*THIS* close to backing out! Help! - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

*THIS* close to backing out!  Help! *THIS* close to backing out! Help!

Unread 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Re: *THIS* close to backing out! Help!

Thanks, readytocruise, I think you're right...that's why I'm working on a major attitude adjustment, in order to a) not drive myself - and my hubby - crazy and b) to be good to my body, now and AFTER surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanks inlash2! Staying positive is not my strong suit, but being here for the last couple of days and hearing some positive stories from women who have been there/done that with regard to hysterectomies has helped me sooooo much! I'm really determined to stay positive and focused on a GOOD OUTCOME!
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Hi PositiveThinker and welcome! I've only been here a couple of days myself. Let me tell you, this site...these ladies who are going through the same thing I am or who have gone through their surgeries, have made SUCH a difference! I'm feeling more and more encouraged about having this surgery done and am now trying to focus on being positive and having a good outcome to my surgery. Like you, I've been putting things off...first because my large fibroid wasn't causing me *that much* trouble and then out of fear and lastly, because I just didn't have the time. My hubby and I stay busy in our family owned business and there's just not enough time for dr.'s appts., bloodwork, surgery, or being laid up. But now I'm backed into a corner by my body, by my fibroid and by my hormones, so I'm having to do it...forced into it kicking and screaming. So now is the time for me to accept that this IS going to happen and that I have to deal with it. The ladies here who have shared their stories have made more of impact on me (positively) than they'll EVER know! I hope you stick around, make some friends, ask the questions you need to, and get any answers or support that you might need. Good luck with your upcoming procedure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Please, Please don't change your minds. I'm 52 & recovering in week 3 my uterus was a16! That's like 4 months pregnant! The swelly Belly is so much better than the large uterus & all of its nastiness. I've been dealing with the pain off & on for years& I'm now so grateful I had the surgery to remove my uterus instead of trying to remove the growth & clean up the uterus yet again! (3 times) I did keep my right ovary so that should help a little with the hormones. Hang in there life after surgery gets better & better!
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Shirley! Thanks to the ladies like you here who have shared their stories and positive feedback, I'm moving forward with my surgery. My dr. has told me I'll be able to keep my ovaries and my cervix, so I hope that continues to be the game plan. I'm so glad your procedure went well and that you're recovering nicely! At the time of my ultrasound (in Jan/2011), it showed my fibroid to be a "14 week gestation" size...and I believe it's grown some since then (just feeling a difference in heaviness and size of my belly)...so I'm probably kind of where you were when you had yours removed. I had wondered about just having the fibroid removed, but that evidently wasn't an option and according to what my dr.'s nurse has told me, along with what you've said here and others that I've read, the suckers can grow back, so it's not really taking care of the problem. I'm just going to focus now on trying to be positive, de-stress, and workout and be healthy while I can, in order to help my healing process. Thanks for sharing your story and your words of encouragement!! Continue to heal up and congrats on your success!
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inevitable View Post
Omg I know exactly how you feel! I created the thread "The shock wore off ...." I was in the emergency room yesterday after being taken there by ambulance because I couldn't breathe, I was dizzy, lightheaded and thought I was going to pass out. I was hemorraging and was was sure I was losing too much blood. My tests were all normal. They summed it up as an anxiety attack from the anticipation of the operation. I called my dr. today and said "what if you're wrong - I have to live with the consequences" ... this is the state I am in. I feel too like this is the worst thing to have happened to me. I just pray for a miracle siince the surgery has not been scheduled as of yet. You are better than me ... I'm letting this destroy me and it hasn't even been scheduled!
I thought I was the only one depressed and freaking out after my ob/gyn recommended a hysterectomy for me at my appointment last Friday. I've suffered with fibroids since 2000 and over the years they have gotten huge and the heavy bleeding has increased along with passing blood clots. In spite of what my ob/gyn says sometimes I feel like just doing nothing until the heavy bleeding starts up again and I fear I will bleed to death. It really is hard deciding to have a hysterectomy and then being comfortable with that decision. I'm in your shoes and know exactly how you're feeling. I fear I won't survive surgery or have complications afterwards.
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:07 PM
*THIS* close to backing out! Help!

