Scheduled TVH Having surgery Nov 22, and I want to know what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having surgery Nov 22, and I want to know what to expect Having surgery Nov 22, and I want to know what to expect

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Having surgery Nov 22, and I want to know what to expect

I am getting a TVH next month, and I want to know what to expect. My Dr said I will wake up with packing in my vagina & a cath, and it all sounds a little freaky to me. I'm worried about the pain afterwards, and how long does the really strong pain usually last? I'm getting it done because my periods are horrible, heavy and painful, and last almost 3 weeks each cycle (my cycles are 28 days). I have kids, and have already decided I don't want anymore (tubal back in may this year) and I'm looking forward to no more period hell ever again I'm 28 years old, and I don't really know anyone who has had it done, so I really want to know what to expect, and what it feels like, etc. Im so glad I found this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Re: Having surgery Nov 22, and I want to know what to expect

yes this site is wonderful !!! well I didn't have any packing but I did have a catheter. I know a catheter sounds horrible but I have to say it is really a wonderful advantage to not have to get up to go pee. Especially when you're trying to drink a lot of water to not get constipated from the pain meds. I was in the hospital overnight after davini proceedure in the morning. I was discharged to go home the next evening. I got some kind of special pain medicine pumped into my IV. I forget the name but something with a bunch of tylenol? They brought me warmed up towels to put on my belly - I loved those. I was able to eat soft stuff right away. I was comfortable after I woke up just really tired. They would keep asking me how is your pain on a level of 1 to 10 ten being worst. Mostly I was a 1 or 2. I don't think it got higher than a 3 - but hey us ladies suffering from painful periods are used to lots of pain. Sometimes I wonder if my 3 would be my hubby's 5. Anyway. Before they wheeled me into the operating room I hung out on a bed with this air filled blanket on me. It had warm air going through it. Funky. Then also when I was in my room after there were these funky air pumped sock things on my feet. I forget if it was my feet like socks or just around my calves. I was able to take the 8 steps to the bathroom by myself the first time but I needed help to get out of bed. That was one of the hardest things was getting up and back into bed. There's a video out there maybe on youtube that shows you how you're supposed to get out of bed. Basically you roll onto your side and push yourself up. Anyway I'm sure more people will post and tell you more. You'll do just fine. It is so great to not have a period. I have jars and jars of Aleve and Tylenol around my house that I no longer need !!! Take care.
Unread 10-10-2011, 10:32 AM

I had my TVH on July 27th....BEST THING I EVER DID

Here's a link to my full story.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=450870

Best of luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Police bound
I was relieved to read your story as I'm sure the starter of this discussion was. I am having a tvh beginning of dec. I'm such a WRECK. They told me just overnight do you think you could have gone home after just one night I just dont know that I feel comfortable with that. I had my gallbladder out last year all lap procedure no complications and i was barely ready to go after the overnight stay
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Having surgery Nov 22, and I want to know what to expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullof??? View Post
Police bound
I was relieved to read your story as I'm sure the starter of this discussion was. I am having a tvh beginning of dec. I'm such a WRECK. They told me just overnight do you think you could have gone home after just one night I just dont know that I feel comfortable with that. I had my gallbladder out last year all lap procedure no complications and i was barely ready to go after the overnight stay
I had an anterior repair as well as TVT, that's why I stayed an extra night. Depends on your doc. On my 3rd day, the doc asked me if I felt comfortable enough to go home I said yes, that's why he discharged me. If you aren't up to leaving let him know.
Unread 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM

I had a lvh and stayed over one night. Compared to the amount of pain I had with my periods, I had NO pain after my surgery. I was sore, but it was like I did 200 sit ups kind of sore, nothing like what I was expecting. I had a catheter, and those things that squeeze your legs to prevent blood clots. Neither of those really bothered me.

Once I was mobile, I shuffled around the room quite a bit, to the chair, to the bathroom, back to the bed. It was hard getting out of bed, but it was because of those bars that make it so you don't fall out. Once I was home, it was no problem getting out of bed.

I didn't have any packing, so I can't answer that question. Will they take it out before you go home?

My stitches were fine - no itching or anything. I just showered and had to let them air dry. I just laid on the bed and read my book for 20 minutes while I air dried!

Good luck on your surgery!
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:37 PM

I had a TVH July 20. I did not have my vagina packed when I woke but did have a catheter. The catheter was taken out the next morning and it did not hurt. Minimal bleeding and spotting after the surgery, panty liners would have been plenty. I stayed in hospital for two nights. The pain is subjective, what is a lot of pain for one person may not be for someone else. I am almost 3 months out and I still have pain. For the first few days or so it helps if you take your meds regularly and that way you keep on top of it. Make sure you have Gas X and stool softeners to help with the gas pains and the first couple BM's. I hope everything goes well for you.
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:59 AM

I had TAH 9/29 with left ovary;uterus;cevix and appendix removed. Bilateral sents were placed in the urters by urologist and general surgeon assisted my GYN due to poss colon resection r/t endo. I was so terrified I was sure I'd come out of surgery with colostomy and nephrostomy. (Im a hospice nurse so that sure didnt help!) The horror story I painted didn't happen. I have a 6 in lower pelvic incision..little to no pain. Out of hospital in 2 days and now recovering at home nicely with help of friends and family to provide meals and households chores. I purchased a abd binder which I like to support my "sweely-bellY". Bascially i"m driving short distance;climbing my stairs..doing 100% better then I ever imagined. You're going be fine! The picture we paint in our minds is far worse then reality. Giving up "control" was so hard for me..but i figured I trusted my doctors and the hospital environment. Just gotta relax...gets better day by day! PS True about the gas pains and stay on top of constipation post-op
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:53 AM

I had a tvh on 9/26 i did not have any packing either and the first week was the worst pain but in week too its getting better i stayed overnight my cathater was out by midnight the day i had surgery
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Thank you so much ladies! I feel a lot better PoliceBound, your story helped me the most *hugs*
Again, I am SO glad I found this site! I'm actually wishing my surgery was sooner just so I can get it over with

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register