then depending on serum levels. I had a tubal ligation in 1999. I'd had break through bleeding on the pill, even the high dose ones so a permanent fix was needed. A hysterectomy was not an option for me back then due to my age & theoretically I might want more children (I didn't but they didn't take that into consideration).

I'm now close to my 50th birthday & about to have a hyster (TVH) for quality of life reasons (heavy bleeding & increasing period pain). In recent years I've had a number of shorter procedures like endoscopies & hysteroscopy, d&c, all done under general anaesthetic. None of these affected my seizure control. The gynaecologist & anaesthetist do not expect any problems with the hysterectomy but obviously they can't give a guarantee. So, I'm thinking very positive about the whole thing although I will be briefing my partner to make sure the nurses don't forget to administer my anti-epileptic meds.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register