Looking for a good book - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for a good book Looking for a good book

Unread 12-18-2002, 01:24 AM
Looking for a good book

>The Red Tent (Dimante - LOVED IT)

Couldn't get through the first couple of chapters. Am I the only one that couldn't stand this book?

>The Lovely Bones (Sebold - Also loved it)

Planning to read it.

>The Blind Assassin (Atwood - couldn't get through it)

Finished it out of a sense of duty.

>The Rescue (Sparks...couldn't do it)
>The Nanny Diaries (?? - cute)
>Confessions of a Shopaholic (?? - very good)
>Girls Poker Night (Davis - good)

Never heard of these.

>Slammerkin (Donaghue - good, but the end is hard to get >through)

Want to read that one. I think she was supposed to come here on a literary tour stop, but cancelled due to The Troubles (ours, not the Irish ones). Have you read Waters's *Tipping the Velvet?* A thing of joy. A friend is bringing me the hot off the presses DVD of the BBC miniseries, and I downloaded the wallpaper and the screensaver.

>The Runaway Quilt (Elm Creek Quilt Novel - VERY good)
>The Healing Quilt (Snelling - good, but religious)

Ditto, never heard of these.

>Daisy May and the Miracle Man (Flagg - good)

Oh, yes, I think it's even better than *Fried Green Tomatoes*, but not as good as *Welcome to the world, baby girl.* Haven't read her most recent (forgot the name), it isn't available here, yet.

-- Marian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2002, 04:47 AM
Looking for a good book

Hi!

I think The Awakening pretty much ended Chopin's career for all practical purposes. WAY too contraversial for a woman to write such things about women! I had to look up miscegenation, so thanks for the new word!

Ya know, there's something about The Red Tent that keeps me from picking it up. I get this dark imagery & sort of grossed-out. I know that's silly but I just can't get past it! With all the testimonial from sisters, though, perhaps I'll try again. I've never even read page 1, it's just silliness on my part!

Right now I'm into poetry, and have a couple of Maxine Kumin books home from the library.

I also love anthologies=variety. Had a book from the library that was all women writers & it was wonderful! I'm sure most libraries would have some good collections.

Haven't read much Atwood, only some shorts. The one I remember is Happy Endings. Not my favorite, but good work, I'm sure.

I don't know much Shakespeare but am sort of into it right now so dh brought home a book of his sonnets for me. I told him that if he's going to bring me a book of love poems the least he can do is read them to me! Well, he did it but I think he was red-faced throughout! Gotta love 'em!

This is a fun thread. Love books, love variety, & love all your ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks all! It's fun having so many sisters to talk to & learn from!
Unread 12-18-2002, 05:57 AM
Looking for a good book

> I think The Awakening pretty much ended Chopin's career for >all practical purposes. WAY too contraversial for a woman to >write such things about women! I had to look up >miscegenation, so thanks for the new word!

Yes, it did at that. She was very popular before that, famous all over the United States for her "local color."

>Ya know, there's something about The Red Tent that keeps me >from picking it up. I get this dark imagery & sort of grossed->out. I know that's silly but I just can't get past it! With all the >testimonial from sisters, though, perhaps I'll try again. I've >never even read page 1, it's just silliness on my part!

Well, I don't want to get too controversial (ha!), but I find the whole concept of menstrual impurity very, very sexist. Sometimes folks (men!) who follow it claim it's out of respect for women, but that ain't the way I see it. In this part of the world there are some folks that want SEPARATE SEATING on buses, just in case...

>Haven't read much Atwood, only some shorts. The one I >remember is Happy Endings. Not my favorite, but good work, >I'm sure.

Well, directly connected to the above is. *The Handmaid's Tale,* a futuristic dystopia (negative take on utopia) where folks with such anti-women attitudes have taken over the United States.

>so dh brought home a book of his sonnets for me. I told him >that if he's going to bring me a book of love poems the least he >can do is read them to me! Well, he did it but I think he was >red-faced throughout! Gotta love 'em!

I can see it now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Looking for a good book

I also enjoy reading & probably have a fortune in paperbacks! lol.

Enjoyed reading John Grisham's "The Painted House" - VERY different from his usual.

Depending on my mood, I am a Stephen King fan, love Dean Koontz, too, for sci-fi type stuff; I've enjoyed everything written by Nora Roberts - romance, but mixed with a good plot and/or mystery. I'm also a fan of James Patterson - but I think I have read all of his! I also enjoyed "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood". (The movie was pretty good, too.)

It's a great way to spend some down time. Happy reading, ladies!
Unread 01-16-2003, 01:02 AM
Smile - Looking for a good book At long last!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry Potter 5 will be out in June!!! There was an official announcement from the publisher!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Smile - Looking for a good book Looking for a good book

I don't know how I've missed this post for sp long - I'm one of the book lovers of the world. I noticed a lot of my favorite authors listed. I read almost anything but love mysteries the most. Janet Evanovich, Lillian jackson Braun, Tamar Myers, Anne George, Mary Higgins Clark ( and both of her daughters), Dianne Mott Davidson, Lou Jane Temple, Sidney Sheldon .... and on & on.
I'm reading one right now by Marlys Millhiser called "Death of the Office Witch". I perfer books that don't get too graphic or gory. I've also enjoyed all the Harry Potter (new one is being released next June 21 . I enjoyed the Yaya Sisterhood.
I LOVE to read!!!
Unread 01-25-2003, 05:56 PM
here's a good one

I read Gap Creek by Robert Morgan last week. It was great...really makes you appreciate the life we live now. I also liked Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwartz, mentioned already I think. I read it last summer. Both books are the kind you just can't put down. I read them both in two days, (would've been about 4 hours each, but I do have a DH and 2 DS's. I'll be looking for some good new titles after I return from the castle, (don't have a date yet, probably late March), so I thought I'd this one up and start planning.

Have a great rest of your weekend girls!
Unread 01-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Looking for a good book

I am really surprised not to find one on this list that I thought would be listed by at least a few of you ladies!

The English Patient.

This book is so much better than the movie, it is moving, endearing and heartbreaking all at once.

My husband collects sci-fi books and I've read a lot of those lately. The Mars books, by Kim Stanley Robinson are very good. They are nice, thick books that keep you occupied for a few days (I read one while in hospital and it lasted and kept my interest).
Unread 01-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Looking for a good book

suzeqsez, I read The Sweet Potato Queens on the suggestion of a friend. What a riot!
Also, completely opposite the Sweet potato Queens, I also loved the Mitford books. I am reading Miss Read's The Village School, suggested by Jan Karon for people who liked the Mitford books. I told someone about it and they said it is the most boring book they ever read. I love it and the descriptions of the old time school, since I am a teacher.

Maggie
Unread 01-29-2003, 09:39 PM
White Oleander

I read White Oleander during the football playoffs a few weeks ago. Couldn't put it down and spent the entire day reading. I found it very sad, but do want to see the movie.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register