what to wear post surgery in the hospital - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to wear post surgery in the hospital what to wear post surgery in the hospital

Unread 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Re: what to wear post surgery in the hospital

I wish i would have brought short nite gowns. You may have to go without undies for a while. Unfortunately, i recieved an bikini incision because the fibroids were big. So comfy but cute wear, no waist bands. We'll be here for you. This is a fantastic site! I have gain so much great info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee70 View Post
My surgery is next month and I will have a longer than average stay because of fear of blood clots. So I do plan to take my own pjs for comfort and a sense of normalcy. I bought a gown, but I prefer a tshirt and pj pants. Without being too graphic, do we get bothered a lot for show and tell? If so I guess a nightgown is the better option. Advice for those of us who have to stay longer than one night???
I'm just going to wear their gowns. I'll probably have to stay more than one night myself because of clotting worries, but other than that, I do expect a little more 'show and tell' than most because I am having mine done at the state's largest hospital, which is a teaching hospital connected to the University and medical school.

I am just hoping I'm not going to be away too long. I'm more dreading the ride home - as I live three hours away from the hospital.
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:40 PM

I found a pair of Hello Kitty jammy pants that are like a blanket. I'll probably wear them home. My husband keeps the house cold (which I might like if the hot flashes set in), so I can see them being comfy all winter long.
I dont plan on taking much to the hospital. For what it costs for a night at the castle, I figure it better come with some perks. I will take my own toiletries, my own pillow and a change of clothes, just in case. I'll hand over my phone and iPad to my husband but I may want my iPad back, but it wont stay with me if he's not there to watch after it. I plan on being hyped up on drugs, so I'm not keeping any valuables at the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2011, 02:21 PM

I just had my LAVH on Oct. 19th, was in my own room by 11 a.m. that morning and released at noon on Oct. 20th. I packed my bag like I was going away for the weekend and didn't need much of any of it! I had packed a set of silky jammies and a nightgown not knowing which I'd want and didn't use either! In pre-op they put me into a warming gown and some really warm fuzzy socks; then once in my room they cut off the warming gown and put me into a regular hospital gown that was actually pretty soft. I opted to stay in the hospital gown because I was being checked every two hours... they check your belly incisions, sounds of gas, your stitches down below if you have any (i had lots with a rectocele repair too), your vital signs, your iv, your cath bag if you have one... I had a lot of bloody discharge from my hyst & rectocele repair that ended up on the hospital gown and the little mat they place under you, and had the catheter stay in place until the morning of the 20th which would have made jammie impossible altogether. I also had the compression booties on from the time I came out of surgery until about an hour before discharge which again would have made jammie pants impossible. I didn't get out of bed at all from the time I was admitted at 6:30 a.m. on the 19th, until about 10 a.m. on the 20th after the cath was removed when they got me up to use the restroom and take some walks.

I did use my robe by putting it on my right arm and wrapping it around my shoulders to keep warm. I kept it far away from my bottom though to not stain it. I brought my own pillow because the hospital ones are often plastic coated and not very comfy. I wore home what I wore to the hospital because I was only in it for 30 minutes total the day I went into the hospital, but I will say make sure you have very stretchy pants. I gained 10 pounds in IV fluid weight and my pants that were big on me the day before were now snug one day later. I wore my crocs so I wouldn't have to bend to get them on going home.

Honestly the only things from home I used were my pillow, my robe, my toothbrush & paste, facial wipes & cream, lip balm, hand lotion, brush & hair tie and my glasses.... and most of that was the day after surgery. Everything else I packed remained in my bag because I was so out of it from the morphine pump and so tired from the trauma of surgery I just didn't care to attempt to look 1/2 way human.

I hope that helps, but remember to do what makes YOU comfortable! And don't be shy is calling your nurses into helping you with whatever you need whenever you need it. They are there to help us heal! Blessings to all of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register