How long was your hospital stay? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long was your hospital stay? How long was your hospital stay?

Unread 10-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Re: How long was your hospital stay?

I am having a LAVH on Oct 27 and my doctor told me to expect to spend the night in the hospital one night and then be transferred to my HMO facility for 1-2 nights. I ALWAYS love staying in the hospital as long as I can(best round the clock service available-lol)

I am preparing to be in the hospital for the 3 days because I too am severly anemic BUT I can not tolerate iron pills or liquid and had 6 iron infusions over the summer so I just assume I may need to be hospitalized longer than necessary to make sure my anemia is fine before sending me home.

I have two adult sons who will be home with me during the day and MY DUDE has a truck driving job in our town so I know he will be stopping by regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM

lol...I love being in the hospital as well, I call it my vacation since I only have to worry about me. I don't mind the food either, especially since the nurses told me if there is something I really want, to write it on the bottom of my menu and the cafeteria will send it if they have it and doesn't go against drs orders. I'm thinking sneaking down to the little kitchenette for a midnight snack will be my incentive to get me up and moving.
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingokitten View Post
It's great to hear from someone who has gone through exactly what I'm going through. Anemia sucks! I am so tired all the time. And my building manager decided to do unit inspections and was not happy mine was such a mess(there wasn't garbage just lots of laundry and hand prints on the walls) but I'm so tired all the time it's hard, so she's given me until 5 days before surgery to get it to her standards and paint the whole place. Arrrgh!

Did you have to have any transfusions right after surgery?

Do you think that the anemia slowed your recovery or didn't make much of a difference?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think about it more. : )
I agree with you completely! Anemia totally sucks!! As does your building manager. I can't believe she wants you to take care of all of that before your surgery. Do you have someone to help you?

To answer your questions:

I didn't have any transfusions right after surgery. I was fortunate to have had a D & C in late May which solved my bleeding problem. My hemoglobin levels started creeping up slowly once my gynecologist got the bleeding stopped by removing my uterine polyp.

I did have 2 blood transfusions in the weeks prior to the D & C and then a blood transfusion as I was in surgery for the D & C. I ended up getting 7 units over the two or so weeks.

My hemoglobin levels were just barely normal when I had my hysterectomy in early July. My levels did drop during / after my hysterectomy, but apparently they were high enough that I didn't require another transfusion.

I really don't think my anemia slowed my recovery from either surgery. In fact, I had great recoveries from both. I felt SO much more energy as my blood levels rose.

I hope your recovery goes as well as mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the reply!

No, help getting this all done before surgery so far, I'm still working on getting some. And yes she does suck...lol.

My gynecologist has been trying to control my bleeding with cyclokapron so I've had heavy blood loss as recently as 2 weeks ago and it started again last night but has been light so far.

I'm hoping at my pre-op tomorrow the levels will be normal.

It's good to know it will all be over soon.
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:19 AM

I had an LSH on a Wednesday morning, and on Thursday morning my doctor wrote my discharge orders. But I didn't feel 100% certain about going home yet, even though my pain was well under control and I was feeling decent, so I stayed another night. And I'm glad I did, because that second night the pain spiked (nothing intolerable, but I'm glad I had professionals taking care of me with access to the big gun meds!). So, my total hospital stay was from Wednesday at 0630 until Friday at noon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register