Scheduled TLH I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure

Unread 10-17-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure

Hi ladies. I'm Kelly, 45. Scheduled for a DaVinci TLH-USO on Dec 2. Wondering if anyone has had a similar procedure? Any menopause issues? PostOp problems? Will I need cuddly pillow or is that only for TAH? Any help is welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Re: I'm New! Looking for a friend

I had the procedure done Oct. 7th. Was able to keep my ovaries, but had lots of endometriosis, so she had to cautorize that around my ovaries and several large cysts on my ovaries removed. I have no menopausal issues... sometimes I get a red nose and ears... kind of like hot flashes... but I think it's more related to being tired. Because if I get enough sleep, I am just fine. I did bring a pillow.... so when you cough, you can hold it close. It helps a lot. Also, if you can order the lap band (wraps around your stomach, so you have it when you are home, that's a great help). I didn't get mine until day 5... but I use it when I go out now. I had problems with peeing and had to stay an extra day.. was in the hospital 2 days and my blood pressure was really low. Now, I am fine... the doctor said he must of scraped my urethea a bit or the cathador did and he put me on piridium (makes my pee really orange)... but it numbs things so you are able to heal. I am feeling stronger every day.
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Re: I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure

Thanks so much for sharing your info. I will look into the lap band thingy. Most of what I've read pertains to the TAH so I wasn't sure how much discomfort to expect with the DaVinci procedure. So how were your first couple of days out of the hospital? I'm expecting that I will be sleeping a lot. Were you able to move around without too much trouble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2011, 08:12 AM

Hi! I had the DaVinci procedure, although i kept both ovaries so i can't comment on menopause issues... overall i think the recovery probably IS a bit easier than an abdominal surgery (as my doctor kept promising), but the first week was more uncomfortable than i was prepared for... especially the first few days (my painkillers didn't agree me so i was stuck with Motrin only - ugh. Also i went home with a catheter for a week which was NOT FUN). the gas pains can be really bad and they travel up through your chest and shoulder. it is uncomfortable and a little scary but it passes after a few days. once that dissipates and you are able to have a bowel movement, you will start to feel a lot better. there will be swelling that is uncomfortable but it starts to improve after a few weeks. try to avoid laughing (my husband was watching a lot of 30 Rock and i had to leave the room many times because laughing HURTS!) and coughing... a pillow pressed against you will help a little for sure. take colace every day for the first few weeks! i followed a sort of low-fiber diet (white toast etc.) for the first week or so too which i think was helpful.
best of luck to you!!
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:21 PM

I slept a lot the first 3 to 4 days. I am going back to work on Monday 24th. I am not taking any pain meds and am feeling really good! Still a bit tired, but I am always tired it seems. LOL. Doctor apt. yesterday went well. No sex till Nov. 18th... that kind of bites. Other than that, all is looking good. My scars are so minimal. My doctor was amazing!
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:41 AM

I am 44 and had DaVinci on 8/29. I agree you will want to have a pillow around for coughing laughing and sneezing. I too kept my ovaries so no menopause issues. I did feel tired for awhile but otherwise was up and even went food shopping at day five (not recommended) however DH pushed cart I was just there to walk and get out of the house. Getting out of bed was the hardest. I found that a body pillow in bed the first few weeks was great. I like to sleep on my side and it kept the pressure off. HUGS!!!

Peace & Prayers
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Sleeping on your left side is best... cuz it helps your heart also. Your heart has more room. I have no problems getting in and out of bed now. Keep in touch ladies... I go back to work Monday .
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:20 PM

I'll be having the procedure November 29th. Welcome to the club!

Wishing you the best!

Ara
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks ladies!

@buddygal - a catheter at home for a week? So sorry...that sounds horrible.
@friends1970 - glad your checkup went well.

A friend of mine suggested that I increase my vitamins A, C & E to help me heal more quickly. I'm also trying to tone up & get as healthy as I can over the next 6 weeks. I'll be shopping for a big stuffed animal (in lieu of a pillow) next week.

@arawyn - keep us posted! :-)
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:15 PM

just check with your Dr about the vitamins,mine doesnt want me taking any vitamin E, aspirin ,or anything that could thin the blood, but thats my Dr, I bought a pillow pet, they are cute and cuddly and will help when you need to cough or sneeze

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register