is it too late to talk about hyst options? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is it too late to talk about hyst options? is it too late to talk about hyst options?

Unread 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
is it too late to talk about hyst options?

I signed my consent form over a year ago for a vag hyst for suspected adeno but haven't seen my surgeon since, my preop is Thursday but I won't see him until my sx Oct 19, where I havet to sign new consent forms. I didn't know my options last year but would really like to keep my cervix...my adeno I will assume has affected my uterus not my cervix, the recovery time is quicker, and lastly my DH is a very well endowed man so I worry about losing vaginal length.
How do I go about this where my surgeon is so busy I can't see him until the big day? Can I even keep my cervix if the procedure is done vaginally? Can I ask for a supracervical switch the day of?
pls advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Re: is it too late to talk about hyst options?

Hi Trinket101,

I had a LSH...the surgery type you would like to change to. In reference to the cervix...I am very glad with my decision to keep my cervix.

My Dr decided I was a good candidate to keep my cervix since my cervix was sturdy...and I had normal pap smears for years.

With a vaginal hyst...the cervix is removed. With my LSH, I had two small hip incisions...and my hyst was not done through them.

Might you call you Dr and talk to him on the phone before your surgery date?? Or does your Dr have a office web site where you can e-mail him with your question about a surgery-type change ??

Hope that helps.

Best wishes

Mary
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM

In no way am I trying to tell you to lose the cervix (it's only a decision you can make!) but I was always told that with adeno, you may still have mini-periods if it's left in tact. I'm trying to decide which is better.... cervix + mini-periods..... or no cervix and possibility of 'issues'...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Your doc will need to know your wishes beforehand. Address this at your pre-op Thursday and let them know, so s/he can have a heads up! Best of luck on your surgery and keep posting!
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Talk to your doctor! As I am sure you have noticed, many women here who were able to keep their cervix had much easier times of their recoveries. It can also help with prolapse and other issues, some of which you allude to.

Mini periods are a possibility but most docs cauterize the cervix to minimize that possibility. Personally, I stopped bleeding in earnest the day that I had my LSH & really only spotted for a few days at best immediately post op (and barely spotted - very little light pink discharge).

Talk with your doc & good luck.
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM

thank you for your help ladies...I called today and was told to come in to see him tomorrow at 9AM...I hope he's not mad at the last minute change, but it sounds like this is going to be better for me.
Wish me luck in the morning!
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:16 PM

If your uterus is removed vaginally you have no choice in keeping the cervix so if you wish to keep the cervix you must make your choice known and REMEMBER if your cervix is healthy you have the right to keep it. I doubt your doctor will be mad that you changed your mind and if so WHO CARES!!! Its your cervix and you have the right to voice your opinion and keep it if you want to. YOU are your first doctor. Be loud, Be vigilant and make your wishes heard!
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:29 PM

I am glad you called and made an appointment! We should never go into OR unless we have thoroughly discussed all of the options and all of the pros and cons with our doctor!

One thing you do need to know--the cervix is the neck, or bottom portion, of the uterus. It is not a separate organ. Since the cervix is part of the uterus, endometrial lining can be left with the cervical portion. If that endometrial lining also has adenomyosis, then your pain and bleeding issues could continue. As others have mentioned, mini periods can also occur if you keep at least one ovary. This isn't a problem for some, but is for others.

Generally speaking, a vaginal hysterectomy means the cervix will be removed as it is delivered first. There is a procedure done in some countries where the cervix is put back but it is not the norm. Thus, your surgeon will more than likely have to be able to do an alternative procedure if keeping the cervix is an option for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register