No Nail Polish? Seriously?!?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Nail Polish?  Seriously?!?! No Nail Polish? Seriously?!?!

Unread 10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
No Nail Polish? Seriously?!?!

Just got off the phone with the nurse from the castle going over all my pre-op questions & instructions and she said I cannot wear any nail polish! Although this is very trivial, my big toenail is beyond ugly and I always wear polish to hide the ugly nail... it makes me very self conscious. I dropped a game table on it setting up a school carnival and it's never healed right. Now I'm bummed that I have to remove my brand new pedicure polish Did anyone else get that instruction?

Other than that, I'm packing my bag getting ready to leave at 5:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. Not taking much, just jammies in case I want them, my robe, toothbrush & paste, hair brush & ties, face wipes, hand lotion, lip oil, snuggly socks, belly binder, coming home sweats and my comfy pillow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Re: No Nail Polish? Seriously?!?!

May seem trivial....but I understand. I too want to go get mani and pedi, I am worried that they will tell me all has to come off and if I wait til my pre-op to find out, I will not have time as those are the two busiest days ahead. Many women say get your toes done cause it will be a while. Hoping I can find out asap....Good luck and best wishes on Wednesday.
Unread 10-17-2011, 02:55 PM

They say that because of the alcohol that is in most polishes. I know is sounds weird and trivial but they wouldn't tell you that is it wasn't for a good reason. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck with your surgeries. I'm almost 6 weeks out and feel great. Just remember that this is major surgery and to take your time to heal. I learned the hard way that you don't want to mess with it.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 03:06 PM

Nail polish on either toes or fingers is a no no. NOT sure why, but that's what they say.IF you don't remove it, they will do it for you. NO ONE will be looking at your 'ugly toe' anyway!!! SO, don't fret about it.
Sounds like you are ready to 'rock and roll' GOOD luck. Can't wait to hear from you after to let us know how you are doing.
Unread 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM

I can tell you why....they look at the fingernails and toenails to monitor blood flow and oxygen flows during surgery. If you have nail polish on, it makes it impossible for them to do that, so most of the time if you haven't removed it, they will do so.
Unread 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM

I was allowed to keep my toe nail polish on - but had to remove it from my hands. I was told it was for the oxygen/pulse monitor that goes on your finger - it isn't accurate with polish on. I forgot to take mine off (it is clear) and they allowed me to just take it off the one finger. Granted I ended up chewing it off the other fingers since my surgery was delayed for 3 hours due to an emergency c-section.
Unread 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM

it is so they can see the blood reflex in the toes and fingers...

trust me...I want nothing better than to paint over my ucky big toe nails...
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:46 PM

Like others said, the reason you're not supposed to have nail polish on is because it can interfere with the pulse oximeter which monitors your O2 status before, during, and after surgery. Ask your doc to be sure, but toenail polish should be fine. I had my toenails polished when I had my surgery and they didn't need to remove it. Maybe you could get away with just having the polish on your pointer finger removed.

Best wishes!!
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:51 PM

I have acrylic tips plus pedi'ed toenails. I was not told anything about needing to remove anything. They said that modern equipment has no problems monitoring oxygen levels on a patient with tips and/or polish. My surgery went fine even with acrylic tips, polish and pedi'ed toes

Good luck!
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM

I didn't think about the pulse/ox... duh! I didn't do my fingernails for that purpose, but did have the toe nails done since there is no way in the world I am going to be wanting to bend to do them myself anytime soon.

ParrotCrazy, yeah I had the acrylics & painted toes for my bladder sling & ablation a few years ago and was fine... they said nothing about removing them. My hyst & rectocele repair are being done in a new hospital this go around... so maybe it's just their policy. I dunno! I'm going to call my GYN's nurse in the morning and ask her. In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy my pretty toes while they last, LOL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register