Looking for a good book - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for a good book Looking for a good book

Unread 05-25-2002, 11:32 PM
Looking for a good book

I just finished "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" after watching the commercials about the upcoming movie.

I very much liked the book. I generally just plow right through a book, but this one, even though it's not long at all, I took my time. I'm glad--helped to absorb some of it a little better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 10:43 AM
Unnatural Exposure

Just finished reading this book by Patricia Cromwell. If you like an exciting mystery read, then this is a great one.

I'm almost finished reading 2nd Chance by James Patterson and this is another exciting mystery. I can hardly put this one down.
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Looking for a good book

Is that the smallpox one?

I thought it was a bit too creepy for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 04:45 AM
Unnatural Exposure

Yes, that's the one. Guess I'm a little creepy too because I liked it.
Unread 06-06-2002, 04:45 AM
Looking for a good book

I just finished reading "Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner and it isn't what you think~it's a wonderful book though, I was done with it in 2 days, which is a record for me these days!

Sara
Unread 06-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Looking for a good book

I just read "The Worst Day of My Life So Far" by M.A. Harper. Its about a middle aged woman making good on a promise to her dying father's request to take care of her mother who has Alzheimer's.

The book cover says it all " A poignant, often hilarious story of one woman's journey towards self discovery and confidence, this is a timely tale that shows there are no dead ends in life--only longer road."

I loved it.
Unread 06-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Thumbs up - Looking for a good book Looking for a good book

Have you read "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. It is very clever the way it is written.
Unread 12-17-2002, 11:15 AM
Looking for a good book

Kate Chopin's The Awakening is a wonderful book & it's a quick read. Her short stories are good, too.

Someone just gave me a copy of Julia Alvarez In The Time of the Butterflies and I have another of her books, as yet unread, that came very highly recommended. Something like How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents .

Jane Austen novels are fun and light.
Emma, Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility...

One thing that can really be fun is an old literature textbook. I know, that sounds DULL, but really, it's great because there's TONS to choose from. Short stories , plays, poetry by authors both classic & current.

Really, give it a try. You'll be surprised what you find in there. Some great stuff.

Light, humorous mysteries that are good include the Lord Peter Whimsey series by Dorothy Sayers. These go in order & I suppose it's best to follow, but not necessary. The first of these I read was a collection of shorts. Read it at the beach, which sure sounds good about now, with these cold winds a blowin' around here!

Also, any Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple by Agatha Christie will be fun.

And for me, last but certainly not least, a good day includes a large stack of wonderful cookbooks from the library. I almost never make anything from them but look at them constantly.

We have a good library here & DH & I go & bring home STACKS of books, then linger over them at home. It feels like Christmas!
Unread 12-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Looking for a good book

Wow - it's been a while since I posted here (or started the thread! LOL!)

I have since read:
The Red Tent (Dimante - LOVED IT)
The Lovely Bones (Sebold - Also loved it)
The Blind Assassin (Atwood - couldn't get through it)
The Rescue (Sparks...couldn't do it)
The Nanny Diaries (?? - cute)
Confessions of a Shopaholic (?? - very good)
Girls Poker Night (Davis - good)
Slammerkin (Donaghue - good, but the end is hard to get through)
The Runaway Quilt (Elm Creek Quilt Novel - VERY good)
The Healing Quilt (Snelling - good, but religious)
Daisy May and the Miracle Man (Flagg - good)

my word - I know there are more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

HAPPY READING!
Unread 12-18-2002, 01:15 AM
Looking for a good book

Xena --

Loved the Awakening, didja know it was banned in a number of places in it's day due to the adultery and miscegenation? For I know, it might still be taken off the shelves of some libraries, even now.

I also love Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane, let us not forget Harriet! My favorite Wimsey short is the one with his nephew's old book with the map in it.

-- Marian

[quote]Originally posted by xenapw
[b]Kate Chopin's The Awakening is a wonderful book & it's a quick read. Her short stories are good, too.

Light, humorous mysteries that are good include the Lord Peter Whimsey series by Dorothy Sayers. These go in order & I suppose it's best to follow, but not necessary. The first of these I read was a collection of shorts. Read it at the beach, which sure sounds good about now, with these cold winds a blowin' around here!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register