Starting Lupron ~ any tips? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Starting Lupron ~ any tips? Starting Lupron ~ any tips?

Unread 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Re: Starting Lupron ~ any tips?

MeghanM, dealing with kids is hard in and of itself at times, but when you're in pain? The fact that you're not snapping at him all of the time is a testament to your fortitude!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Took my first Lupron shot in Sep. That first 10 days the pain doubled and then...poof! Gone! I was having a period when I got the shot and then had another one 2 weeks later and haven't had a period since. No hot flashes thus far. The worst part for me has been the joint pain, especially my hips and knees and that started first part of October but Motrin keeps that in check. I didn't realize how bloated I was and how even my breathing and bowel habits were being affected until taking Lupron and seeing a huge difference--all for the better. My next shot is in Dec and the part that worries me the most is what next? I NEVER want to feel like I did this last summer and my doc says no to surgery because of my weight. I had minor mood swings and some fuzziness but right now, that has all gone away and I can say, this is the best I have felt in years!
Unread 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msputsey View Post
Took my first Lupron shot in Sep. That first 10 days the pain doubled and then...poof! Gone! I was having a period when I got the shot and then had another one 2 weeks later and haven't had a period since. No hot flashes thus far. The worst part for me has been the joint pain, especially my hips and knees and that started first part of October but Motrin keeps that in check. I didn't realize how bloated I was and how even my breathing and bowel habits were being affected until taking Lupron and seeing a huge difference--all for the better. My next shot is in Dec and the part that worries me the most is what next? I NEVER want to feel like I did this last summer and my doc says no to surgery because of my weight. I had minor mood swings and some fuzziness but right now, that has all gone away and I can say, this is the best I have felt in years!
I had my period when I had my first shot too. It was heavy and lasted about 10 days with more cramping than normal. I was hoping the shot would stop it. Silly me! My doc said Lupron can stimulate growth in the first couple of weeks and then the shrinking starts. At about day 11, the acne and mood swings spiked. I suspect that's when the Lupron went from stimulating estrogen to stopping it. I still have a squished bladder and get really winded (if not more so) because of everything pushing on my lungs. I'm looking forward to that going away.
Did your doc put you on any add back therapy? The pill is supposed to make the side effects less noticeable according to my doc.
I have a friend that needs a hysterectomy but can't because of her weight. That's just so wrong. She feels terrible because she needs one, so exercise is too much for her. It's a catch 22. Are you more able to exercise now that you feel so much better? I wonder if she should ask her doc to try Lupron to see if it makes her more able to do something about her weight so that she can have the surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2011, 06:36 PM

I am into month 2 of Lupron...The night sweats and hot flashes are INSANE!!!! My boyfriend wants to try and find a way to connect me to the furnace to heat the entire house. LOL He says it will help to offset the cost of the injection!
The first shot in Sept gave me 2 weeks that were "normal"(my doc had me continue on birth control for 2 weeks) and I only needed my nighttime super pads. Then I had a 3 week period that made me buy adult diapers. Good news is I have not had any bleeding for weeks plus at my last doc visit I was told that my uterus is no longer 14 week size!
Started with some headaches, fuzzy brain and emotional craziness now on top of the over active heating system. Gotta keep focused on the goal… shrink everything to allow me to get laparoscopic hyst instead of the monster vertical cut the doc was gonna do at first!

Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Starting Lupron ~ any tips?

I had the lupron in April to shrink fibroids and stop my heavy bleeding prior to a hysterectomy. I didn't have that many side effects other than some hot flashes but they weren't that bad. I did have night sweats but I still slept OK. I didn't get as depressed before surgery, but did have big trouble with depression after surgery.

I never did stop bleeding, but I did slow down and the fibroids did shrink enough to allow me to have a laproscopic procedure instead of open. I'm glad I did the lupron injections.
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Update - I'm going more and more crazy all the time. I've got that PMS frustration/anger thing, but much much worse. I can't stand myself! My husband told me to call my doc and ask for Welbutrin. That's an anti-depressant, so I have no idea how that would help. But it's bad enough that I actually did call. The nurse didn't sound hopeful. My doc is off today, so I probably won't hear back for a couple of days. Any ideas on how to restore my sanity??? I have 2 more shots to go. I can feel the fibroids and they're still huge. If I don't continue the lupron, I won't be able to have daVinci, and I'll have a huge abdominal incision. UGH!
Unread 11-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msputsey View Post
Do you know what dosage you are on? Doctor wanted me on 3.75, 1 x per month for 4 months. Then hopefully everything will shrink so I can have a vaginal hyst. I am terrified if these injections, the horror stories are abundant. I an really worried about the pain and nausea. I have a full time job, its the holidays, and I have my first grandchild due in a couple months. I can't be sick and non functional! I dont know what to do. Dr also told me I can't have progesterone to lower the effects because the fibroids will not react to the lupron as well. I am praying and praying but can't get a peace regarding this.
Unread 11-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanM View Post
Update - I'm going more and more crazy all the time. I've got that PMS frustration/anger thing, but much much worse. I can't stand myself! My husband told me to call my doc and ask for Welbutrin. That's an anti-depressant, so I have no idea how that would help. But it's bad enough that I actually did call. The nurse didn't sound hopeful. My doc is off today, so I probably won't hear back for a couple of days. Any ideas on how to restore my sanity??? I have 2 more shots to go. I can feel the fibroids and they're still huge. If I don't continue the lupron, I won't be able to have daVinci, and I'll have a huge abdominal incision. UGH!
First..a big hug. Second, you have to do what is best for you in every situation. This lupron will not get better with time. It gets harder. What is most important to you. Not having a scar or your sanity. Your family and YOU have to have a lot of patience. Regulating your thoughts and calming your emotions is important. Can you do it? You know that this site is here to support you. Hang in there.
Unread 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanM View Post
I have 2 more shots to go. I can feel the fibroids and they're still huge. If I don't continue the lupron, I won't be able to have daVinci, and I'll have a huge abdominal incision. UGH!
For me, what it would come down to would be choosing between having an incision and being functional until the surgery. I would always fall on the latter--there is no way anyone other than my family will see this belly, so I don't much care about that.
Unread 11-14-2011, 12:54 PM

I don't care about the incision for the most part. It does bother me that it'll that it'll look like a c-section scar. I couldn't have kids because I was born with a defective uterus. (Unicornuate - only half developed) This whole thing is an awful reminder of what I've been through and a c-section scar is not appealing to me from that standpoint. It's basically insult to injury. But I could live with that if I had to.
The thing I care about most is my 2 year old son (adopted obviously). I am very active with him. I climb, wrestle, pick him up, jump around, sit with him on my lap, etc. I waited a very long time to be a mom and get to do all of this stuff. I want to be able to do that stuff as soon as possible after surgery. I don't want to tell him that I can't. That's the whole reason that I'm putting myself through all of this.
I am starting to wonder if it's worth it, but now I'm going into my busy season at work. December is killer and I can't miss a second. January isn't bad, but February through April 15th are insane. If I don't do robotic and get back to work as quickly as possible, it'll be a serious financial hit. Much more so than if I had done it last month and got back to normal by December.
I just can't wait for this whole thing to be over. Is it next summer yet?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register