I know how you're feeling. I am freaking out about having to have a hysterectomy. About 6 weeks ago, I found out that I have to have my gallbladder removed, then 2 weeks later I found out about the hysterectomy. I don't have fibroids, but my cervix has prolapsed. So, my gyn is going to remove my uterus and cervix...but leave my ovaries. I also have PCOS, so I'm not sure how all of this will go. I met with my general surgeon today about my gallbladder, and he is going to coordinate with my gyn so that both surgeries at the same time. They want to use the davinci method for both...on or around Nov. 17. At first I was scared about a robot, but the more I read about it, the more comfortable I get. This is apparently the latest and greatest. I am 43 years old and have no children due to PCOS. I have come to terms with not having kids, but having the hysterectomy is "finalizing" it...if that makes sense. So, I'm upset about everything, but I'm trying to stay as positive as I can. I've had surgery before (on my back) and it went great. I have faith that this surgery will go well too.

BTW...I also live in a rural area. I would not let any doctor here cut on me. I travel about an hour away...not only to another city, but another state.

You are the only one that can make the decision for you. If you need to take time to decide, do so...if it's not urgent. I decided pretty quickly because I'm tired of being uncomfortable. Keep the faith, and good luck to you.
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Hi Feebs68! So sorry you're having to go through this. I am hanging on to the hope that once I have the partial hysterectomy, that I will feel better and be glad I went through it. I hope that will also be the case with you! Right now I'm going through those few days a month where I'm feeling pretty good, so then I start to think "maybe I can just NOT do this." I have one large fibroid (that we know of) and I don't have all the bleeding and bad periods that a lot of ladies here have talked of, so it's even more of a temptation for me to just back out of the surery...but then as I get toward my period, my fibroid gets heavier, pelvic heaviness is greater, bladder pressure is greater, and then there are the hormonal issues, PLUS knowing that if I continue to wait, the fibroid will continue to grow until I hit menopause anyway...and even then, if I do any kind of HRT, it would cause the fibroid to grow again, even if it's been shrunk by menopause, so I guess I'm going forward.

I don't think my surgery is going to be da vinci method...I'm going to talk to my gyn about it about a week or so before my surgery, when I go to meet with him and get my paperwork. It sounds like you're going to be scheduled right around the same time as me (Nov. 14th for me). I'll be keeping you in my most positive thoughts.

The rural area thing is a real bummer...and like you, I travel out of state to see my gyn. I'm hearing a lot here about 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) opinions, but we only have 1 gyn in our rural area and trying to find another dr. in an area where I don't live is very daunting...I wouldn't know where to start. My gyn did my tubal back in 1999 and I was very pleased with that surgery, made out great, so I'm going to trust him to do this as well. I hear you about not trusting the local dr.'s...same for our area. IF we get any kind of decent dr. here, they either a) fill up so quickly with patients due to word of mouth spreading about them being good that they stop taking new patients and are totally maxed out or b) they don't last here long, leaving for greener pastures where they can make more $$$ or be in an area where there's actually a decent medical community for them to work within, instead of a totally incompetent hospital and other incompetent dr.'s. I travel over an hour away to my gyn and don't really have a PCP that I see here...I've established one just in case I need something, but don't go to her at all and don't really trust her (she advised me years ago to just get everything, ovaries and all, yanked out, so I wouldn't run the risk of ovarian cancer, even though I've had no problems and there's no family history...she's an ovarian cancer survivor and just advises her patients that way...yuck!)

So I wish you luck...for now, I'm planning on going forward with my procedure. It sucks that I have to do this and ticks me off that I'm one of those women who get to be so "blessed" with this fibroid and hormone problems, whereas so many other women don't have to deal with it...but I'm going to look at the positive and move on. It's just a throw of the dice, I guess, as far as which women have these problems and which ones don't...so here we are. Best of luck to you!!
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:38 PM

I have no idea what to do now! My doctor has changed my surgery date 3 times and now it is set for Nov 1st. I have officially been on medical leave with my company since Oct 17th since my surgery was supposed to be on the 18th. My leave is unpaid except for the two and a half weeks of vacation time that I have because I only work part time. I am really ready to say forget the whole thing and try to live life with pain.
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:30 AM

I haven't been on this board in a very long time but was glad I came across your message. First of all not everyone has trouble with Hormones after surgery. I had my complete hysterectomy 2 years ago and have never taken or needed Hormone replacement drugs. The fact that you are keeping your ovaries will slow down the menopause process, but it will be inevitable because the uterus is your ovaries main blood supply so slowly but gradually your ovaries will shut down....but my understanding is that even then they will produce small amounts of hormones. As for the fear you have of going into surgery and coming out alive....many many many have gone before you and we are hear to say that you will be okay. Swelly Belly only last for a short time, but plan on wearing comfy pants for a few months. My surgery was not optional as I had cancer but am thankful to remain cancer free for 2 years now. If you are second guessing this surgery though you may want to get a second opinion, most doctors expect that you will when making a huge change to your body. God Bless...and Good Luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register