Should I ask about Bladder "Tuck" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I ask about Bladder "Tuck" Should I ask about Bladder "Tuck"

Unread 12-17-2001, 05:46 AM
Should I ask about Bladder "Tuck"

Okay guys here I am with more questions (you are so much help, all of you!!)

My doctor hasn't said anything about bladder repair (my pre-op is on 12/27 for 1/10 surgery). I haven't had any problems, per se, but worry about future problems. My mom said it's worth talking to him about it, because beginning about 10 years after her hyst, she has had to wear pads because of incontinence problems. I don't want to have more surgery down the road.

I see alot about these repairs going on in posts here, but curious, were these preventative measures or were you experiencing problems to begin with? I have severe endo and hope that nothing is on my bladder, but should I ask for some kind of "tuck" so future problems are alleviated? If so, was this painful? Did you need a cath at home?

Thanks again for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2001, 07:31 AM

Hi Jenniferlynne !!

While examining me, my Dr. asked if I had any urinary incontinence issues. I told him that only when I sneeze or cough. Also, I had some frequency and pressure issues, which he attributed to the enlarged uterus pressing on the bladder.

Anyways, my insurance company did approve a Burch procedure based on the stress incontinence issue. If you have any of these problems, be sure to tell your Dr. so that he could also schedule the bladder repair. My understanding is that the Burch repair is relatively simple (my GYN did it- did not even call in a URO).

So, I was lucky to have the Burch done with my hyst. I haven't noticed much difference in recovery. I have had some "swelling" and urination is different now, but I would definetly get it done at the same time if you can.

Good luck to you !!!

Lori
Unread 12-19-2001, 12:13 PM

Dear Jennifer,

Generally speaking, most docs wouldn't do any bladder repairs unless you are currently having incontinence problems of some sort.

Hope this info helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 02:08 PM

Hi JenniferLynne:

I also brought up the bladder issue with my doc. My case is a little different because I have been suffering for almost 2 years with bladder pressure and frequency. I also have incontinence problems when sneezing, laughing etc. I have been scoped by a urologist and found nothing wrong. After seeing alot of ladies had repairs done, I brought it up with my ob/gyn.

He told me that he doesnt do the Birch repair himself (we live in Canada - dont know if that has anything to do with it) that he does another procedure which is rather involved. He really wants me to wait until after I have my hyst to see if it improves on its own. Sometimes a sagging uterus gives the pressure. Maybe he has decided to wait because I am only 34, I don't know.

I trust my doc fully and know he will do what's best for me, but my moto is if it isn't broken why fix it??

Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register