Scheduled SAH last minute cancellation thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

last minute cancellation thoughts last minute cancellation thoughts

Unread 10-19-2011, 10:56 AM
last minute cancellation thoughts

My partial hysterectomy is one week away for fibroid,endometriosis and severe pain during periods. I was very persistant with my doctor that i wanted hysterectomy and felt really good about my decision. I am 48 and have never tried anything for these problems other than pain medicine which doesn't seem to work anymore. I always thought the only other treatment there was was hormones and that i was to old for that. I only recently realized their is other options and now my surgery is a week away and scared and nervous that i am making a mistake. They are going to remove endo implants and uterus but i read that this does not cure endo. Has anyone ever cancelled hysterectomy a week before and asked their doctor to do less invasive surgery? I'm worried to ask her. Has anyone had success for endo with this surgery. I felt so confident before i did research now i don't feel ready and confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Re: last minute cancellation thoughts

Hi there...
I can' t really answer many your questions but I can answer one. If you want to cancel or post-pone the surgery, until you have more information, it is your call. You have total control over the decisions on what is to be done to your body...and no one can force you to do it if you have a change of heart. Speak with your doc. Don't be afraid. That is what he/she is there for.

Good luck on any decision you make :-)
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Dear missbell,

You must be completely....100%.... sure that this is what you want to do. Most women have this surgery and have no lasting complications. However, there are some who do have lasting complications and who wish they had never had surgery. It's your decision and your doctor will respect that. My suggestion is to wait. Do some more research and only have this operation if you are 100% convinced that this is what you want to do.

I am one who cancelled my surgery a week or so before it was scheduled. I eventually had the hysterectomy but at least I was at peace with my decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 12:41 PM

Definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns and either cancel or postpone your surgery until all of your questions are answered.
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. My doctor won't be in until friday and i am going to call her with my concerns.
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:12 PM

Cancelling is your call, how ever, I am two weeks post and had same thoughts of canceling, I have seen many women have thoughts of canceling right before surgery for this reason or that. I think it is common.
But on the other hand, you have been suffering in pain from all of that for how long?
I had endo for eleven years and this year it has gotten worse, even over years it has. I have been on narcotics for two years now and in and out of ers because my pain had gotten so bad at times even on the narcotics. I was so done suffering, and even though hyster is NOT a cure for endo. I figure if I take cervix and uterus out I will at least have no periods and not suffer as bad. If anything. Another decision helped me was that I have tried and done most therapies and treatments out there more then once, I have been on depo lupron, lupron depo, birth control pills, narcotics, physical therapy, laser therapy, 3 laporoscopies, anti depressants, trigger point injections on belley. And more. I have done those many times and still no reilef.So for me, I was way done and thought it was and is atleast a shot.
I wish you luck in your decision. Let us know what you decide. It is a huge decision. Do you have kids? Do you want? I have two, wanted another but my medical was killing me and who knows if I was even able to have another one.
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Thank you for your input it really helps. I am done having children so that is not a concern. I am so confused. Surgery is three days away. I will keep you posted on my decision. Still soul searching. Thanks
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Please cancel if you are not 100% sure, you can always reschedule. For the best outcome, you need to be 100% onboard with your DR.

I don't know exactly why, but when my 2nd opinion DR made her suggestions it just clicked with me. I knew in both my heart and head it was the best thing to do. I've never looked back.

My wish for you is that you feel the same way.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:56 AM

You can always reschedule, but you can't undo if you aren't sure, if you think you have options you haven't tried, wait, postpone, regroup, get more opinions and options. Regrets over surgery are painful and you want to really be sure going in, so you won't have regrets. You dont owe it to your Dr to have surgery. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:31 AM

I would cancel the surgery unless you are 100% sure. I am one of those who has had complications and problems ever since. The only thing I know is that I was 100% sure and would still make that decision again. It was not successful for me with the endometriosis. SO you really want to be sure. You can always decide later you want to do it but you can't undo it. I have seen some women who had problems and weren't sure to begin with and they beat themselves up over not waiting. I would talk to your doc about your concerns and ask if there is less invasive solutions to this. Good luck and sending lots of

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register