Pre op question about smoking- 10/17/2011 Surgery date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre op question about smoking- 10/17/2011 Surgery date Pre op question about smoking- 10/17/2011 Surgery date

Unread 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Pre op question about smoking- 10/17/2011 Surgery date

Hi ~
My Hysterectomy is scheduled for Oct 17th. Im getting nervous, Im PMS ing this week, last one ever! Not looking forward to that pain, and to top it off its been a week since Ive had a cigarette! I quit a week ago, because I was told by my Dr I had to quit 2 weeks before surgery. My question is, what if I slip up and have one or two between now and my surgery? Has anyone else had to deal with this? Im very nervous, and I also have kind of a stressful job. Help!
Thank You for listening!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Re: Pre op question about smoking- 10/17/2011 Surgery date

Hi Princessx4, I have my surgery the same day as you. I quit smoking a few months ago, but still buy a pack now and then when I am stressed out (I know I need to find a better stress reliever). I've been smoking a bit this week myself.

Why did your dr. say not to smoke? Just wondering because I should probably stop also.

Good luck on your surgery!!! And isn't it great to be able to say "my last period EVER!"
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:03 PM

My doc told me the same thing.

First the carbon monoxide? from the cigs causes you to have less oxygen in your blood.

Also, you have a greater risk of getting pneumonia after the surgery.

Because you have less oxygen in your blood, your incision/stitches could heal slower than normal and cause more scaring.

If you ladies can quit, I'd do it.

I smoked until the day before surgery. My nerves couldn't handle having nicotine withdrawal along with the stress of surgery.

My husbands co-worker's father had hernia surgery the same week I had my hysto. He was a smoker. Also about 2 weeks after he was released he was admitted back. He died of complications.............pneumonia/breathing/anesthesia related.

I did quit drinking about 2 weeks before surgery though. Alcohol thins the blood so I can understand why she wanted me to quit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Hi Murphy&Stella,
My Dr. and NP told me to quit because it can cause complications after the surgery (or during). The NP (Nurse Praticioner) told me a story of a woman who had this surgery was a closet smoker, no one knew..not her family or her Dr and when they tried to wake her from the surgery she wasnt breathing on her own, and couldnt wake her. That scared me enough to make me try to quit and also for the reasons I have heard from what Keltec wrote below, Ive also heard that- Which Thank you for replying Keltec! I have to admit I broke down and had a cigarette last night. I had to and I agree I need to find a different stress reliever because I really do want to quit for good. The hardest part for me is my live in boyfriend is still smoking. I have been smoking on (and off when I was pregnant) for 24 years, and I know I cant be around, let alone live with smokers. I will just go right back to it. He does want to quit too, but not at the same time. Thanks for the info Keltec, that story alone has made me think, just stick it out a little longer. I have too much to live for and its just not worth it. Murphy (or Stella?) I would urge you to try throwing the patch on this week or something, just because Ive heard horror stories. It effects everyone differently. If your not "ready" to quit for good, thats ok...just keep thinking to yourself after your surgery you can do what you like...until then head the warnings of your Dr. I am. Its added more stress for me, but in the long run its going to be worth it. LOL Im not even worried about the Surgery! Go figure that one! I'll just be glad to not have any more pain on a monthly basis
Good luck to you! And if you need to talk, just message me! Im a good listener!
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Ok, those are really good reasons to quit before surgery. I can only imagine how hard it is to live with someone who still smokes, though. Good luck to you!

I've used the patch before and don't think I need it. I just need to not light up (can't have any laying around or I'll smoke 'em). Gonna toss 'em today and stay strong.

Funny, I'm not worried about the surgery anymore, either. I'm actually kinda looking forward to it - life will be so much better afterwards!

Take care, Princessx4!

Hugs-
Murphy&Stella (those are my cats names)
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM

i smoke n did before n after surgery ..... im ok ....x
Unread 10-16-2011, 04:54 PM

HI. I am a smoker. BEEN trying to quit. Tried Champix, but it didn't work. The Patch works as long as I have it on. I can't leave it on 24/7 because it bothers me, and the minute its off, I want a cigarette!!! HOW SAD IS THAT? I have been told that I can't smoke 48 hours prior to surgery. I won't, but I will be a '******' the entire time. I have already warned my DH. It will be bad enough having to do the bowel prep, and being miserable from that, then being so stressed about the surgery, NOT SMOKING will make me crazy!! I would give anything to give it up, but I just don't seem to be able to. IT IS AN ADDICTION for sure!!
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Hi ladies... I was told no smoking 24 hours before surgery, so today I'm not smoking at all! Its tough but the OR nurse who called the other day said this is what the Anesthesiologist requests.. She said just to limit my smoking to a minimum this last week, so thats what I did, and I have the patch on today. Good luck to you all with a speedy recovery! I just hope I can sleep tonight, I have to wake up at 4am to leave by 5am for the hospital tomorrow, I'm so anxious to get this over!
Unread 10-16-2011, 06:02 PM

No one told me to quit before the surgery and I smoked right up to the second I couldnt anymore (car parked in castle lot). I was dx with endo cancer and in the pre op area I asked the anestholgist about it and he said it made no difference on his end but for me I would cough more than a non smoker and I got the regluar reasons for how smoking is bad for you, which I know we all know. Yes its a addiction but with all the stress they understand it would be hard to quit and didnt even mention too. Good luck honey, you will be fine and its not as scary or painful as you are thinking. Hugs and prayers!
Unread 10-16-2011, 06:09 PM

I would not smoke. You will have a better surgery. I can say I quite a month before my lap in may. I am still quit. I quit cold turkey. Husband smokes but not around me.
Stuff your face with food, do anything to not smoke. What is happening is your mind is thinking maybe i can have just one or two smokes and not smoke after that. But- You will end up continuing to smoke. Just ride it out girly I know you can.
Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register