High Total Estrogen Serum | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

High Total Estrogen Serum High Total Estrogen Serum

Unread 10-08-2011, 10:28 PM
High Total Estrogen Serum

I had my blood drawn and the TOTAL ESTROGEN SERUM Came back at 216. The range was 130 or less was normal. My hormone doctor said we are just concerned about estradiol?

My back has been burning with inflammation for almost a year since my hysterectomy. No one has been able to figure it out. An Intuitive friend told me my hormones were attacking my central nervous system. I have been checked for everything under the sun and "no answers". When I took Testosterone and Progesterone I was fine. As soon as I added the estradiol I could barely walk. My joints hurt so back. Been tested for RA. I don not have that.

My Rheumatologist told me to come off of all hormones. She has seen lots of women with inflammation from them. Some people system simply cannot handle it.

My hormone doctor said that is crazy. The hormones are compounded and like my body. But even if I take "Photo B" over the counter , my body reacts to that as well.
I've had my uterus out and kept my ovaries.

Any ideas would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Re: High Total Estrogen Serum

What was your estradiol level then? My DR has never even bothered to run "total estrogen serum", only estradiol, since that is the estrogen that helps with menopausal symptoms.

Why did you add estradiol when you still have your ovaries, if you were fine with just progesterone and testosterone?

What's your FSH level like? That would be an indication of whether or not your ovaries are working, although it sounds as though they are.

Too much estrogen can cause back and joint pain. I'd discontinue the estradiol and go back to just the progesterone and testosterone, if you were fine on those.

You might want to also keep a journal of your symptoms and which hormones you're on as well as vitamins, supplements and other meds.

By the way... what's "Photo B"?

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Google "Phyto B". Many women have been on it for years to stop hot flashes. They claim it really works. It's over the counter here in Florida or you can buy it online for about $30.
My estradiol was 68 , which was good but no one can figure out why I am in so much back pain and sever burning. The estrogen is an excitatory hormone so I think having a fair amount aggravates whatever is attacking my central nervous system. My bladder was cut four times during a hysterectomy and misdiagnosised for four months. I was flown to Johns Hopkins to have it fixed. So I think all of the urine that was flowing around inside me caused a viral infection. Can't think of anything else. It was my Rheumatologist that ran the total estrogen serum. A GYN would not have. I went back on the estradiol thinking I was incorrect about it attacking my joints. Per say it does not, but I think I have other issues . Every time I came off the estrogen ( which by the way made me feel good emotionally) the joint pain would stop. I did it four or five times, I finally ended up on 1 mg of bi-est and I still have the burning in my back. I have an appt with the Rheumatologist on th 27, so we will see what she says. FSH is 47. I have a year long journal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Just FYI... "Phyto B" does not contain any actual estrogen or progesterone, it's an herbal OTC supplement (and an expensive one at that). It *can* be helpful in helping women who still have their ovaries treat menopausal symptoms, especially hot flashes, but it is not a hormone replacement therapy and will not help women in surgical menopause enough to provide relief. It's in the same category as products like Remifemin.

Also, urine does not cause viral infections. Urine itself is sterile. IF you had an active viral infection, it is possible that you could have been shedding viruses in your urine, but you would have had other symptoms of a systemic viral infection at that time.

Has your DR looked at your thyroid hormones? Have you considered seeing an endocrinologist? And, if every time you discontinue estrogen, the pain comes back, why are you still on it (bi-est)?

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
Just FYI... "Phyto B" does not contain any actual estrogen or progesterone, it's an herbal OTC supplement (and an expensive one at that). It *can* be helpful in helping women who still have their ovaries treat menopausal symptoms, especially hot flashes, but it is not a hormone replacement therapy and will not help women in surgical menopause enough to provide relief. It's in the same category as products like Remifemin.

Also, urine does not cause viral infections. Urine itself is sterile. IF you had an active viral infection, it is possible that you could have been shedding viruses in your urine, but you would have had other symptoms of a systemic viral infection at that time.

