cervix or no cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervix or no cervix cervix or no cervix

Unread 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM
cervix or no cervix

Met with my doc today and am scheduling Hyst in Dec. I have to choose whether to keep or remove my cervix. I'm not sure what to do.

Suggestions, experiences, thoughts?

I'm worried about libido and "limitations"

Thanks ladies!
Ginger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Re: cervix or no cervix

What "limitations" are you referring to?

I had a total hysterectomy almost ten years ago (included removal of the cervix). I don't miss the cervix one bit. The healthy vagina is a remarkably stretchy bit of tissue which can accomodate much larger things (for example, during a vaginal delivery) than anything it might encounter during intercourse with another human.

The cervix also has absolutely nothing to do with libido, which is determined by hormone levels - related to ovarian hormone production. If your ovaries are removed, it can be an issue unless you are able to find HRTs that replace what you have lost; even if you keep your ovaries, removing the uterus can cause them to shut down temporarily or permanently, depending on how much of their blood supply they get from the ovarian artery (there is a lot of individual variation).

Why are you having the surgery? That can be a big factor in deciding whether or not the cervix can or should stay.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:49 PM

I think it mostly depends in how healthy your cervix is. Mine was not healthy so I had to remove it. There is no change in libido since my surgery and no change in lubrication. I notice no difference in the length of my vagina and my DH notices no difference in the way sex feels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM

I am having an LSH BSO on Monday and my doctor and I have discussed this. He is of the belief that keeping the cervix-as long as it is healthy-gives continued support to the pelvic floor. I do a lot of lifting and this was a question I had for him. I told him that I only wanted things removed that would be a "normal loss" after menopause. So we are keeping my cervix.
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM

I asked about this today at my dr visit... she said it helped to hold together the pelvic structure, but as far as sexual function, there is great debate... one cant compare one womans sexual experience to anothers... I have made the choice to take my cervix during my hysterectomy.... I dont want to undergo another gynecological surgery down the road. I had an hpv positive result last week.. me and 80% of the population... the odds of acquiring cervical cancer arent worth bartering for the chance of better sexual function... its going. Best of luck in your decision sweetie <3
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:06 PM

I have never had an abnormal pap smear, so we're keeping my cervix. I'm having an LSH and BSO.
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Thank you ladies! I have endo that was removed in March and quickly returned along with fibroids - The pain isnt worth it any longer. We also discussed going the Lupron route, however I believe it will eventually come back - so instead of going thru menopause now with 50% chance it may return, I say take it all out!

I was undecided about my cervix, but now I'm thinking I dont need it -

Thank you so much for your help!
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM

Ginger, I too was concerned about my sexual life after hysterectomy esp if they took my cervix. I did a lot of research with published studies, responses on this website and many others, and asked about 10 personal friends with and without their cervix.
No one had any sexual issues either way. The cervix is a continuous piece of the uterus and I choose to have it removed d/t the research I read. Also, one of my friends initially left her cervix in and was having some problems after surgery. They had to go back in to remove her cervix.
If you decide to keep your cervix and do develop difficulties in the future the surgery can be more difficult to remove the small stump of the cervix that is left. Also there may be more adhesions to the bladder or bowel. It's a bit more risky of a procedure to remove the cervix stump and injuring the ureters, bladder,bowel at a later time. Many people do not consider this during their decision. I did not come across the percentage of people having difficulties if leaving in the cervix but I presume it is a small percentage.
Hope this helps some... good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register