what to wear post surgery in the hospital - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to wear post surgery in the hospital what to wear post surgery in the hospital

Unread 10-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Re: what to wear post surgery in the hospital

Just plan on staying in your gown, and bring some sweat pants to wear on the way home. The "key" is elastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM

My surgery is next month and I will have a longer than average stay because of fear of blood clots. So I do plan to take my own pjs for comfort and a sense of normalcy. I bought a gown, but I prefer a tshirt and pj pants. Without being too graphic, do we get bothered a lot for show and tell? If so I guess a nightgown is the better option. Advice for those of us who have to stay longer than one night???
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM

I stayed 2 nights and just wore the hospital issued gown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee70 View Post
Without being too graphic, do we get bothered a lot for show and tell? If so I guess a nightgown is the better option. Advice for those of us who have to stay longer than one night???
Generally, while you're in the hospital the nurses will be doing probably two assessments per shift, where they'll take your vital signs, listen to your heart and lungs, listen to your abdomen, check your incisions, and check your feet and legs for edema and the presence of pedal pulses. Your doctor will probably do a similar thing when they round on you, which might only be once a day or could be more often. That's why I chose to stay in my hospital gown the entire three days I was there. It's still possible to do assessments if you have pants and a shirt on, in fact it's not even 'that' much more difficult! I guess another reason I didn't mind staying in the gown was because I knew that if I happened to get blood or food or anything on it, it wouldn't be on my own clothes. Less laundry to have to do when you get home, too!!

Hope this helps!!
Unread 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM

To add to TangoRomeo's post, I think it depends on how you feel. The nurses did check the incision about once a day but my doctor just dropped in to chat each day. As to the full body assessment, I think I got my temp and my blood pressure checked once a day. I am guessing that because I was so mobile, the rest of what TangoRomeo said probably was unneeded because it wasn't done in my case. I barely saw the nurse once a shift, never mind do all of that.
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
I barely saw the nurse once a shift, never mind do all of that.
That's horrible!!! Well, I think so, anyway. I'm sorry you didn't have better care!!
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM

TangoRomeo, I was just fine. If I had been sick, it would have been another story but I was totally independent and in no pain the day after surgery. I think they were probably busy with someone who really needed them. To get this thread back to the original question, part of the reason I was happy to have my own clothes was that I walked all three floors of the hospital on the second day after surgery a couple of times and I ended up bumping into people I knew professionally. I looked marginally better than the patients running around in hospital gowns.
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee70 View Post
Without being too graphic, do we get bothered a lot for show and tell? If so I guess a nightgown is the better option. Advice for those of us who have to stay longer than one night???
I was in the hospital for 3 nights and I just wore the hospital gowns and socks. I couldn't have imagined wearing PJ pants right after surgery. I even wore a light dress home so there was no pressure on my stomach.

I also didn't want to wear any of my own stuff at the hospital so I didn't have to deal with lugging home all the dirty clothes. I had to change my gown more than once a day while I was there, so I would have had to pack a bunch of clothes to have enough. Also, I didn't want to wear my own slippers all over the hospital floor. I can just imagine the germs!

I had a catheter in for most of the day after surgery (they took it out early in the day and then had to put it back in), so it would have been tough to have been wearing PJ pants.

I did have to do a lot of "show and tell" for my surgeon and my nurses. They checked the incisions at each shift and my surgeon showed up each day to check them also.
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:50 AM

The last time I had surgery I went to one of the local big and tall shops and grabbed super size t-shirts for $5 each and grabbed non skid slippers from a dollar store. For $5 bucks I wasn't worried about wrecking them with stains and it allowed easy access top and bottom for any checks they needed to do, plus the over sized short sleeves allowed the nurses to thread through IV bags easily. I tossed the slippers out before leaving the hospital, they can keep their germs there as my comfy slippers were waiting at home for me. I also found wearing elastic waist capris easier to get on and off no "snaggle foot" getting caught on the bottom of pants I'd either have to bend over to fix or kick my legs back and forth to get the bottom of pants unstuck.
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
what to wear post surgery in the hospital

I wore fuzzy oversized pj bottoms and a flannel oversized top that buttoned in the front. I hadto have comfort and something that reminded me of home

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register