#1 thing to take to hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

#1 thing to take to hospital #1 thing to take to hospital

Unread 10-17-2011, 09:51 AM
#1 thing to take to hospital

I've been in the hospital a few times before and it seems like I usually don't need much.... maybe 1 or 2 things to really get by. What is the #1 thing to make sure I take to the hospital with me? What about once I get home? What 1 thing should I have at home FOR SURE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Re: #1 thing to take to hospital

At the hospital - a pillow for your belly on the ride home was a must. It was also helpful to lie against, prop yourself up with etc. As it was I only took a tooth brush & hair brush. I didn't need anything else.

At home a heating pad and my pillow. I also stocked up on mint tea and ready made jello & applesauce cups. Each soothed my tummy if it got upset & didn't tend to constipate & didn't hurt my throat.
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:17 AM

I am not taking much either.
Cell Phone, Hair brush, tooth brush, face wipes, foundation makeup (just in case I feel like it), hair ties, juice mix-ins, clean undies and sports bra. I bought this cute little bag but it is too big for what I am taking. I am thinking of just moving down to a small book bag type.
I have mixed feeling on the pillow. Maybe I will just leave one in the car just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM

I know I am taking my own pillow to sleep with plus I'm buying a pillow pet for a tummy pillow. Hospital pillows are usually terrible and have latex in them and get hot...yuck! I guess I should start referring to it as the "castle"?! Didn't think about the bra, probably shouldn't go without one for 2 weeks...haha!!
Unread 10-17-2011, 12:24 PM

I did not think about how bad hospital pillows are. i think I will take mine with me. I love my down pillow...
Unread 10-17-2011, 03:32 PM

A small notebook - it helps to make notes of who came by to visit or calls to check up on you (I got bent out of shape that a friend didn't call to check up on me - but hubby had made a note that she had called so I got over my snit.) I also thought I would remember the name of the nurse I liked so much, but alas I cannot remember her name.
Unread 10-17-2011, 03:46 PM

I took my own pillow too. I also brought a sleep mask and ear plugs. Besides that I would say other essentials would be my tummy pillow, hair elastics and lip balm.

At home my iPad and insulated water cup with a straw are my essentials.
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:49 PM

I didn't take my own pillow . . . all the germs floating around there, YUCK! But that's just me.

I brought my cell phone and charger, a book to read (yeah right, that didn't happen!), my own deodorant and lotion and hair brush from home (they did provide deodorant and lotion but I wanted my own for aromatherapy purposes). The #1 thing I absolutely could not have survived there without was my ChapStick!! Most hospitals don't carry real lip balm, just vaseline. I must've used half a tube while I was in there.
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM

I took my son's pillow pet and it saved me. It not only reminded me of home but I pulled it over my head during the day when I was napping and over my stomach when I was sitting up, coughing, etc. My husband brought my laptop to me on day 4 (I was in there 6 days) which I don't receommend if you are on morphine and facebook. Hair ties too. They gave me soap to use but it made me so itchy that I couldn't stand it.

I craved baked potatoes when I got home. I also had gas pills but only got to take 2 because our dog got the box and ate the entire thing. Gross! Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM

My list,
lip balm,comfy clothes for the ride home, pillow pet,toothbrush and paste,hairbrush.
Home I have a little corner of my bedroom were I am stockpiling
have my reacher grabber,heating pad,my back support pillow with the arms, my kindle is downloaded with books,have a huge insulated mug,but thinking of one with a straw
good idea with the applesauce and jello, think I will try that too
so nice to have the sister's to talk to

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register