Not Scheduled The shock wore off ... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The shock wore off ... The shock wore off ...

Unread 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM
The shock wore off ...

I'm finding my way around this forum so my apologies if this is not the correct section. I'm just going to throw my story out there because I am sitting here unable to leave my kitchen table, cramping and bleeding, crying non-stop.

I am 47 and I have a 8cm uterine fibroid. I had a D&C 6 years ago removing a 6cm fibroid. The dr. suggested removing the uterus lapriscopically since my uterus is 13cm. I made the mistake of speaking to other women asking if they knew anyone that went through this. They of course say to get a second opinion. I feel I am just delaying the inevitable. I don't want to have surgery every couple of years so am agreeing with my dr. to remove the uterus.

Is weight gain, dry skin, loss of libido, loss of energy going to be my future?

The part that I am scared to death about is that I have a high energy level. I am competing in the workplace with 20 year olds and the thought of slowing down is depressing.

How do you know you are making the right decision? I have to live with the consequences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Re: The shock wore off ...

Some of the symptoms you mention are more from losing ovaries, not the uterus, and it sounds like you would keep your ovaries. Lower energy can last a while post op for some ladies, I would say that. A 2nd opinion is a good idea even if you want a hyst, there may be non surgical options, or treatments to shrink fibroids so you can have a minimally invasive surgery. Also you can get input on types of hysts and whether to keep your cervix. There's a lot of info on this site about options and types of hysts. But you are right, you have to live with the decision, so get all the info you can from here and other Dr opinions before you decide. It's true some ladies think it's the best thing they ever did, but some have regrets for physical or emotional reasons. Reading some of the posts here can help, too. You are wise to ask these questions ahead of time. Best wishes on making a decision right for you.
Unread 10-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Dear Inevitable,

I've been perusing this site for a while now and I can say that no one person's experience is the same.

Weight gain, dry skin, loss of libido and loss of energy: Possible, yes, but not guaranteed.

Weight gain? For myself, I expect I'll be able to lose some weight because I expect to have more energy - there's nothing like pain and anemia to keep a person down, plus I have avoided exercise because the more I exercised, the more I bled. There are others on this site who also mention having lost weight post-op. Some suggest the weight gain may be due to the inactivity following surgery while in recovery.

Libido? There are A LOT of post-op sisters who rave about sex after surgery. I hope for the same. Hard to get excited about sex when you're bleeding constantly.

Dry Skin: Lotion (& KY Jelly for sex) I already have dry skin and considering all my health issues, a little drier skin is the least of my worries.

I had a hysteroscopy several years ago to remove a couple of very large fibroids, but like you, the problem returned. As long as my fibroids remained asymptomatic, I chose to leave them alone, but they have become symptomatic (bladder pressure, back, hip and leg pain, unpredictable periods, very heavy bleeding, anemia ...) This coupled with abnormal pap results and I'm now ready for a hysterectomy.

If your fibroids are not causing you any physical problems or discomfort, you may be able to put off the "Inevitable". (NOTE: This is a decision for you and your doctor. I'm not one and am only telling you about my particular experience.)

My original doctor really didn't give me an option - for him, hysterectomy was my only choice. I went for a second opinion and my new doctor provided me with several options, with all the pros and cons of each.

If your doctor is giving you a "no options" solution, you really need to get a second opinion.

This is not an easy decision to make - I waited 2 years to schedule my appointment. I wish you all the best and hope you can come to a decision you are happy with.

Hugs, Lila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Hi Inevitable,

I was 46 when I had my laparoscopic hyst (LSH) for two large fibroids. Like you...I was in a state of shock when my Dr. suggested a hyst. I couldn't believe it.

And...I came to realize...my life was revolving around my fibroids. I had scary-heavy periods every month, bloating, pelvic pressure, bladder incontinence and no energy. I felt 86 instead of 46.

And then after my LSH...I got my quality of life back. No more periods and no more fibroids, I had no loss of libido and no b.c needed...so it made sex a lot more fun with my DH, and I did not gain any weight. And no dry skin for me either. I kept my ovaries and they are still working for me. And my energy level...yeah..I got it back too.

So...no one can make the decision to have a hyst for you...except you. Drs give us options and we make the final decision when it comes to our bodies. Just do what feels right for you. That is what is most important.

Sending best wishes ~

Mary
Unread 10-16-2011, 04:26 PM

I just got home from the emergency room. I became extremely weak, shaky and lightheaded. I thought I would pass out and called an ambulance. When in the ambulance I was in shortness of breath. My bp was 140/90 where it is usually 110/70. They sent me home. They said the dizziness had nothing to do with the hemorraging. They said it was just anxiety. I am going to by gyn tomorrow. Apparently you ladies are strong - I am letting this get the best of me.
Unread 10-16-2011, 04:47 PM

I know first hand what anxiety can do to someone. ER visits, not feeling well, feeling like I might die... I was placed on anti anxiety meds.(off now and doing good)
It is a real condition and has nothing to do with being strong but everything to do with being a thinker.
You might find that there are other factors in life helping it along.
Take a few minutes just to cry... maybe in the bath... For some reason that would help release the pressure I felt at the moment and let me think once more.
I will say an extra prayer for you.
BTW please talk with your doc about this.
Unread 10-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Hi Inevitable,

So sorry to hear about your trip to the emergency room.

I can't speak for all the Hyster Sisters here...but if you look inside yourself...you are as strong as the rest of the ladies posting on this web site. Even more so with a trip to the emergency room.

What you are experiencing right now...is what many of us have experienced..in deciding what to do about fibroids. Yes...I had the physical symptoms from my fibroids to deal with...and I was also sad, depressed, angry...why me???, anxious, worried, and...downright...scared to death!! Nothing in my life prepared me...for dealing with fibroids.

And my definition of strength...when I was going through everything with my fibroids?? Strength for me...was just getting out of bed each morning. Putting one foot in front of the other...and just dealing with my fibroids from moment to moment. That was all I could ask of myself.

So...you are tougher then you think !!!

Please don't feel alone. We Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can.

Best wishes again ~

May
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Dear Inevitable,

Anxiety/panic attacks are scary and cause even more anxiety.

I strongly recommend a visit to a therapist to discuss the anxiety and the causes for it. Depending on the outcome of the session(s), the therapist may recommend drug therapy as well. I have experience with both and their benefits.

Like Historylady said, some days, just getting out of bed can be a struggle. Please know that you are not alone.

(((Bear Hug)))
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Believe me, we are all like you. I know before my surgery I was a nervous wreck. My two dogs thought they had gone to heaven because I was walking them all the time to let off my nerves. I had considered asking for something to help with the nerves but have bad reactions to medicines. You may want to ask for something to help you get through the waiting for the surgery.I don't know if you can ever be 100% sure of what you decide is the correct choice. Make the best decision based on the info you have. I know you will be fine. We are all here to support you.
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM

I could not get out of bed today. I felt as if an elephant was sleeping on top of me and I couldn't struggle. I called in sick at work. I have a highly physical job that I was proud of because I can keep up and would be more energetic. I used to jump out of bed to take a shower, put on the news and get dressed with my cute clotes and pretty makeup. Those days seem to be dwindling. In that back of my mind I'm thinking "that's not going to be me anymore". The thought of getting dressed was overwhelming. I don't want to be that lady at work that is constantly out sick and comes back all weird and depressed ... self fullfilling prophecy ... how do I make it stoppppp!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register