Surgery on Friday - stressing out!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery on Friday - stressing out!!! Surgery on Friday - stressing out!!!

Unread 10-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Surgery on Friday - stressing out!!!

Hi Ladies,

I am scheduled for a Davinci partial hyst. this Friday and I am freaking out. I don't want to go through with it - every last part of this terrifies me, but there is this part of me that things going on in there may be worse than suspected, and that if I DON'T do it, I will regret it later on down the road. Here is my lowdown: In 2009 I was diagnosed with a 4 cm fibroid and had to have a D&C due to my lining being 16mm (they couldnt do the biopsy in office). Everything came back benign, just a fibroid and polyps. Well the polyps grew back within 8 months. My periods are usually horrendous on only the first day - large clots, lots of blood, sometimes the cramps are so bad I vomit, other times manageable. But I spot throughout the month - if I have sex, I bleed. If I exercise too much, I bleed. When I stress out, I bleed. I also have some bladder issues - I pee like a pregnant woman, and as soon as I am done going, I feel like I have to go again. I also leak as the fibroid is pressing on my bladder. I have been living with all of this just waiting for menopause to come clear all this up - but I am only 40, so that may not come for some time. I would rather deal with all this than surgery. Over the summer I went for an u/s to monitor the fibroid - it had grown to 6.6 cm, (didn't think anything of it), had a complex cyst on one ovary (know that this can be perfectly normal if you are still menstruating), polyps again, and thought that was it. However this time they also found fluid in my uterus. And over the past few months, I have also been having this clear discharge in addition to everything else. My doc orders a CA-125 test, and says I need another biopsy, because the fluid and polyps should not be there. I had the blood test done at the clinic I work for. It came back at 215 - which prompted myself, and my doc/friends to freak a bit. To make a long story short, I have had multiple diagnostic tests since, and they also managed a biopsy in my gyno's office. The biopsy came back normal, however my MRI shows that this 'mass' is 8.4cm now, fills up my entire endometrial cavity and is either a 'large complex submucosal fibroid with internal cystic changes' or I have 'diffuse adenomyosis with an adenymoma mass' since the borders are so ill defined. I also have a 3cm cyst on my ovary, and, for good measure, a herniated disk (love that). I have huge (endo) cancer head now - especially since I dont see how great of a biopsy they can get when this thing has completely taken over my uterus. My gyn thinks I am all benign, and the CA-125 was a false positive. My docs at work (some of which specialize in women's health), don't think I need a gyn/onc consult, but that I need this out asap. My gyn also is an excellent surgeon with many many years exp - so they feel he is well qualified to handle this. I respect their opinions since they are also friends. But this surgery is freaking me out - the anesthesia, the pain afterwards, the not being able to do anything for weeks, etc. I had one well meaning nurse friend tell me how she has seen the surgery and how rough they are in there, and how I can feel like I am having a heart attack afterwards due to the pressure from the gas - UGH!!!! Sorry for being so long - I guess I just needed to vent - my husband doesn't know what to do with me anymore, and I don't really have anyone to talk to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Re: Surgery on Friday - stressing out!!!

It's TOTALLY understandable to freak out about surgery BUT do you and can you really live a life worth living without the surgery? With all the irregular bleeding and pain?

Sure after the surgery you have to take it easy but everything you have to go through after the surgery can be managed. Leaving things as they are is NOT manageable and you are entitled to a life worth living. We are all here for you and we all have a story to tell.

Perhaps you can find even more comfort reading about post surgery experiences as well as posting a question with your condition so other sisters that have gone through similar conditions can offer you solace from their experience.

In any event, if you need to keep ranting, raving, venting or just getting it off your chest DO so. We're all here and sending our hopes, wishes, prayers for you to get through this. Take care and hang on in there!
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:19 AM

Dear twentytwice,

Soon you will have all the questions answered.
Until then, you get to trust that your doctor is going to do an excellent job.

Spend these last few days in preparation.
Clean the house, do some shopping.
Treat yourself to a couple of new books at the bookstore.

My surgery is about 2 weeks after you.
We just need to keep re-focusing on the recovery, and how we will allow ourselves to recover well!

