Scheduled TLH I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Re: I'm New! Looking for others with a similar procedure

Yes, do be sure and check with your doctor re: vitamins as certain ones do thin the blood... mine didn't want me taking ANYTHING including multivitamins or OTC painkillers, especially for 2 weeks prior to surgery.

yeah, the catheter was a MAJOR DRAG! but i think it was a common thing for my particular doctor... she told me before the surgery that would be the case although i didn't get a good explanation as to why (i probably didn't ask).

my surgery also went longer than expected - because i had had a previous surgical biopsy, there was a lot of scar tissue for the surgeon to contend with, so instead of being out for 4-5 hours, it was closer to 8. just something to be aware of it you've had a prior procedure!

best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Hi, I had the DaVinci one week ago, on 10/17. I kept both ovaries. I definitely needed a pillow under my tummy when laying down, and for the first few days I held a pillow on my tummy when I walked. My ab binder just came a couple of days ago-- I am wearing that most of the time now. I recommend one, as it really helps with that "pulling" feeling.
I was on Vicadin for around 4 days, gradually transitioning to Advil, with no problems except I am having trouble sleeping at night. I wonder if I was becoming dependent on the Vicodin to sleep...
Also, it does really hurt to laugh! My hubby and teenagers were all here at 3 days post op, and we decided to play Pictionary. At one point, I was laughing and crying at the same time! I could not stop laughing but it hurt so bad that I was crying! I was really worried that I may have ruptured something but I felt fine the next day.
Anyway, otherwise I feel I am doing great. Still need to be careful with how much activity I do, and I have been having some lower back pain, but heat helps. All in all, I am glad I did it; I am looking forward to getting back to normal and living life without those horrible fibroids!
Good luck
P.S. One thing that surprised me was I am not bleeding at all. For some reason I expected I would be bleeding for awhile, but I have not had any blood or discharge of any kind since day 1 post op.
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:27 PM

My daughter has a pink unicorn pillow pet she said I could borrow. She said it would be good for me because it's magical. I'm hoping she's right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Thanks for sharing ladies. This info is very helpful. I'm glad to see that everyone is n the road to recovery. FYI, I've ordered a purple hippo pillow :-)

Here's another issue. I plan to have one ovary removed because something yet-to-be-identified is growing in it. I'm already on HRT because my body decided to start menopause early. I am trying to decide if I should have both ovaries removed to avoid future problems (and potentially another surgery). My doctor says it's up to me. Any thoughts? It looks like you were all able to keep your ovaries so I realize that you may not be able to address this one.
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:25 PM

I am new to this website so I hope this gets to you as my reply. I am 57 and had the Davinchi total hysterectomy on October 12 th. I had 2 very large fibroids on the outside of my uterus that were causing hip and leg pain. I really hesitated but I am glad I had it done. The first 2 days ( and I had to stay 2 nights) were rough. I wasn't really in that much pain because of the pain meds but they made me really tired. I pretty much slept the whole time. I got up once with help the first night. My bladder wasn't emptying enough so they had to put the catheter back in until it did. When I came home I went to bed and stayed there for 10 days. I did take a shower every day. It's been 18 days and I have only been out of the house once on a short drive (my husband drove) and that put me down the next day. Started getting good agiain so I did a little housework on Thursday and pretty much stayed up on my feet all day. Well on Friday (yesterday) I went totally backwards and stayed in bed all day in pain and slept 5 hours!
So my best advice is to get help and follow doctors orders or it will take you twice as long to recover. I did go on the vivelle patch but still have crying spells for no reason. I will adjust and my post op is next Friday. I am a very busy person so having something controlling me to stay down is the hardest part. They tell you the. Recovery is faster with the robotics but don't tell you how much faster. I didn't ask and every one is different. I do have some good advice...I took 2000mg of vitamin C and 20,000 iu of vit. A
A week before surgery. It is suppose to help you heal faster. Also after surgery take 1 colace in the morning and one in the evening to help you go to the bathroom and an apple a day will help also. Drink lots of water!
And I also take probiotics every day to prevent yeast infections from all the antibiotics. Good luck and you will be fine!
Unread 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Hi I had the Davinci surgery on July 5, 2011. Recovery was not so bad. i had my ovaries removed and waited to go on hormone replacement. Should of went on right away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register