Do you need to liquid diet before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you need to liquid diet before surgery? Do you need to liquid diet before surgery?

Unread 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Do you need to liquid diet before surgery?

I was wondering the week before surgery is that when you do a liquid diet? What actually happens the week before surgery? Any help is appreciated. Cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Re: Do you need to liquid diet before surgery?

Cat, were you given any pre-surgery instructions? The hospital where I had my surgery sent me a packet of instructions as did my doctor's office. Depending on your procedure and your doctor most have to follow a clear liquid diet and do a bowel prep the day before surgery. I had to do both. It might be a good idea to call your doctor and ask when you will be given specific information. When is your pre-op? Maybe you will be given info then? Waiting is hard but knowing what is going to happen will ease your mind somewhat. Hope this helps!
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:50 PM

My prep is Nov 28th I know it's far away but I'm kinda scared and want to know as much as I can, sorry this sounds trivial I guess, but just something I thought of and wanted an answer, I'm having a supra cervical hysterectomy for prolapsed uterus with cystocele and rectocele repair I'm also wondering how long a hospital stay will be I'm her only patient that day she told me it's a 51/2 hour surgery and a 1 overnight stay) doesn't seem right, but she,s the doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Cat, I also had pre-op instructions to follow. Bowel prep the night before, fasting from midnight. I also decided to have a light diet the day before, so as not to bulk up my bowel. It seems that there is a lot of variation on pre-op prep depending on your surgeon - make sure you find out. Best wishes, I think this is the most nerve wracking week, keep busy, prepare for recovery.
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Cat, your questions are not trivial at all. At one point, I nearly worked myself into a panic attack stressing and worrying about this surgery. I am kind of confused though. Your pre-op is the same day as your surgery? A good book to help prepare you and answer a lot of questions is : The Essential Guide To Hysterectomy : a gynecologist's advice on your choices before, during, and after surgery, including alternatives to hysterectomy - Author - Lauren F. Streicher I checked it out at my local library and found it really helpful. It has a great section on what to expect the day of your surgery. Check it out if you get a chance! Hang in there! Most if not all of us have been where you are right now.
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM

No no I'm sorry my pre op is Nov 17th see that's how flustered I am about all this like I said my op is awhile away but I'm so very nervous looking for all kinds of encouragement it almost feels like I want to back out but only because I never had surgery before my kid did when he was 8 and I was the one freaking out he did great. Now he,s 23 and telling me I'll do fine. I'm sure it will all go ok I just want that day to be over with, thanks. cat
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:40 PM

I think it all depends on your surgeon. I am seven days post lavh and i had no liquid diet prior. I only couldn't eat or drink after midnight the night before just like a regular surgery,. I have seen some ladies have to do liquid diet and bowel prep. The only bowel prep I had to do was a enema the night before also. Good luck
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM

LOL . It will be allright! It really will. My hysterectomy was my third major surgery so I had some inkling of what to expect as far as being hospitalized and all. I was more concerned about how I was going to feel afterwards and really freaked out about all the possible complications that could happen. Please try to relax in the meantime. You will be just fine. We are here for you.
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Sometimes it seems there are as many different pre-op orders as there are patients.

In my case, I had no pre-op diet instructions, and also no bowel prep at all. I could have gone out for a steak and lobster dinner the night before my surgery, as long as I was done eating and drinking at midnight.

I did decide to eat just a little "lighter" the two days before surgery, but that was really just because I was getting a little anxious -- and when I'm anxious, heavy foods just don't "sit" well with my GI tract, if you catch my drift.

I must say, though, that the bowl of ice cream I had at 10:30 the night before surgery really tasted good.

to you as you make your final preparations.
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:12 PM

I was told to do my prep the day before my surgery. So Wednesday (Oct 12th) will be my day. I will be busy tomorrow making jello tomorrow...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register