Trying to get myself together! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trying to get myself together! Trying to get myself together!

Unread 10-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Trying to get myself together!

Surgery this week,what should I pack? From reading the posts it looks like a two or three day stay, I don't want to take a ton of stuff that I don't need - any ideas ? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Re: Trying to get myself together!

The only things I used in the hospital were my toothbrush, fluffy socks, chapstick, my iPhone and some warm pajamas to wear on the ride home. The one thing I wished I had packed: my heating pad. You will also need a pillow for the car ride home. Wishing you a good surgery and recovery.
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:21 PM

Here's what I'm taking...

1. pillow pet
2. chapstick
3. grooming supplies
4. ear plugs
5. notebook and pen
6. non slip slippers
7. puzzle book
8. 2 sets of loose baggy clothes for sleeping and walking
9. hard candies
10. underwear (hate the hospital ones)

That's my list I've gathered from suggestions on other threads. It all fits in a small bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Thank you so much! Gosh you are way more together than I am.
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:59 PM

Wow, I took "grooming supplies", Iphone and charger, and loose fitting clothes to come home in. Oh, and slippers, as the Pre-Op nurse said "Do not assume when you go for a walk in the hall that is just water on the floor".

I slept lots, and did not feel like doing much else. Our hospital does private rooms only, which is a bonus. They also have a woman's volunteer group that makes and donates the little tummy pillows. It is good to have one, so take something. I was never feeling like "getting dressed" to go walk, so I just put a second hospital nightgown on backwards so it covered my bare butt. A robe might have been nice, but hard to put on with an IV.

My stay was 2 nights after Hyst, and 3 nights after Ureter repair.
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Hey Freakedout51!

There was a similar post a few days ago and a number of women said they didn't bother with their own PJ's - too much effort to change and it's easier for hospital staff if you use the gowns they provide.

I have long hair and plan on washing and braiding it the day of surgery and it should be fine until I get home. I plan on wearing the same comfy clothes to and from the hospital.

I plan on taking my phone, a book or 2, notepad & pen, my own underwear & pads, slippers, maybe my robe, comb, a tummy pillow and my perfect pocket tummy binder (just ordered it and should arrive next week )
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:49 PM

I stayed overnight, and personallly, I did not want to bring a whole bunch of stuff there to have to remember to bring home or have to deal with loading. I only brought toothbrush and deodarant.
I did wear comfy sweats I could go right back home in, and I did end up taking a shower there so I would suggest getting travel size shamoos conditioner and soap so if you loose it no biggie. Unless you wana use the stuff they have there to shower with. ITs not the best
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:36 PM

I, too, am packing lightly. Wearing Hospital gowns, in case of accidents, saving my pretty nighties for when I get home. I have a bag packed, just in case, and my hubby will bring if I request it. Pack as lightly as possible, as you have to drag it all home!! A real must is 'music you like to listen to' as it calms and soothes you. And if you have a noisy roommate it helps here too!! Slippers are an absolute must, you don't want to walk barefoot on hospital floors!! I have learned from previous surgeries, less is better. YOU really don't need much, if you are only staying a night or two. GOOD LUCK
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the tips, I have my little bag packed. Tomorrow will be here in no time, so glad I found this site, Thanks again
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM

i'm briniging a cauldron of halloween candies for the nurses. (my sister is a nurse, she said they'll LOVE me.) lol.

i gotta get my backpack packed too! i'm packing lite since i'm only staying 1night.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register