Not Scheduled Indecisive on what type of procedure! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Indecisive on what type of procedure! Indecisive on what type of procedure!

Unread 10-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Indecisive on what type of procedure!

Hello Ladies,

I go in to see my ob on October 26, 2011 to set a date for a hysterectomy! She's wants to do a hysterectomy vaginally but I wants a abdominal hysterectomy! I have adenomyosis and have been in pain for years, as a large cyst on my right ovary. Also a enlarged uterus. I have done my research and some doctors doesn't recommend a hysterectomy vaginally on a women who has an enlarged uterus. I have a history of abnormal papsmears and recently just went in for a biopsy. I feel like my doctor isn't listening to my needs. She's only taken my cervix leaving the ovaries!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Re: help please

Welcome to HysterSisters! I had a TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy, cervix included) 7+ years ago for fibroids and adenomyosis and I kept my ovaries. My uterus wasn't overly large but it was larger than normal and the TVH was successful. The plan was that if my doctor started surgery and found it could not be done vaginally, his plan was to convert to an abdominal.

Some doctors don't recommend abdominal hysterectomies for women who do have an enlarged uterus but it may be possible to have it done vaginally, too. You should have a discussion with your doctor and find out exactly what the plan is. You have the right to know and if you feel uncomfortable with what your doctor is telling you, you should seek another opinion. Second, third and even fourth opinions are always a good thing to do anyway.

Remember that the cervix is not a separate organ, just the lower portion of the uterus.

Hang in there!

Deb
Unread 10-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Hi there. Have you discussed with your doctor why she wants to do a vag hysto and why you want to do an abdominal hysto? Maybe that's a good place to start, so you both know where the other is coming from. I'd caution you to be very wary of 'research' done on the internet . . . there are lots of scary stories out there, and so many different opinions that it's hard to find completely objective information. Have you sought a second opinion? I would also strongly recommend doing so, especially if you feel your doctor isn't listening to your needs. This is a serious procedure, one that can't be undone, and you really need to feel completely 100% positive about your decision before having it done.

Best of luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Yes, I saw my ob this last Tuesday and I presented my concerns regarding this issue. I feel like she has been my doctor since I was 22 and I'm 29 now. I just was diagnose with adenomyosis after years of suffering voicing my concerns to her and often times she would be passive. Like everything I'm going through is just a figment of my imagination. She's need to take me seriously and I have ovarion, & cervical cancer runs in my family. Everything I goes in to see her she would rush me bcuz her scheduled full. I maded an appointment with this endocrinologist reproductive doctor who did my first larpaoscopy surgery. But, the earliest appointment I
was able to get is December
7, 2011. However, I'm still on
the scheduled to see my ob
to set a date with my hysterectomy. I feel very uncomfortable setting a date and I'm not comfortable with the procedure that was being performed.
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:23 PM

This is just my opinion, of course, but I would not have ANY procedure done if I was uncomfortable with what the doctor was discussing. Like I said before, you only get one chance to do something like this. It's up to you to make sure that you get all of the information and find the right doctor for you.

I was having unbearable symptoms for ten years, and my doctor I was seeing at the time -- I loved her to death, but she kept insisting that nothing was wrong with me because nothing showed up on ultrasound (I later learned that endometriosis doesn't show up on ultrasound, had I known back then I would've made some noise about it). I was seeing her from the time I was 23 until I was 30. The GYN that did my hysto, I've only been seeing him since May of this year. My point is that sometimes it doesn't matter how long you've been seeing someone, if you don't feel they're doing what's best for YOU, you have every right to seek another opinion. I'm glad I did!!
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Thank u so much! I most definitely will get an second opinion. I knew it was a reason why I joined this website!
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:48 PM

My Dr. explained to me that he scheduled me for vaginal but will do abdominal if needed. Vaginal Hysts cost more so they get the pre approval for those ahead of time most often. He said that way financially I was covered either way! Good luck.
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:49 PM

You are not alone! My Dr also would like to do a vaginal via msg through nurse. I spoke up right away. The nurse said most definatly ahould talk it over at my preop. Its my body and MY CHOICE. She told me it was not set in stone. My issue is my last exams were 3 months ago and my symptoms have gotton worse to the point of feeling like im prego from bloating. i want a davinci so I know they can see EVERYTHING. GOOD LUCK
Unread 10-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Re: Indecisive on what type of procedure!

I don't know how to answer your question, as I am sure what type of procedure is available to you is very dependent on your condition and your medical history. Be somewhat careful with what you read on the Internet, because it may not apply in your case - but you just don't know it. If however, you are questioning your doctor, you may want to get a second opinion.

Hopefully some women will respond to your post who have had a similar situation to you.

Good luck to you.

Unread 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM

I have massive scar tissue from ruptured ectopic many years ago and ovary grew back so I will probably need TAH but shooting for LAVH. As long as I wake up..I don't care if they pull it all out my toes..lol...
Communication is the key. Best of wishes again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register