I'm new with lots of questions. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm new with lots of questions. I'm new with lots of questions.

Unread 12-17-2001, 09:41 AM
I'm new with lots of questions.

Hello,
I will start by saying that you women are truely brave, strong and an inspiration to us all. I am almost 37 yrs old, I have been having heavy bleeding and bad cramps since my daughter was born almost 10 years ago. Then miscarriage in 1995 and then it got even worse after my son was born 6 years ago. I am going to throw my symptoms out so pls bare with me I will try to keep this short.
*low back probs since cheering in high school.
*Heavy periods that have gotten much worse.
*In 1987 I had bad pap, showed cells and I had them removed.
(it was no big deal. )
*Gall bladder attacks then removal in '98 (Which was odd, no stones, no explanation for probs just that it wasn' working) Even the nurses couldn't understand because I didn't fit criteria for Gall disease. (BTW I am still having attacks)
* IBS and all the fun things that go with that problem.
* nasuea, with some vomiting
*All the bladder probs can't hold it going all the time too.
*dizzy and weak all the time.
*Cronic sinus problems, Surgery done in 92
*Migranes
I finally found one dr who seems to be able to tie all these symptoms into one problem ENDO. Will go Jan 2 for Lap, not scared of Lap, but more afraid of him NOT finding anything. I told him if he doesn't find anything to put me in padded cell in hospital
I am so depressed, tired, sad, and in pain all the time, and at a loss. I have no energy to do anything and even taking care of kids is taking its toll on me. Kicker is Hubby is so sick of me being sick and docs never finding or curing that he thinks it's in my head. All we do is fight now. Over smallest of things. He is a good person but is fed up as I am. Ultrasound done last week showed normal size uterus and ovaries. I am not wanting this illess nor any other illness, but if doc finds nothing then what? I am so scared I can feel that something is in there eating away at me slowly. Just don't know what to do. Thank you for listening to me. Happy Holidays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2001, 10:34 AM

Welcome aboard!

Rest assured (and tell your hubby too) that it is not "in your head". I see this time after time after time here - women who doctors have not been able to find a reason for their problems, so tell the women they are "imagining" it, or that they have some "unresolved sexual issues". Horsefeathers! I see these same women come back to the boards after surgery saying "See, there was endo all over everything!" or "Guess what? I had fibroids the size of melons! No wonder I hurt!"

"It's all in your head" is doctor-speak for "I don't have the knowledge, patience, or technology to figure out what's actually wrong with you, and I'm frustrated with you coming back looking for help, so I'm going to tell you there is nothing "real" wrong with you to make you go away." It seems pretty arrogant to me that anyone could say "If I can't figure out the problem, then it doesn't exist."

I wouldn't want to wish endo on anyone, but I hope your doctor can find *something*. I know how releived I was when my doctor told me (complete with lap photos) that I had fibroids! (After years of a former doc telling me I was "normal", and should "live with it".) Look into adenomyosis, too. It can cause symptoms like endo, but is within the wall of the uterus, and might not be apparent during a laparoscopy. I *think* it can only really be diagnosed during post-hyst pathology.

Thank goodness you've found a doctor who gives a darn, and is willing to help you. Best of luck with your lap on the 2nd! I hope it is the start of a very healthy year (one of many) for you.
Unread 12-17-2001, 10:36 AM
PTS???

The symptoms you described sound like what I am going through, except without the gall bladder attacks. If you have had a tubal, I would have the gyn check you for PTS (post tubal syndrome). To put it in short, PTS is evil. My wonderful doctor said that 1 out of 5 women experience PTS and 1 out of 5 women will also have to have a hyst due to it. After 2 1/2 years of not knowing why I am exhausted all the time, and in pain, I will be free of it tomorrow.

There is a wonderful site www.tubal.org that you can go to for info.

Other than that, lots of s hopefully they will be able to figure out what is wrong with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2001, 11:18 AM
another question

I still have all the parts except for Gall Bladder, that was removed but with no explanation for it. Only that it wasn't functioning properly. I also told Doc to make sure it was realy taking out when he does the lap. I forgot to ask doc about DC. A friend of mine said it's pretty standard to do while getting the lap? Is this true? And will he be able to look at everything inside even up as high as chest?
Thank you both for replying to my post.
Unread 12-17-2001, 11:36 AM

I did have a D&C when I had my lap, but that was a wierd thing. I was *supposed* to be having a thermal baloon endometrial ablation (which can, but doesn't always, stop excessive bleeding). Part of that deal was a tubal, so I couldn't accidentally get pregnant (very dangerous, after an ablation). So doc started on the ablation procedure, discovered fibroids inside my uterus, and had to do the next best thing - a hysteroscopy (basicaly a good look around), partially removed one fibroid, and did a D&C. He also had a good look around while he was doing the tubal, and found fibroids on the outside of my uterus, too. A D&C can help if you are bleeding excessively. Or not. It didn't help me. If you are not having trouble with heavy bleeding, I don't know why your doc would do a D&C, unless maybe to collect some tissue for testing.

I'm not sure how far up they can "look around" during a lap (at least, without making extra holes in you). Good question for your doc.

By the way, ask - ahead of time - if you can have photos from your lap. I think it's just a matter of them hitting the "Print" button now and then.
Unread 12-17-2001, 12:17 PM

while I've not had many of the symptoms you've shown, my road to hysterland actually started with a gallbladder attack. While the sonogram showed a small stone, the doctor did not feel it was significant to cause any problems. The CT Scan however revealed something much more. For me it was fobroids displacing my other internal organs. (Quite an amazing sight I am told by two surgeons).

You will read many posts here from women who are on their 2nd, 3rd, 5th doctor sometimes before they have received a diagnosis. It sounds like you are on the right track with your new doctor ... just keep listening to your body and don't stop til you are satisified with the answers you are receiving.

BSQ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register