Having surgery during period | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having surgery during period Having surgery during period

Unread 12-16-2001, 06:30 PM
Having surgery during period

I was really hoping that I would have my surgery prior to my next period, but with my current period starting when it did, it's very possible I'll be having my period the day I go into surgery. My doctor said it's not a problem, but I bleed and cramp so bad it still has me worried.

Has anyone else been on their period when they had their surgery, and how did it go? Any complications or issues?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2001, 06:48 PM

Hi birdluver - I started my LAST period about 2 days before hyst. It was not a problem...surgery went as planned.
Unread 12-16-2001, 07:22 PM
birdluver

Hi birdluver,
Not to worry - the docs and nurses are used to this stuff. I went into my surgery in an absolute flood and I was the only one worried. They just said that they would look after it. And they did. It did not add any complications or anything.
Good luck with your big day,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2001, 08:06 PM

Hi Birdluver!

Like the ladies have said - No Problem! A lot of women that have hysts are always bleeding! My hospital provided me with some uh, lovely panties and a pad (where do they get those things!) and when I went to the OR, the nurse told me I could remove them or they could when I was out(I did). My last period started 2 days before my hyst and I did have a bit of problem with pain. I had awful pain with my periods and of course the night before surgery, I was not able to take any meds, so by the time I got to the hospital, I was not feeling well at all. Really, the bleeding was the least of my problems ! Good Luck to You!
Unread 12-16-2001, 09:52 PM

Hi Birdlover, I've told the ladies here that I went to the castle with Aunt Flo and left her behind and have not missed her one bit! It will not be a problem for you. I had continous bleeding for about 6 months, got pretty heavy the day before surgery and on the way to the castle. I probably lost more blood that way than during my surgery! You can go to surgery wearing a pad, just wear some panties that you won't mind leaving at the castle. Good luck to you.
Jan
Unread 12-17-2001, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the responses! I feel much better about it now, although I would have preferred this month to be my LAST month dealing with Aunt Flo (love that name!).

Unread 12-17-2001, 07:17 PM

Oh yeah, I was on mine and my doc also said no biggie. I went in with an elephant pad and came home with nothing at all! I didnt bleed one drop after my surgery (although I wore a pad for 24 hours afterwards). I kept thinking I would bleed some but I never did. My doc told me if I did, he would give me my $ back!
The really weird part is, after a few weeks go by, you keep thinking that you should be starting, and of course you dont. It was strange for a few months. Now I just walk on past that feminie hygene isle like I have never seen that stuff in my life. Unfortunately, I have a 17 year old who has been on her period for 3 years now and has just started having bad ones with cramps, PMS, headaches etc.... so Im not experiencing it myself, but I still kinda sorta am! ha ha
You will be fine. Docs. see it all. Thats why they get paid the big bucks!
Take care!
MB
Unread 12-17-2001, 08:10 PM

That would be my dream come true - not another drop after the surgery! Keeping my fingers crossed for that kind of outcome, but even if I have to deal with a little for a while, it will be SOOO much better than my current floods!

Thanks for the reassurance!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register