I want to keep my ovaries!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I want to keep my ovaries!! I want to keep my ovaries!!

Unread 10-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I want to keep my ovaries!!

A D&C biopsy showed complex hyperplasia with atypia (precancerous)-most probably caused by ME (using estrogen patch without progesterone ) (boy do I feel dumb)! but if my surgeon sees NO cancer when he removes my uterus on October 24th, I want to leave the ovaries in for the health protection from heart disease, osteoporosis, dementia, etc but they (3 opinions) say while there, just take them out so you'll never have to worry about ovarian cancer. I'm 54 with NO family hx of breast, uterine, cervical or ovarian cancer. If that is the philosophy- then why not just take out my colon and pancreas and whatever else too!! Anyone else with thoughts or suggestions? I would appreciate it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Re: I want to keep my ovaries!!

Hi SueSueL,

When I had my hyst... I decided to keep my ovaries...since they were healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in my family. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that 5 percent of women get ovarian cancer...so that was good odds for me. Like you I thought of the health advantages in leaving my ovaries after my hyst. And like you also mentioned... I was not prepared to have my healthy ovaries removed...to prevent something that might never happen.

Drs give us options...and we make the final decision when it comes to our bodies. So do what feels right for you...when it comes to your ovaries. In my case, I am still very happy I left my ovaries...and my hyst was seven years ago now.

Best wishes

Mary
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Here's my opinion, and of course it's just that -- my opinion.

There are all sorts of valid reasons to remove ovaries at the time of a hysterectomy. However, the words "While we're in there....." do not normally precede a good reason. And as you said, would they suggest removing your pancreas, just in case you develop pancreatic cancer?

Even if you are through menopause, your ovaries do not stop producing hormones -- they simply produce the hormones at a lower rate.

When I had my surgery, I said I wanted to keep my ovaries if they were healthy. They were, so they stayed.

There is a chance that somewhere down the road, you'll have to undergo surgery to remove your ovaries. But there's also a very good chance you'll have them with you for the rest of your life.

With no family history and no personal history of ovary issues, I'd stick to my guns, and tell the that if he/she is in the midst of surgery and feels the ovaries need to come out, your medical power of attorney (husband, partner, whatever) needs to be consulted first. That way they will have to get express consent for their removal.

to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM

{{{{mjd2491}}}}<----- I totally agree with her. My doctor wanted to take mine out in the worst way in order to prevent ovarian cancer just like your doctor. He stopped hassling me about it when I told him to take my arms, legs and breasts too while he was at it to prevent cancer (I am not a meek or mild patient. ). Once inside, he discovered some superficial endometriosis on my ovaries and once again, he discussed taking them out with his resident. He left them in because I hadn't signed for the removal. He cauterized the endo and I am very happy to continue having my ovaries. If you have no history or reason to have them removed, then I agree with you about keeping them in.
Unread 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM

I had a TVH, I told my surgeon if my ovaries looked good I want to keep them.

So, during my surgery, he saw a cyst on one of my ovaries, he burst it, it was clear fluid...so he put both of them back in.

I say (and its just my opinion), if there's nothing wrong with them, why get rid of them? I heard and have read sugical menopause is aweful.

Best wishes!
Unread 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM

When we first discussed the hysterectomy, my doctor suggested removing my ovaries since I'm 48 ("well, if you were 38, it would be different"). I told her I would think about it. After doing a lot of research, I've decided to keep them. I have no family history of ovarian cancer (just cysts), and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say.

At my pre-op I told her I had decided to keep them. She agreed that if she saw any cysts she would drain them, and if they looked good she would leave them. She then crossed out the BSO portion of my consent form, which I then gladly signed.

It's important to do your own research and make your own decisions - we have so much information available to us nowadays, it's wonderful.

Best of luck with your surgery and your decision!!
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:08 PM

I agree with the other ladies if there's no cancer, don't take them "in case". If they do find endometrial ca once in there, will they remove them? That might be a different issue then. But I'm with you, where does it end, taking organs because they "might" get cancer later? Best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM

I guess I am the one that did not keep them... I have had cysts all of my reproductive life (painful ones that have been removed surgically several times) and honestly- since I have so much cancer in my family (ovarian, breast, lung, skin- you name it...) I went ahead and had them take the ovaries. Honestly, I hated having it done because I dont have any children- but dont want cancer either... and with all of the cysts (not the fluid ones either)- I was just tired of hurting and dreaded having this done and dealing with that cyst pain again.

Saying all of this... if I had not have had all of the problems I have had- I would have kept them... for health reasons. I discussed with my doctor the ins and outs of both situations- but for me, the cons outweighed the pros...
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:54 PM

I had a obgyn appointment today, she asked if I had any questions, I said just one, what are you removing? She said just your uterus and cervix. She didn't see anything that indicated my ovaries should be removed. I'm glad I'm keeping them as I take enough meds for other health problems and adding more to it would be a pain to keep track of everyday.

Good luck, I hope you get to keep yours as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register