Am I going to make it through? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I going to make it through? Am I going to make it through?

Unread 10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Am I going to make it through?

6 days till I go in for surgery. I am scared to death. I am not so nervous about the actual surgery but I am terrified of being put under anesthesia. I can't even seem to think and plan for the recovery process cause I don't know if I'll make it out of surgery. I am in great health and don't smoke or drink. I know I could exercise more but other than that I'm healthy. I think I am so scared cause I don't want my children to be without me. I can't go without the hysterectomy (I have beginning stages of cervical cancer). Everyone says I will be fine but my mind won't stop going over the worst of the worst. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Re: Am I going to make it through????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyDowns View Post
6 days till I go in for surgery. I am scared to death. I am not so nervous about the actual surgery but I am terrified of being put under anesthesia. I can't even seem to think and plan for the recovery process cause I don't know if I'll make it out of surgery. I am in great health and don't smoke or drink. I know I could exercise more but other than that I'm healthy. I think I am so scared cause I don't want my children to be without me. I can't go without the hysterectomy (I have beginning stages of cervical cancer). Everyone says I will be fine but my mind won't stop going over the worst of the worst. :-(
Babe i had the same fears and i do smoke....u will be fine...just pray to God and tell him your fears....god is great...he will hear u....!

Dont be afraid its a bless form god that this was found in the early stages so that u will be here for the children...dont dispair just thank god for saving u and ask him to have mercy on u and your loved ones....xxxxxx

good luck u will get thru it...xxxxxxxxxx
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Re: Am I going to make it through????

This is my fear, as well. I'm a single mom to a special needs child and the thought of my son being without his mom scares me. I mean SERIOUSLY scares me.

I'm a little nervous about recovery but more nervous about simply not making it. I'm in poor health. I'm very heavy, have high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.

I even considered postponing this until I was absolutely sure it was needed...but then I got my period again a few minutes ago. 17 days after it started last time. So yeah, I admit that I need this surgery.
But, I need to live until my son reaches adulthood.
Scared is not the word...Terrified is more like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Am I going to make it through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyDowns View Post
Oh honey, you will be fine. I had the same thoughts. I was terrified I was going to die and leave my kids. I would tell myself to stop thinking this way and then awful thoughts would come back. I am 3 weeks out now and am feeling great. Just focus on those kids and know that God will bring you through this.
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Re: Am I going to make it through?

Hi,
I think it is normal to be scared, but dont let it rule your life. And preparing for your recovery might help you to focus on the fact that you WILL have a recovery! You are going to come through the surgery fine. Yes, there are rare cases where someone has life threatening complications, but they are just that, rare. Millions of women get this surgery every year, only a handful have severe complications. While it is major for us, I think dr's consider a hysterectomy kind of routine, or at least that has been my experience. I know it is scary, but we are all here to pray and/or send positive thoughts your way, and I truely believe you will be ok. I will be thinking of you as your surgery date approaches, and look forward to seeing your posts in the post-op board once you have made it through to the other side.
and

Merr
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Have you thought about having a spinal with sedation? That's what I had done and you still go to sleep but you breathe on your own. The hospital I was at said they rarely put adults under like that anymore, that they use it more for pediatric patients. I don't know if that would make a difference in the fears you're experiencing, but maybe knowing you'll be breathing on your own the whole time would help. Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine! Good Luck Sister!
Unread 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM

I was panning on asking the anethesiologist about the spinal.
It makes me feel better knowing I am not alone in feeling so terrified. Its terrifying putting your life in the hands of others, I am not one to have people make decisions for me. I am so thankful for this site. It has taught me a TON and I enjoy reading post on the post op knowing everyone made it over safetly.
Unread 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Honestly, I too was terrified of anesthesia - never had surgery in my life!
But if you have not had your pre-op. you will find you can discuss all your fears there, and I'm betting you will be reassured. They ask for every detail about your health in order to know exactly how to manage you during the time you are "under". It's the job of the anesthetist (s) to monitor you every minute - you are safer there probably than in your bed asleep!
On my big day, although I was shaking with fright, the "team" who prepared me couldn't have been kinder or more relaxed and cheery, and it made me feel safe. One minute I was on the operating table and the next I was waking up in recovery, and soon wide awake... and talking rationally, too!
Your fears are totally normal, but believe us who have been there - you will get through this just fine - and for ladies who are less fit, who smoke, etc - it will be fine for you, too!
It is a good idea, actually - as has been said - to busy yourself with making plans for your recovery at home, because before you know it, that's what you will be doing, and now's the time to prepare meals ahead, house-clean, or whatever you want to do . The day before my surgery I was SO busy (because I live alone) that I was actually calm. But also because I had just put myself in God's hands. He will take care of you!

Well... I've seen your surgery date, so it won't be for quite a while! Just do some things you enjoy with your family before you start actual preparations!!
Unread 10-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Does my surgery date still say December? It got moved up to the 14th of this month. I thought I changes it. Oopps lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register