Lupron injections before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron injections before surgery Lupron injections before surgery

Unread 10-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Lupron injections before surgery

I am new to this site and and quite nervous about my upcoming surgery, specifically getting lupron injections before. Most of my research has revealed very bad side effects. I am thinking of canceling the injections and just having the surgery. Thoughts, anyone?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Re: Lupron injections before surgery

That is a question you really need to ask your doctor. They should be able to help you.

Good luck and hugs to you.
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Thank you. I realize everyone reacts differently. I have spoken to the doctor but was hoping to hear from those who have used it for fibroid shrinkage. My surgery is in 6 weeks. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 09:37 PM

Hi Ridet11,
I had Lupron shots before my surgery. I had 1 shot each month for 3 months before surgery. The first month the side effects were mild, then they were stronger after.
I had and still have hot flashes. It sometimes take up to 5 months for the effects to go away. I had insomnia and mood swings. On the positive side, the shots worked and shrunk my fibroids enough to have a sucessful LAVH surgery. The side effects were not fun, but not bad enough for me to regret it.
Everyone is different and not everyone handles the Lupron the same way. Keep talking to your doctor about your concerns and research the side effects.
Good luck!!
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:39 PM

I had 4 injections last year in an attempt to shrink my huge fibroids in preparation for surgery. Even though I was eager to get the surgery over with, my doctor believed that it would make the surgery easier since some of the fibroids were calcified into the walls of the uterus. She also hoped that if the fibroids shrink enough perhaps they could be removed vaginally instead of a TAH incision. Well, the 1st shot gave little side effects. With the 2nd shot I started having hot flashes, insomnia and irritability, stopped having periods. However, at that point there was a slight reduction in the size of the fibroids. Then at the 3rd shot, I felt noticeable growth in the tumors and much increase in hot flashes, insomina, irritability. The 4th shot was an after thought by the doctor because of the holidays to get me through until January for my scheduled surgery. With the 4th shot my tumors had grown significantly from the size before the 1st shot. I ended up having to have a TAH with a vertical incision. If I knew then what I know now, perhaps I would have opted out of having the shots. However, there was really no way of knowing. On the positive side, at least I tried it even though it did not work for me. There was really no way of knowing prior to the injections whether they would work. I advise you have an open discussion with your doctor. I have since gotten over the awful side effects and I feel much better. Best wishes to you.
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Ridert11,

The thought of Lupron shots can surely be scary. Reading lots of comments on the horrible side effects doesn't help! Keep in mind that people with problems tend to post more than those who don't.

I had a total of seven one month shots, two several years before my hyser. Those two shots gave me more symptoms than the five I had before my hyster in '07. I was closer to menopause for the second batch of shots which I think made them easier to handle. I had hot flashes, mood swings some sleep problems but I was already having those problems so they didn't seem that bad. Everyone is different. It took a couple months to stop my crazy heavy bleeding and then I would have to say I felt better on the L
upron than I did before. My huge, 5 month size , uterus was shrunk dramatically to a more manageable size enabling a LSH. That was my goal.

I was pleased with the Lupron but that isn't true for everyone. I believe it caused my cholesterol to go up but I was able to get it back down post-op.

If your goal is a less invasive surgery, maybe a second opinion or two could lead you to a doc who will do the surgery you want without the Lupron?

Let us know what you decide, I hope whatever you chose works well for you.

Unread 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess my primary concern is whether I will realize a significant result between now and the surgery date in 6 weeks. (enough to overlook the negative side effects.) I plan to speak to my doctor again, but I understand that she will do the surgery with or without the injections.

Thanks again for the replies. They have helped ease my anxiety.
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Ridert11

I had 3 (monthly) shots which more than had the desired effect with my enormous fibroid shrinking by two-thirds! Yes, there were menopausal-type side effects but they were nothing I couldn't handle.

Although everyone's experience is different, and there are those who have problems (as with any drug), it's worth remembering when researching something like this ~ especially on the internet ~ that "good news is no news!".

I'm sending positive thoughts!

Unread 10-18-2011, 11:02 PM

I have had lurpon years ago and did ok, no bad side effects except for bad hot fllashes.
This year I had one shot in july and had surgey in october 3rd.
I had a bad reaction to lupron this year, i thought i was sick with something worse then flu. My bones and muscles hurt so bad that I needed narcotics. NO JOke. But that is a rare side effect and was weird. It effected me for two three weeks. Was not pleasant. I litterally was sick bad. It did shrink the eno though to the point they didn't see any on my pathology report and I feel like I didn't like that.
Its really up to you and your gyn
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM

This is a decision that you and your doc can only make.

My doc suggested Lupron. I did some research also and I just couldn't justify the side effects/possible side effects, short term or long term. I saw some say it did a good job, some it didn't. My uterus was huge and full of fibroids. My doc explained that she only recommends 3 months and no longer than 6 months. And it was highly possible that it wouldn't shrink them enough after 6 months to do a bikini cut and felt it was almost impossible to shrink them enough to do it Lap.

I found no real long term studies out there to clarify the long term effects it has on the body. I just didn't think it would be worth it in the end. I'm paranoid about things like that. I see all of the time, the FDA pulling drugs because of bad side effects. Of course, it would take what seems like 10 + years of people dying before they could pin-point the actual cause.

So I opted for no Lupron, TAH, vertical incision. Still have my ovaries with none of the menopausal side effects that Lupron would bring on.

Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register