Lupron prescription | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron prescription Lupron prescription

Unread 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Lupron prescription

Greetings: I have two months to wait till surgery, and I am anemic (5.6) now I'm (8) hemo. Since I still have two more months to wait and who knows how many heavy periods till then; my doc is thinking of prescribing Lupron for the bleeding so I can continue to build the iron up in my blood. My question is: has anyone else used this medication and just how expensive is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Re: Lupron prescription

Hi Shezilla

I am new here as well. I took my first Lupron shot injection on September 29, and I paid $900 with insurance (3 month shot). Just called my doctor today, I am taking it to stop my periods and build up my iron and my period started yesterday and is just as heavy as it has been in the past.
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:55 PM

I have used it four times. The last one I got was a cheaper version of it, it was 2371.00 i believe or 2731.00 !! OUCH my insurance covered all but a buck becuase I am on state insurance, other wise I would have never been able to get it.
The first two times I used it didn't really work for pain except It wasnt as bad as no periods. But tons of hot flashes.
The last one i had was in july of this year. I am taking 5mg add back with it which you will want if you take it, it reduces hot flashes. I love this pill. I am still taking it every night becuase it does not run out of my body till the end of October. I had a really bad reaction to it at the two month mark, ( I got the three month shot) and my bones and muscles hurt so bad I had to use narcotics for the pain. I just thought I had really bad flu. NOPE. And I also did start bleeding during the two month and bled for four weeks. So it did not work for me this time around except for shrinking the endo or whatever.
I would def. look at all side effects and speak with your doc about it. It can be very helpfull for people and some not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:04 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that, I'm going to ask the nurse when they call back about the prescription if they have any other suggestions. It seems about a 50-50 chance that taking it will even do the job. I hope everything works out well and soon we won't have to put up with that any more! Maybe we can eat lots of raw spinach! Pardon the humor, seriously; hang in there and thank you for your help!
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Thank you! I am definitely going to look closely at it's usefullness. And the side effects. I'ts unbelievable how the cost is on some prescriptions. I feel like I've kept my head in the sand for a long time.
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:10 PM

I didnt mention the cost - would have cost me about $ 2200 AFTER insurance paid their part!

That is actually the price that my surgery cost me out of pocket after insurance. And I know that surgery took care of the problem!
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:15 PM

I just rememberes that there was a medication that I took while I was waiting for surgery after everything else failed and I decided against Lupron.

It stopped my bleeding like turning off a faucet - no side effects for me.

With the no bleeding and the iron pills my cound went from 7 to 10.4 pre surgery.

Thinking as to what it was.....

Got it! LYSTEDA !!

It was a miracle for me - ask your doctor
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:11 PM

I started my first Lupron Shot on September 30 in hopes of stopping my bleeding and shrinking my uterus and Fibroid(s) prior to surgery in December. I go next Thursday for the second shot. It is costing just under $400 per shot in Manitoba Canada.
Not sure about the side effects yet... hot flashes seem to be all for now. I will let you know!

P.S. My doc warned me that I would have a "final period" after starting the shot... I have been bleeding more on then off for the last 3 weeks!
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:44 AM

I had Lupron treatment twice, the first time was for 7 consecutive months which did nothing but stop my periods and the second time was 8 consecutive months, all of the issues came back ten fold, heavy periods, large clots, harsh abdominal pain from endo and pcos.

The cost per shot was $493.00 in Nova Scotia Canada, but my medical covered almost all of the cost.

Over all I was no better off with of without the Lupron, but this is just my experience, everyone is different.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register