*THIS* close to backing out! Help! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

*THIS* close to backing out!  Help! *THIS* close to backing out! Help!

Unread 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Re: *THIS* close to backing out! Help!

Raquel2B, not a stupid question regarding the CDs at all! In fact, when my Dr and I first talked about the CDs she asked if it was something that should be played in the OR during the surgery since she always plays music. I didn't know until I got them that it is something to be used with headphones by the patient since it is kind of a guided meditation that focuses on relaxing your body in steps right up until you fall asleep - not what I wanted my surgeon to do!

I know there are lots of musical relaxation CDs - wind sounds, ocean sounds, rain sounds, etc. This set has background music, but is actually someone talking and guiding you through steps to relax your body and mind. If you google hemi-sync you'll see Monroe products and that is the group that makes this specific surgical set (and lots of other CDs for all kinds of things as well). I think I bought them on amazon. You'll also probably find lots of other guided relaxation exercises and truly, I'm sure any of them would help. It's a little "healy feely" as we call it, but really, I didn't give a hoot, I needed the help! And this set deals specifically with surgery and I thought I needed that. Let me know if you have trouble finding them and I'll dig around and find more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Hi Glad you posted! I am 3 weeks post TAH kept my ovaries . I had 3 grapefruit sized fibroids. I am a size 4-6 and looked like I nice pooch! It took me 2 years, one cancelled surgery and 3 doctors to get to the point where I was ready to do the hysterectomy. I figured if I was not 100% ready then it would be a mistake because it could not be put back, right! I was concerned about if I could get my head in the right place if I rushed into it. So I looked at my own personal issues of hoping for another baby, which was not going to happen. Learnt to celebrate what I had so far in my life. And then started investigating. I weighed up myomectomy options, fibroidebolectomy, treatment with Lupron to shrink the fibroids so I could try and have options to avoid an abdominal incision. After I had all the facts I choose the TAH , kept my ovaries, no cervix. I am doing well, the surgery was pretty much what I expected although I had barely any pain the first 24rs, thanks to a spinal anesthesia as well as the general. I am doing great, it hurts to sneeze or cough a bit. But I now take no pain meds, not even a motrin and havent since the 2nd week . Yes I guess my belly is still a bit swollen still, but it is way smaller than before the surgery. So I can't wait to see what it will be like once I can start to exercise. I had a few teary days in the first week, hormones. Like crying at something I was really sure of. weird but now I am over that. I want you to know that I still feel like me, just the same and very normal!
So do it at your own speed, do what you need to do to get to where you are ready. Love your self and be your biggest advocate, ask questions, don't worry about offending Dr's or changing your mind. Get educated and then you will know the right thing to do for YOU>Love and hugs
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:56 PM

You are welcome Raquel.

Oh, I have a little tip for you if you have the surgery. Don't know if anyone has every told you............. I used my old panty liners and pads to put across my incision so my panties, pants, skirts or shorts wouldn't make it hurt so bad. Just peel and stick to the inside of your panties and you have a nice, soft cushion to protect your incision. Mine was a little more tricky since it was vertical but I made it work. I just peeled the bottom part off, stuck it inside, just below the elastic (I wear the low rise kind) and had the rest of it flopping up in the air. lol. But of course, when I put on my clothes, that pad stood up high enough to cover it to the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM

I had 1 fibroid that was 10cm, large grapefruit size and I was scared to get a tvh. But now 5 days post op I'm glad I didn't wait till menapose for it to shrink! I kept my overies and all is normal. I 36 years old and I wasn't using my uterus anymore, it was just causing problems and pain. Im still as much of a woman as I was before surgery and now happy that fibroid is no longer a part of my life. Good luck, it's worth it to be to get it out
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Raquel, I have my surgery scheduled for Dec. Long wait gives me way too much time to think about it.

I'm glad you're feeling less panicky. I did a lot of reading when the hyst was first brought up. Some of it was scary. I agree there are a lot of people who make you think that you shouldn't have the surgery. I think it is important to find a dr. you trust, ask questions, and find support. For most of us a hyst is not life or death. You can take your time to evaluate your options. If your dr. thinks something else might work then if you want, you can pursue that.
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Hey Raquel2B, no I haven't had my surgery yet it's scheduled for next Tuesday, Oct. 25th. I'm having a LAVH (laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy). They are removing my uterus and cervix.

Swelly Belly is from a couple things, the first being the gas they use, the second is just like any surgery or injury to your body the tissue swells for a few days and the third is because you have extra space in there now everything moves around to take up the space especially your intestines but nothing moves that's not suppose to.

The binder helps to support your stomach muscles while you are recovering but if your muscles are strong there it probably isn't needed. The loose clothing is so that you won't have clothing rubbing against your incision(s) and irritating them. The belly binder is tight and doesn't rub. You may benefit from picking up a couple pairs of the tummy control underwear as opposed to the belly binder if your really concerned about whether to purchase the binder or not.

Good luck and keep asking questions, the more you know about any concerns you have the better you'll feel.
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks, calnative! I checked out the website for the cds and it looks really interesting. I don't have time right now, but am going to do further investigating to see if I have to purchase an actual cd or if there is downloadable music there...if so, I think I can download to iTunes and then put on my iPod and maybe use that with earbuds for the surgery. I'm going to ask my dr. and/or his nurse if this is something that is allowed at this particular hospital and if they find it advisable. Sounds good to me! I need all the help I can get, lol!
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Hi hapi2Bdun! I'm glad your procedure went well! Sounds like you really did weigh all your options. I'm told my fibroid is the size of a small grapefruit (9 cm x 6cm x 6cm or something like that, I think) and is probably bigger now as that was from the ultrasound taken in 01/11 and it definitely seems larger and heavier now than then. My dr. examined me in September and said he still can do the horizontal bikini cut, based on what he was feeling then. I am wondering, if you don't mind me asking, why was your cervix taken? I'm seeing that a lot here where the ovaries are left intact, but cervix is gone and just wonder why. My dr. says he will leave both cervix and ovaries. I've been having hormonal issues, including weepiness over the last few weeks, so at least I'm used to that right now, lol! Again, glad you're doing well and thanks for the input! I hope that once I have my procedure, I'll be able to chime in here and help someone else out who might be where I am right now. Take care!
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Wow, Keltec, what a great idea! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Not looking forward to a sore tummy. *sigh*
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM

I was worried until I read a study that the largest majority of women are extremely pleased with the outcome of their hysterectomy and many, many respond that it was the best thing that they ever did. I asked around and found this is the case with the women that I personally knew who had a hysterectomy.

Also the hormonal problems if you keep your ovaries are probably overstated. I asked around, and they several people I know personally said not a problem. I also have not had a problem.

Looking back, because the symptoms snuck up on me for years, I didn't realize how much pain and distress I was putting up with. Now I just wonder why did I wait so long to free myself from pain!

Sure you won't be able to work out much for weeks. I don't miss it as much as I thought, just because you will not have full energy for a time. Abdominal surgery does take some time to recuperate from and you will have to tone it down. A lifetime free of pain is worth quite a bit to me though. Your chances of dying in surgery are very small. 6 to 11 per 10000. And I would guess that most who did die likely had some other underlying health issues, since not everyone undergoing this is as healthy and young as you are.

Of course it is a major surgery and there are risks. Personally, even after just 6 weeks and not being back to 100% yet, I still think it was a very good decision. No more "bad" days for me... at least no more days where my uterus rules the roost. The other organs got together and voted it out of the body... and they are happier without it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register