More HRT or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More HRT or not? More HRT or not?

Unread 10-22-2011, 09:21 AM
More HRT or not?

Hello,I'm really concerned since being told the HRT implant I have been on for 4 years has been stopped in UK..when I searched and searched for reasons, I found out it was 'outlawed' in the US in a BBC news report dated 2000! I was horrifed to find this out as a few treatments I have had have been taken off of the market....Marvelon, co-proxamol and now the HRT Implant!I am 39 next month and would have been due another implant on the 1st...I do not know what to do for the best..HRT tablet again (as the patches and gel dont agree with me) or try the herbal route?To top all that I had an abdominal ultrasound yesterday and a few comments the lady made have me worried. She was really going for it on my liver and kidneys...I might just be paranoid as my aunty who also had hysterectomy has just been diagnosed stage 4 kidney cancer.I am lucky to have a beautiful daughter and thought my days of being ill were over but feel so tired all the time?Anyway any advice on HRT would be most welcome and I hope ur all having a pain free day :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Re: More HRT or not?

Hi (((lissy93)))

Have you talked with your DR about your options yet? MSD did take their estradiol implants off the market in the UK, but it was for purely economic reasons. They were not selling enough of them to justify the fairly high cost of manufacturing them.

http://www.mims.co.uk/news/1087571

Estradiol implants have not been outlawed in the US - there are several manufacturers as well as compounded versions - but there is some controversy over whether or not it is enough that the raw ingredients are FDA approved when the final product(s) may not be.

You mentioned that patches and gel did not agree with you... why? Which one(s) did you try?

The closest delivery form I can think of to the implants would be something like Progynon Depot, which is an injection of estradiol valerate. (There are also other brands.) Would your DR try that with you?

Please try not to worry about the ultrasound just yet... the tech is of course not permitted to tell you anything about what she saw, and she may have just been being super cautious given your family history (which would be a good thing). I hope you will get the results back quickly and that all is well!

s,
-Linda

(PS co-proxamol is the same drug as Darvocet in the US, and it was pulled from the market here earlier this year because one of its ingredients, propxyphene (US brand name Darvon) was found to cause heart arrhythmias in some patients; Marvelon (desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol birth control tablets) were not discontinued but were the subject of some manufacturing shortages in the UK at one time; they are still available as generic and many other brand names).
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:43 AM
More HRT or not?

Wow...lots of information, thank you very much. I will speak to my Doctor and see what he says. I don't know whether to just go back on Premarin (I was on that before he put me on implants). The patches I tried (cannot remember the name) didn't agree with my skin and neither did the gel. I was doing ok on Premarin (think that's how it's spelt), so my results are clear I might do that.
Thanks again for the info, I will look into the injection. I saw a bbc news report on the internet when i googled 'hrt implant banned in the US?'
take care
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Re: More HRT or not?

I just checked out that news report. I understand it now. "Outlawed" is a very strong word... they are still available here under many brands. Not all DRs will prescribe them, though, because they are not "officially" FDA approved (though the active ingredients in them are), in exactly the same way that some DRs here will not prescribe compounded creams or capsules/tablets, because the final product is not FDA approved (though the ingredients are).

Hope that clears it up.

BTW there is a lot of difference among the different patches as far as skin irritation goes. If you did not try it before, you might want to ask for some samples of Estradot (that is called "Vivelle-dot" in the US) and give it a try.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:05 PM
More HRT or not?

That's another one to add to the list when I see the doctor.
Many, many thanks.
This site is brilliant.
Lots of hugs.x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register