Hyster at young age, and really depressed! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyster at young age, and really depressed! Hyster at young age, and really depressed!

Unread 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Hyster at young age, and really depressed!

Hi, my name is Angie, I am 29. I am having a hysterectomy in a few weeks, and I have fallen into a depression. I am scared that this is only going to worsen after the surgery. I need help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Re: Hyster at young age, and really depressed!

Hi sweetie. I am 29 just had a lavh on Monday. October 3rd. Can I ask why you are having one? do you have kids? Are you wanting kids or sad about kids? What are the exact issues going on with you?
I had endo for eleven years and other stuff. I have two kids but wanted another one and know medically this was more important for my quality of life and for my family.
There are no gaurantees from a hyster. So I guess answer me about why you are doing this so I can try to help.
I will say most of us are sad or depressed about having to have one even if we want one. I was happy I finally found a doc that would do it. But I still got sad. And I ws told by doc this is not a gaurantee pain relief and nothing is gauranteed. Every one is different. But for me it was worth a shot.
Do you have family? Boy friend or husband or anyone you can lean on to talk to ? You have us!! And maybe support for you to help you through this at home?
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:34 PM

I had surgery in July for endo, I was hoping the pain would stop after, but it hasn't. I found out that I may have adenomyosis also, and the pain I go through is almost unbearable.
I had 4 kids with my ex husband, now I have found my soulmate, and we talked about having a baby after my endo surgery, but my uterus is so big and bulky, and the spasms I get are not just around my period, but almost everyday. I am thankful that my new hubby loves my children as his own, I just feel that I wasn't done, I really wanted one more. I'm scared that I'll go through early menopause. Will my quality of life be better? Or worse? So many thoughts run through my head, I feel right now that I'll feel like less of a woman...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 07:59 PM

The kids i have are not my new husbands either. I wanted another also, but like you medically this was more important and needed to happen. My pain was so bad I have been unable to work and sometimes have not been able to interact with my own kids like playing and going parks and all that. So...I kept ovaries becuase for many reasons. 1- surgical hrt is bad and hrt cannot flucuate hormones if your body needs more or less at the moment. 2- Endo can find its own source of estrogen even if your ovaries are out 3- ovaries are not always the cause of pain 4- if i need to ggo back in a few years cuz ovaries are causing bad unbearable pain again the surgery to remove them is very small procedure just a lap. 5- heat disease runs in my family and without ovaries you have increased risk of heart disease, you also have increased risk of heart disease once youve been on hrt for four or five or something years straight. 6- the risk of getting heart disease is greater then getting uterine cancer or ovarian cancer or breast cancer. 6- I am depression prone 7- My sex life would not be interfeared with as much.
so its really a personal decision to leave or take. My gyn wanted me to take mine due to pain, but I know I have all those options above. And my ovaries yes have had some endo and cysts but they are healthy and look good. I had decided day of lavh that morning at er to tell her, you will have same opportunity, tell your gyn ur not sure and if you can tell then ritght before surgery if you want to keep them or take them out. Also, I had told my gyn if one looks damaged you can take it out or if they both look toast you can take them but we are trying to save them. I knew my pros and cons and possibilites.
Good luck with your decision. Endo can come back even with ovaries out also just to remind you. And endo can also come back after hysterectomy if it is not all taken out, and some endo can be microscopic. I have fully known that this hyster was not a gauranteed pain relief or fix. For some it can be others it can be for years and others not. I am only two weeks out so I am not sure yet what category I fall in. But I am hoping I am helping you in some way at all?
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM

I'm sorry you're so sad. I have one child and always wanted to have more. I have had a very hard time emotionally dealing with my surgery. I miss being fertile, I miss my periods. I like being a girly girl and removing my reproductive organs doesn't really go along with that. This was never supposed to happen to me and sometime I'm still shocked that I actually went through with it. But my quality of life was suffering so much that I needed to do something. Life sometimes takes us on a much different path than we expected. We must be strong women and rise to the occasion because the ones who love us deserve to have us healthy and happy. I wish you the best and don't worry you will come out stronger and better for it.
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM

Thank you TheMissStarlett, and SugarandSpice for your words of encouragement! Even though I'm still scared to death, I don't feel quite so alone in this. My husband is very supportive in this,and easy to talk to, but its still not quite the same as talking to those who've gone through this. I admit I am quite the girlie girl too, and one of my concerns is that I will feel...."different," less womanly I guess you could say. Did either of you feel that way after?
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:13 PM

One of the first things I thought when I woke up in the hospital was "I don't feel any different". I was lucky to have my surgery vaginally so I have no incision in my tummy and that makes it easier for me to pretend I didn't do it. I do feel a little different and I'm sad but it's getting less and less. It's a state of mind and I'm working hard to keep a positive state of mind. I have a friend who recently died of breast cancer. A couple years ago she had a miscarriage and hemorrhaged so had an emergency hysterectomy. She must have grieved deeply about this but always stayed positive and happy and a generous, giving friend. She is my inspiration. If she can handle that situation with such grace, the least I can do is my very best :-)
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:38 PM

I dont feel any different. Hey, we can still be girly girls but not have to deal with the gross periods!! How about that!! LOL. I was worried about it too. But hey, no one can tell from the outside our inside is gone, and we are def. girls if our boobs are still there!!! LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register