*THIS* close to backing out! Help! - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

*THIS* close to backing out!  Help! *THIS* close to backing out! Help!

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Re: *THIS* close to backing out! Help!

After two years of bowel and bladder problems, my gyne agreed to my vh, five weeks post op and all my previous symptoms have gone. I defo think what helped me through surgery was my positive attitude, even through recovery this last few weeks I have not looked back. Good luck, You will make the right decision for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2011, 07:10 AM

I was also terrified but there was a story or post I read of a tumor being found at autopsy weighing over 100lbs scared me more. I had my hysterectomy done leaving just my ovaries Oct 3rd at 36. 3 weeks later I feel like me again...with more energy. It takes alot of women time to realize we also need to take care of ourselves...we have ALOT of people who depend on us...but relax and know that there have been millions of women who have had this procedure and who have gone on to leave fully productive lives. Take care and God bless
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Thanks again so much ladies for all your wise advice and encouragement. I find myself still having moments of panic and I guess I will until the procedure is actually done. I have 3 more weeks to go as my surgery is set for Nov. 14. Woke up this morning with the surgery in the forefront of my mind (where it usually stays) and found myself having those scary, awful thoughts again. I am trying really hard to be positive. I know I can't back out, but I'm still terrified. Your positive reports have helped me realize that this is something I definitely need to do and not keep dragging my feet on, but old habits (negative thinking) die hard. I'm still really going to focus on being positive, as I think it will help me in every aspect. Love to you all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM

I know how you feel. I have had my surgery scheduled for quite some time and it gives you too much time to think about things!! I, too have a large fibroid. Not sure how many weeks gestation they call it but it is 3.7cm and it sits on top of my uterus making my uterus 1 1/2 times the normal size. Do you have to have the abdominal incision? I am having my uterus and cervix removed laparascopically using the da Vinci robot. Ask if you aren't sure what I am talking about. I think the pain and recovery is much less!
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Hi Lovetochat! My fibroid is considered to be 14 weeks gestational size (if not larger...the ultrasound showed this in January...I do believe it may have grown a little since then.) I was told by my dr.'s nurse that it was 9cm x 6cm x 6 cm, I think. My doctor has told me that I will have an abdominal incision, horizontally, along the bikini line (as with a c-section.) I spoke with a friend of mine who had the exact same surgery that I'm scheduled to have at the exact same hospital by the exact same dr. She was very encouraging and told me her whole story. (Ironically, I was the one who referred my dr. to her at the time, as she didn't have a gyn who would perform the surgery...I'd had this dr. since 1999 when he did my tubal ligation.) He left her ovaries and cervix intact, as well as a tiny portion of her uterus and he has told me that he plans on leaving my cervix and ovaries intact too, unless he sees something "amiss" there. He says that leaving the cervix not only helps with physical sensations during sex, but also aids in support for other organs/"stuff" that's inside you. My friend says that she's made out great and that she was so glad she had it done. Like you, the waiting is getting a bit daunting...I have a little over 2 weeks to go now...I go to pick up my paperwork and have labwork done next week, so I'm still planning on moving forward! When is your surgery scheduled? I wish you the best of luck with your procedure...yes, I've heard of daVinci, but I don't think my dr. is using that. Good luck with everything and keep us all posted!
Unread 10-29-2011, 02:07 AM

Hi there, I am having a full Da Vinci robotic hysterectomy done this coming Friday. They diagnosed me with early signs of endometrial cancer. They said the only way to get rid of it was to do a hysterectomy. I am 43 and never had a surgery ever in my life except for a hysteroscopy which is how they found out I had the early sign of endometrial cancer. But you know what I will not lie, I am a little scared but if I did not have the support of God, my husband and fmaily I would really be a basket case. It will be fine, we both also have a great support team of sisters on this site. Thanks to all of you. I pray that both of our surgeries will be great. Just keep the faith hun.
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:02 AM

My surgery is November 16th.
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:01 AM

I totally know what u mean re thinking of backing out! I was reconsidering right up to the morning of my surgery; crying quietly moments before. I held on tight to the words my dear friend (who had a hysterectomy 4 yrs ago) said to me about 2 weeks prior, "You HAVE to keep a positive attitude; it will result in an easier recovery." she then went on to say, "What are you worrying about? They are not taking your brain! That, my dear is the sexiest thing about a woman. Remember to keep positive."

Her words were true but I still cried & wondered if there was another way to do this. I did seek another opinion & all indications said this had to be done. Man! was I surprised! I didn't die! I had pain but it was/is managable. I could walk! And now I am a self proclaimed (thanks to hystersisters) 'princess' letting my friends &family take care of me - I have a big job to do - HEALING -so far so good.

I just found out that another girl who is 3 weeks post op walked 3 miles this week! I think she found her super hero power somewhere lol. Here's hoping my time will come soon too.

It's hard to avoid the scary stuff online but I did try to limit the 'what if' research. On the days I needed a boost, I would search post op threads that celebrated the procedure - no more crazy periods woot woot! No more girly products! Sex with 0 concern of whether your body is going to bleed thid time (still waiting on that one lol I am only 11 days post op - behaving & waiting til dear doc says I am good to go lol).

I know there may be complications down the rd but for now I choose to keep positive, limit the 'what if' thoughts and stay focused on what I need for the moment.

We are here for you - pre op & post op :-)
Unread 10-30-2011, 10:49 AM

Hi ladies..... I've been reading the posts and I was just as scared as all of you. I prayed a lot. I don't know if you're Catholic, but I had the Anointing of the Sick- a special blessing, and that helped me a lot!!!!! I felt at peace about the surgery. Prior to that I was afraid that I was going to die during the surgery. Today, I'm so happy that I had it done. I feel great, no bleeding, I eat right and walk everyday. My friends call me a Super Hero! That's how good I feel.

My advice is to stop reading off the Internet! Trust your doctor and get a second opinion if you want to hear from another professional.

I'll keep you in my prayers!! Good luck to all!
Unread 10-30-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggle bunny View Post
Hi there, I am having a full Da Vinci robotic hysterectomy done this coming Friday. They diagnosed me with early signs of endometrial cancer. They said the only way to get rid of it was to do a hysterectomy. I am 43 and never had a surgery ever in my life except for a hysteroscopy which is how they found out I had the early sign of endometrial cancer. But you know what I will not lie, I am a little scared but if I did not have the support of God, my husband and fmaily I would really be a basket case. It will be fine, we both also have a great support team of sisters on this site. Thanks to all of you. I pray that both of our surgeries will be great. Just keep the faith hun.
I had the same procedure last Friday! Trust God! I was scared to death to have it done, but I'm feeling great today!!!! Good luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register