Hormonal sciatica | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormonal sciatica Hormonal sciatica

Unread 10-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Hormonal sciatica

Hi everyone I am almost 3 weeks post TLH apart from my cervix and I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please! One of the main reasons I had my op was to try and resolve 'hormonal sciatica' I was also found to have adenomyosis and endometriosis and my ovaries were attatched to my uterus & bladder. I have been doing really well recovery wise until yesterday when I had the most awful sciatica down my left leg and my left side hurt badly and my stomach was very sory and windy all day tmi, I have had quite a bit of low back pain when standing or walking too much but it was a bit of a shock to get the sciatica again (ive suffered with this for 10 years) It is still very sore today and I dont know whats going on! Is it too early to assume that the op hasnt helped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Re: Hormonal sciatica

Wow - we had TLHs the same day, for basically the same reasons - though I had my cervix removed as well. I was so worried that I'd get pain down my leg after, and so I'm ultra-sensitive to every twinge and ache. I think it's too early to know... I had an ovary removed several years ago in hopes of lessening some of my symptoms, and was told I wouldn't know until 5-6 months on whether it had done anything. I just remind myself right now that there's a lot of major healing taking place, bits and pieces getting back to normal, so I don't expect to know until all the healing is done (6 months on or so?). Sending you healing thoughts!
Unread 10-18-2011, 04:39 PM

Thanks for your reply Elspethsheir, I kinda thought it would be too soon to tell but at the moment I'm clutching at straws! Ive been off work since June with constant sciatica and to wake up after the op and not have it for 2.5 weeks, even with the other aches & pains was wonderful! Im just scared they havent checked the sciatic nerve for endo!!! xx Do you work. if so how long do you plan to have off? I work in catering which involves a fair bit of heavy lifting constant standing & walking so im not sure yet how long i'll need. I hope you're doing well and healing thoughts right back at you and all our other lovely sisters x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2011, 05:09 PM

You could be me! I hear you! The pain down my leg was always hardest to handle, and people would always assume I was having knee surgery or something because I'd walk so strangely. (I wasn't off work prior to, but I was on GnRH agonists and narcotic painkillers to stave off pain as long as possible.)

I do work - I teach, so standing, moving, the works. But I'm mentally ready to be back, and have my post-op appointment next week, with a plan to return the week after. It will be one day shy of 5 weeks on, and when I think that it's two weeks from now, it seems reasonable. The lifting worries me - that's my biggest concern right now. Well, that, and not falling asleep halfway through the day!

How is your energy level three weeks on? I find that I get uncomfortable if I sit for too long, and I ventured out for a long-ish walk today and felt great after. Just think, every day, we're one day closer to seeing how we'll be fully-recovered!
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM

Hi my energy levels are a lot better this week! I started driving again today and i feel quite sore to the left of my tummy button, I'm feeling a bit tired now as I've been on the go all morning- I had to take my eldest daughter to an ante natal appointment as she was due to have her baby on Sunday but he hasn't made an appearance yet!!! I go to physio on the 26th for a check and then I go for my post op Consultants check on the 7th November. I know within myself that I am nowhere near ready to return to work yet but I have another two weeks before my sick line runs out- its just the nature of my job very heavy, standing all day, rushing around all the time!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register