Dr. says go home 2 hours after lap. surgery. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. says go home 2 hours after lap. surgery. Dr. says go home 2 hours after lap. surgery.

Unread 10-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Dr. says go home 2 hours after lap. surgery.

Hi. I'm have the laproscopic hysterectomy on October 19th. I've been reading so many stories but I have yet to find one in which the doctor sends someone home as quickly as mine says he will. He says that about 2 hours after surgery I should be able to go home, it's definitely outpatient, and not overnight. Does this sound normal?? He actually teaches the lap procedure to other doctors, so I'm assuming he knows what he is talking about, but I'm getting really nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Re: Dr. says go home 2 hours after lap. surgery.

Wow I am not sure..
My doc said I needed to be over night to have a catheter the first night to keep an eye on blood in my urine.
Does this mean he will send you home with a catheter?
I wonder if there are other women who was sent home that early and how they fared.
I will say a prayer for you that things go well for you.
Unread 10-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Wow. I've never heard of this...maybe your surgery is going to be a lot easier than usual...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2011, 10:10 AM

What will you need to be able to do to get released? I'd think it would be, pee without a catheter, keep down food, walk around, and have good pain control on pills, not IV. I guess I didn't meet those criteria in 2 hrs. Maybe, recovery room, then 2 more hours? I would be sure I could do all the things on the list before leaving, but I know some lap surgeries are done outpatient. I know my SIL had a different day surgery and they had a recovery area for waking up, then a "pre-home" area where she had to eat, walk, etc, until she was ready to go. Maybe you could ask if that would be the scenario, and have someone with you post op who can be your advocate to be sure you are ready. Best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 10-16-2011, 10:46 AM

I think 2 hours is a little soon but we are all different. I had my DaVinci a couple weeks ago and surgery was from 7:30 to about 12. I woke up in recovery and remember looking at the clock at 1:30, I was then brought down to pre-release holding area. (I did have a room in the hospital but my doctor wanted me to go home that day if possible and I had it in my head that I was going home.) I was given a Percocet and it made me nauseaus so I had to wait before I could leave. I was able to get up and go to the bathroom twice before I left. At about 3:30 I was given a shot for the nausea and finally felt good enough to leave at 6pm. I wanted to get home but not before I knew I was ok. Don't rush it! Good luck to you!
Unread 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM

I had a TVH on the 14th. The surgery went great. I got to keep my tubes and overies. They left the catheder in till 730am (I demanded they take it out) I was miserable. I was able to per exactly after it was out. They couldn't get my pain managed and I threw up and was miserable. I got released at 4pm on the 15th and than at 9pm I had to go to the ER for extreme neausea and more iv fluids. If I were you I would not let them release you two hours after surgery. Your body is put through hell and if you are not feeling 100% ok to go home tell your doctor you can't go home. I wish I told me doctor there was no way I could go home. It would have saved me from a trip to the ER
Unread 10-16-2011, 11:09 AM

I had mine the 13th, came home bout 5 that evening. Two hours is a little soon though, in my opinion. I slept from 9 that morning until dinner after taking more pain meds when I got in the room. The doc said I woke up right after the operation was done and shocked all of them by moving myself from the or table to the bed. I don't remember this but if you would have seen her face when she was telling me. Funny!! Anyway, I would not recommend going home that quick. What if complications arise? My nurse said that they are releasing patients sooner due to costs but I would have stayed if I felt that I needed to. You decide what is best for you and stick with it. Hope everything goes smooth for you. Good luck!
Unread 10-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Thanks for your replies! You know, maybe what he meant was two hours after however long I will be in recovery, not from the time the surgery ends. Thanks for pointing that out, greyown.

I've had a couple other surgeries at this same surgery center and in thinking back on it, I went home the same day even though all were done under general anesthesia and one of them felt pretty traumatic to me (sinus surgery).

That is a cute story nnobles about moving yourself from table to bed! MellyDowns, so happy to hear your surgery went great (I like hearing that as I am sooo nervous right about now). Cheryl, it eases my mind to hear of someone who also went home the same day! Fawn, that would be great if my surgery was easier than usual!! Luv2Hum, thanks for your prayers, that means a lot to me.

Again ladies, thanks for taking the time to read my post and respond.
Unread 10-16-2011, 03:30 PM

I had a lap exploratory surgery in august, and they simply removed a few adhesions. There was no way I was ready to go home after 2 hours. Closer to 4-5 hours in my instance. Not had my hysterectomy yet, but can't imagine having that much more invasive surgery and leaving in half the time...
Unread 10-16-2011, 04:03 PM

I wouldn't go home after 2 hours.
Minimally 12 hours is more like it.

I was home after 2 nights in the hospital, at about 19 or 20 hours.

If I had to do it all over again, 12 hours would have been alright baring any additional complications with the hysterectomy.

Don't let a doctor "push you out" way too early, just so that he/she looks good for a clinical study or insurance company.
Two hours sounds ridiculous.

Good Luck.
If he insists, then maybe you should just refuse to go home until the 12 hour mark. Just tell them you are feeling sick and you don't know what it is, LOL. There is nothing anyone can do about a complaint as benign as that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register