Yes, I know it is hard.
In the middle of this storm, I am praying for you to have peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM

dear twentytwice.
my surgery is on the 28th of this month. i understand your stress. beleive me, i'm going through it too. i want this to be over with so bad. sweetie, belevie you me, you are not alone. we all must pray for each other. i have about three or four fibroids that has to come out. they are the size of a six month old fetus. so these bad boys has to come out. all i want them to do is take everything out and put me under so i won't feel a thing. i've been going through a lot of stress too but i've also been trying to keep busy by redecorating my den and cleaning my house as well. anything to keep me from going insane. my sister and boyfriend will be comming in to be with me. so it will be good to have loved ones around to help you. and yeah, i know we are going to go crazy sitting around at home the recovering weeks cause to be honest, i don't like to stay at home all that much. so recovery for me is going to be a challenge. but the main thing is that we got to do exactly what our doctors tells us to do so we can recover quickly. cause i tell you, i want to get back into my life routine. i like to cruise a lot and i have a cruise comming up in may of next year. i truly want to be ready for that. so sweetie, we are going to be alright. i just know we are. hang in there sweetie! God and our Hyster Sisters is on our side!
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Dear twentytwice,

I am very sorry you are going thru this but I wanted to share with you my experience because our stories are almost identical. My problems started in 2009 also and I was diagnosed with fibroids, byopsy came back normal. My doctor tried for over a year to control the severe bleeding with different types of birth control pills. The pills would work for a month or so and then stop working. In June 2010, they stopped working and I bled everyday for several months. My gyn was doing nothing about it and acted as if I should deal with it. At this point I was also seeing a hematologist because I had become severly anemic. After a trip to the ER one night with uncontrollable bleeding I ended up with an emergency D&C. At this point I switched gyn. My new DR has been fabulous, he first tried removing the large fibroid hoping that would do the trick and I could avoid hysterectomy. Well, that didn't work either so 6 months later I had the surgery. My DR also performed my surgery using the da Vinci method. I was very freaked out and stressed by at all as the only procedures I had ever had done were the D&C and fibroid removal, no major surjery ever. I am only 35 years old also.

I'm happy to tell you that I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow and so glad I did it. My DR was wonderful and the recovery time from da Vinci is typically faster than with other methods. Also, I have really had no pain at all. I wasn't even in any pain when I woke up in recovery, of course I had pain medication but it was doing the trick. The gas pains are the only thing I really had pain from and it wasn't unbearable just uncomfortable.

Good luck with your journey! Sending hugs and prayers your way.
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:37 AM

I scheduled the same day as you. You and I can freak out together. What time is your surgery?
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:13 AM

I'm sorry that you are so stressed. I had my DaVinci 3 months ago and I remember feeling the same way, but mine turned out really well.

I am 42. I bled almost constantly. I had similar periods to you - huge clots the first day with floods of blood. I was severely anemic and ended up with them transfusing 7 units of blood in roughly 2 weeks in early May.

I had a huge polyp that was biopsed in my gynecologist's office. The first biopsy showed no cancerous or pre-cancerous cells. About a week later, the polyp was mostly removed with a D & C. That biopsy showed pre-cancerous cells. I had a total hysterectomy in early July. I had a DaVinci procedure, but also ended up with a 6" horizontal incision to remove my uterus. The biopsy after my hysterectomy showed only pre-cancerous cells, no cancer.

My recovery has been pretty easy. I didn't suffer from the gas pains in my chest / shoulders your nurse friend spoke of, but I did have a lot of gas out the other end. ;0) I did end up in the hospital for 3 nights instead of 1, but it wasn't too bad.

I do / did suffer from bowel problems since my surgery, which, from reading here, I've found are totally normal. I had a lot of cramping because of gas and some constipation. I had to take stool softeners for a while. The bowel problems were probably the worst part of my recovery, but they have mostly subsided now.

Once I came home I continued walking daily and I didn't really have much pain. I was exhausted for along time, taking naps and going to bed very early, but I guess that is to be expected after major surgery.

I went back to work 8 days after my surgery, with a lot of help from my mom (I run a home daycare), and that has been going very well.

Now 3 months out, I think it was the best possible thing I could have done for myself. I haven't worn a pad since my trip to the hospital. There is no more bleeding or pain.

I had a total hysterectomy and my menopause symptoms have been pretty mild. I have had some night sweats, some hair loss, a couple of hot flashes, and some mood swings. For the most part, aside from the hair loss, those things have greatly diminished. They aren't really causing me any problems.

By the way, I used to "pee like a pregnant woman" also! If I wasn't leaking blood, I was leaking urine. ALL of my pee problems disappeared immediately after surgery. I haven't had ANY problems at all. :0)

Good luck on your surgery!
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM

Thank you SO much everyone for the kind words and support - it has really calmed me down (at least for today, lol) I feel like I have multiple personalities lately, but the one currently is a much calmer one

@mellydowns - They didn't give me a time necessarily for surgery yet, just told me to be at the hospital at 6am. I am hoping though I am one of the earlier surgeries, and won't have to wait around (and stress more about it) that day,
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM

I have to be there at 830 and surgery at 1030. I will be thinking of you and hope our day goes smooth for us
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyDowns View Post
I have to be there at 830 and surgery at 1030. I will be thinking of you and hope our day goes smooth for us
You will be in my thoughts and prayers that day as well If I have to be there so early, hopefully that means that I can get in (and out!) of surgery early!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register