Has your DR looked at your thyroid hormones? Have you considered seeing an endocrinologist? And, if every time you discontinue estrogen, the pain comes back, why are you still on it (bi-est)?

s,
-Linda
I haven't been on Bi-est in two months. My hormone doctor keep telling me the pain could not be from bio identicals. It wasn't possible. So that is why I kept trying. That is also why I went with Phyto B. Thinking an OTC would work since I still have my ovaries. Although is you google Phyto B you will see lots of people that swear by it. But everyone system is different. I am on bio identical thyroid. Wasn't hyper or hypo but Doc wanted me to be optimal. She said who wants to be at the low range of anything. Plus the labs make their own ranges. Endocrinologist said I was fine. He didn't believe it the compounded thyroid. Although it did raise my levels better.
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:32 PM

The pain would probably not be caused specifically by bioidenticals, but it can be caused by an imbalance in the direction of estrogen dominance, which you clearly have. The same thing happens in women on Tamoxifen, because Tamoxifen acts like estrogen in bone tissue - it can cause severe bone pain because the bone "thinks" it's getting too much estrogen. I experienced that myself and it is one of the reasons I could not take Tamoxifen - the pain was quite severe.

I would not put too much stock in a product people are swearing by on the Internet but where there are no scientific studies to back it up. There is also a 'placebo effect' which happens when people think something will work. And, as I said before, herbs can help a bit with hot flashes in women with ovaries (such as yourself) but they are definitely not the same thing as hormone replacement and won't work for those of us without ovaries.

It makes no sense to be on "bioidentical thyroid" (which is a compounded mixture of T3 and T4) if you were not hypothyroid; it can make you hyperthyroid. I agree with your endocrinologist there.

I'd be looking for a different DR if I were in your situation.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Why are you taking thyroid meds if you do not have a thyroid imbalance? Perhaps that is contributing to some of your problems.

I would not take a product based on Internet opinions. Especially if those opinions are based on those in natural menopause.

Talk with your doctor.
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM

My hormone doctor said I was at the bottom of the thyroid range. Just barely in the range. Her suggestion was to take it and become optimal. Who wants to be at the bottom of any range. Especially since each lab is different. I also had this burning before I started compounded thyroid. It has stopped the feeling of always being cold. She said, too many doctors go my ranges instead of how the patient actually feels.
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
The pain would probably not be caused specifically by bioidenticals, but it can be caused by an imbalance in the direction of estrogen dominance, which you clearly have. The same thing happens in women on Tamoxifen, because Tamoxifen acts like estrogen in bone tissue - it can cause severe bone pain because the bone "thinks" it's getting too much estrogen. I experienced that myself and it is one of the reasons I could not take Tamoxifen - the pain was quite severe.

I would not put too much stock in a product people are swearing by on the Internet but where there are no scientific studies to back it up. There is also a 'placebo effect' which happens when people think something will work. And, as I said before, herbs can help a bit with hot flashes in women with ovaries (such as yourself) but they are definitely not the same thing as hormone replacement and won't work for those of us without ovaries.

It makes no sense to be on "bioidentical thyroid" (which is a compounded mixture of T3 and T4) if you were not hypothyroid; it can make you hyperthyroid. I agree with your endocrinologist there.

I'd be looking for a different DR if I were in your situation.

s,
-Linda
The doctor did tell me to take as much progesterone as I can handle to get in balance with the estrogen. I do remember taking progesterone dissoluble in the am and once the pain went away for the day. Don't know any other way of getting the estrogen down. I have been off if it since Aug 25 2011. But the burning pain is still there. My neurologist gave me gabapentin , thinking it is neurological. But my nerves in my legs went crazy with the dose he offered. So I only took 1/3 and that helped a bit but made my head foggy, dizzy, headache, eye ache. It was awful. He suggested Pain Management which I don't want to do. So I cancelled it. Still hoping its a simple estrogen dominance and that I can some how get it balanced.
Unread 09-15-2015, 09:47 AM
High Total Estrogen Serum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorrie1 View Post
My hormone doctor said I was at the bottom of the thyroid range. Just barely in the range. Her suggestion was to take it and become optimal. Who wants to be at the bottom of any range. Especially since each lab is different. I also had this burning before I started compounded thyroid. It has stopped the feeling of always being cold. She said, too many doctors go my ranges instead of how the patient actually feels.
That means YES YOU ARE HYPOTHYROID. LOW IN RANGE (IS) HYPOTHYROID

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register