IBS and bloating pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IBS and bloating pre-op IBS and bloating pre-op

Unread 12-16-2001, 08:30 PM
IBS and bloating pre-op

This can be a gross subject but I'm glad I've seen some ladies discuss it. I currently experience bloating and irritable bowel symtoms- usually severe constipation starting 1 wk before my period. Now that I know my uterus is enlarged and I probably have adenomyosis , I think my uterus is probably drawing fluid away from every thing else.
My Dr is planning to leave my ovaries, so I am hoping the TVH will get rid of this problem along with the pain. If the bloating and constipation comes from my hormones, will it go away. My Dr couldn't say for sure. What has any one else exprienced pre and post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2001, 10:23 PM
IBS and bloating pre-op

I'll bet you a nickle your "IBS" really isn't IBS, and will go away post-op. I used to get sudden intestinal cramps and diarrhea the first day or so of my period, and that's gone now - I still have my ovaries, too. I hear a lot about that happening with fibroids, although I'm sure it's possible with adenomyosis, too. Maybe it's from swollen things pressing on parts of the intestines? Or, as I understand it, the endometrium (lining of the uterus) produces some hormones on its own (prostaglandins) that help cause contraction of smooth muscle tissue (the uterus itself, and coincidentally, the intestines) - it's been my guess that those hormones cause a lot of our "bowel" problems.

Whatever the cause, I hope your "IBS" suddenly clears up after your hyst.
Unread 12-17-2001, 07:46 AM
IBS and bloating pre-op

HI Laura !!

I gotta agree with Horsewoman here.

I was diagnosed with IBS years ago. I had severe abdominal cramps with episodes of diarrhea about 4 to 5 times a month. I never really noticed a pattern of these episodes with my periods though.

Well, good news is that since I had my TAH on 9/17, I have had NO episodes of IBS. Go figure !!! I think it was more GYN related than anything now. We'll see !!

Best of luck to you !!!

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2001, 05:37 PM
IBS

I was diagnosed with IBS several years ago. Mostly due to constipation and nasuea and yes dizziness. But I started keeping track of all these things and found that they were related to my cycle. My husband would tease me about all the stool softners I would buy. Always feeling bloated with gas. My husbands teases me about this also.
On one of the sites I did see that constipation and gas were symptoms of fibroids. So I'm crossing my fingers that all this will get better after my surgery. I guess if they are big enough they will push on other organs and cause distress. So I will actually keep my fingers crossed for you to.
God Bless
Sue
Unread 12-17-2001, 05:52 PM
IBS and bloating pre-op

I don't know if it's the size that counts. My fibroids were relatively little (two about the size of golfballs, plus some really tiny ones), and they caused me problems. I'm sure the bigger one do squoosh things, but I'll bet the smaller ones do something too.

I wonder... the one inside my uterus use to bleed - quite a lot (hence, flooding). Maybe the one on the outside bleed a little, too. Bleeding in the abdominal cavity, even just a little, can cause some surprisingly nasty cramps and things. Maybe that's how they do it.

In any case, I do hope your problems stop after your hyst, as mine have.
Unread 12-17-2001, 06:00 PM
IBS and bloating pre-op

Speaking of IBS...

Be sure to read the thread titled "Your uterus was UGLY" (or something like that) on the post op board. Here's a link to it (I hope):

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=45915
Unread 12-17-2001, 07:09 PM
Been there and done that!

Yup had IBS too. I still have it some but nothing like I had before surgery. It would always begin about a week before my period and by the time I would start it would be roaring. Hope like the others it goes away. God Bless and same for you too Dream Catcher. Here are some s and for comfort.
Unread 12-18-2001, 07:18 PM
Thanks

HorseWoman, Basketnut, DreamCatcher and Kitten Cuddles,
Thank you for your posts, and wow Dream cather your surgery is in 2 days.My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know I'll more questions before mine. I feel a bond with all of you. Sometime I'll take the time to figure out how get in the chat room to ask questions.
Unread 12-19-2001, 09:53 AM
IBS and bloating pre-op

I had IBS symptoms from my large fibroid that was sitting on my colon and rectum. Since my TAH on Nov. 28, this situation has improved greatly. Doc says it may be another month or two before it completely goes away, but it has only been 3 weeks and I already notice a difference. Hope it works out the same for you. I am very suprised at how great I feel since my surgery. That fibroid was causing more pain and problems than I knew. Good luck and hang tight......
Unread 12-19-2001, 02:45 PM
IBS and bloating pre-op

I agree will all the ladies. I would bet your problems will disappear after surgery. I had all that too. As you can see below in my signature , I had all the same problems. All are gone now. Its a miracle.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register