Getting ready for surgery 10/17 - what to do about oily hair when it can't be washed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting ready for surgery 10/17 - what to do about oily hair when it can't be washed? Getting ready for surgery 10/17 - what to do about oily hair when it can't be washed?

Unread 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Getting ready for surgery 10/17 - what to do about oily hair when it can't be washed?

I know this is trivial and silly,, I can't believe I am asking this , but I can't help worry about it. I am worrying about EVERYTHING and have found so many answers here, thank you. But as trivial as it sounds I am down to worrying about my hair in the hospital, what do I do? Maybe this is my mind's idea of giving me a break from the worrying I have been doing about the BIG stuff.

If I don't wash my hair every day (sometimes twice a day) it gets really oily. I can't use the dry wash stuff because my skin is so sensitive. Any ideas are appreciated.

Sincerely,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Re: Getting ready for surgery 10/17 - what to do about oily hair when it can't be was

I'd probably just put it in a ponytail, or find a cute ballcap. But I generally live in pony tails and ballcaps.
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Re: Getting ready for surgery 10/17 - what to do about oily hair when it can't be was

Hmm... The only thing I can think of is the dry shampoo. Have you tried the kind that isn't actually dry -- it's a liquid shampoo that you don't wash out, specifically designed for hospital use? The other thing my hairstylist recommends is sprinkling baby powder on your hair brush and then brushing it through your hair.

I wouldn't stress about it, though. Chances are, while you're in the hospital you'll be so weak you won't even have the energy to *think* about washing your hair. At least that's how I felt! I didn't shower or wash my hair for five days! I was in the hospital for three nights and when I came home it took me a good 24 hours to work up the energy to wash my hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM

You will have to take a shower the morning of to use the soap stuff maybe just wash your hair twice and rinse twice I'm not sure it will help but maybe it will for ya and maybe just not use conditioner.. good luck to you. JCSCBROWN ...:-)
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM

I find that my hair is not as oily when I colour it. It might give you a lift to colour your hair before surgery and it will help to control the oil. I also find that hairspray helps too. I know you are not to use any cosmetics before surgery but I did use hairspray so it would stay put. I hope this helps.
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:24 PM

Last year I had 15" of my large intestines removed and ended up with an infection that had to be opened, cleaned out and packed daily until it healed. I was in the hospital for 14 days and was not allowed to bathe or shower.

You can use spray dry shampoos....tresomme makes a good one.. Baby powder is also good to use. I alternated between the two every other day and in the in-between days....I pulled my hair back with clips.

Unread 10-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Depending on what kind of surgery you're having, you might very well be able to shower and thus wash your hair the day after surgery. I had an LSH and could have showered the morning after surgery (about 24 hours after surgery) but was too tired to.

At the hospital where I went, they have these shampoo-in-a-bag things that are basically shower caps with no-rinse WET cleanser in them. Not the same as a real shower, I know, but not dry or powdery, either.

Another alternative is to ask for an old-fashioned bed shampoo! The kind where they place a bin behind your head and actually wash and rinse your hair with shampoo and water. It's kind of a lost art in the nursing world, but it *CAN* be done!!!

Best of luck to you!!
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM

Well, my hair is short, so washing it while having a shower is what I've always done (though I personally wash mine every second day)
The second day after my surgery I had a shower - catheter and all - it was right next to my room. I asked to borrow a hairdryer - no problem! (I didn't think to bring one with me)
I was in hospital 5 days and could have washed my hair with my daily shower, but just washed it twice.

I managed just fine on my own - had a shower seat to sit on when I needed to.

I'm sure you'll find a solution
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:06 PM

In the hospital, the drugs are so powerful you really don't have time to thing about your hair. The staff will be trying to get you up and moving as soon as you can, tho and that will include a shower and shampoo if you need. I didn't stay long enough in the hospital to need a shower and took one at home the next morning. We all find things to worry about. It's the fact that we don't have control over the situation and so we try to fret about every little thing.
Good luck
cheyrl
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Having cared for a bedridden relative with very oily hair I have found several things that work.

Shampoo in a bag
No rinse shampoo
Baby Powder
Dry shampoo
Regular shampoo with the tub that fits under your head on the bed.

Since you know you are probably not washing your hair for a bit I would double shampoo with T-Gel before going in. It really helps cut the grease and will hopefully give you more time between shampoos.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register