Maybe a totally crazy question. . .I'm not thrilled by the idea of vaginal option | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Maybe a totally crazy question. . .I'm not thrilled by the idea of vaginal option Maybe a totally crazy question. . .I'm not thrilled by the idea of vaginal option

Unread 10-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Maybe a totally crazy question. . .I'm not thrilled by the idea of vaginal option

I have the paper work started by mail and will discuss the details further Nov. 2. I was told that most likely my doc will want to do a TVH. For some reason I just feel very uncomfortable with the thought of the amount of trauma that will happen to my vagina from this method. I would (for some reason) prefer to have a da vinci. It just seems like they can see more of whats going on though this method. Am I wrong to want to have this method over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Re: Maybe a totally crazy question. . .I'm not thrilled by the idea of vaginal option

Not at crazy question at all! You need to feel comfortable with the procedure that is being done. Use this site as a resource along with the internet and even video's on youtube for various types of surgical methods. Then discuss it with your surgeon/Gyn. If your doctor is not trained in the daVinci method he may refer you to someone that is or even offer a laproscopy which is a similar method to the daVinci.

After watching some video's of the vaginal method I agree with you. More blood loss, stretching of the muscles, and the doc does not seem to have a very good view of what is being cut. women do seem to have a good outcome though with good recoveries.

Ultimately, feel comfortable in what is going to be done to your body. Go for a second or even third opinion if needed.
Good luck!
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Re: Maybe a totally crazy question. . .I'm not thrilled by the idea of vaginal option

Hi FullOf???,

Does your Dr do the DaVinci ?? You might contact your Dr and set up an appointment to discuss more hyst options. It is not too late since your surgery date is not until Dec.

I agree with GoldenRose. What is most important is that you are comfortable with your surgery type. Drs give us options...and we make the final decision when it comes to our bodies.

Best wishes

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2011, 12:24 AM

Yes my doc does the other method (da vinci) but her MA made it sound like she would go that route if my uterus was too large
Unread 10-11-2011, 04:43 AM

this is what they are doing for me...I am getting the DaVinci,but think they are taking pieces and parts out vaginally
like the sister's said if you have question's ask!!!!
and good luck to you
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:13 AM

I had a TVH and didn't feel I'd had vaginal trauma beyond a bit of swelling. And often they say vaginal hyst and are thinking of LAVH, or davinci, both are lap assisted but vaginal. Mainly you need to feel reassured and comfortable about the procedure you will have. Ask your Dr, and if you prefer a davinci procedure it sounds like that's an option. Best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:11 AM

I am not a candidate for a vaginal, but I always felt it sounds very invasive and a little scary. I have a friend who had one done that way, with zero complications or complaints, so I'm sure it's not that bad... just sounds intimidating to me! When I scheduled my hyst, I spoke with the front desk and said "I want a robotic hysterectomy; please schedule me with the best doctor for the procedure." It's not my regular OB/GYN (who does robotic), but a gynoncologist (I do not have cancer) -- she has done so many robotic procedure, she could do them with her eyes closed, lol. If you're not comfortable with the vaginal, ask why you can't have da vinci. If the doctor is insistent that you cannot have da vinci, get another opinion. And another, if needed. You may very well NOT be a candidate for da vinci, but I'd want to make sure --- especially if that's the option you're wanting.
Unread 10-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Depending on your circumstances even using Da Vinci they still may have to bring pieces out that way. I had Da Vinci and my uterus was to big to cut up and pull out laproscopically. I was so miserable I did not care how they got it out...lol.
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:23 PM

I just like how presise each cut can be with the da vinci and terrified that it seems the other way is hacky wacky. Ugh gotta love nerves. A non releated question before you had a hyster did you ever feel like you couldnt totally stand up straight because you had an uncomfortable tugging feeling in you pelvic region
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Hi fullof???

What is the reason you're having a hysterectomy? That can have a lot to do with what type of surgery you have. For example, I had mine for a severe prolapse, so the only route that made sense was vaginal. There are pros and cons - the vaginal procedure is much quicker, so you're in an awkward position and under anesthesia for much less time than for a da Vinci procedure. On the other hand, if there is a reason your DR needs magnified visibility inside during the surgery, then da Vinci is a good way to go.

Make sure to ask your DR *why* he/she is recommending the procedure they are. It's important that you are comfortable with what's going to happen, but it is even more important (imho) that your DR feels it is the best procedure for you.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register