Scheduled TAH I started my period 4 days before surgery!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I started my period 4 days before surgery!! I started my period 4 days before surgery!!

Unread 10-22-2011, 03:13 PM
I started my period 4 days before surgery!!

It's the weekend so I can't call my doctor but does anyone know if my surgery would be delayed if I have started my period, AGAIN? Now that it is this close, I'm just ready to get it over with. I'm also anemic and have been on iron. Now I am worried that my hemo has dropped again. NO ENERGY!! It was 8. Also, does anyone know how high it needs to be before surgery? I forgot to ask at my pre op what it was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Re: I started my period 4 days before surgery!!

Wow - good question.

I'm 3 weeks out and expect to have my final period a week before. I too have had low iron counts and am taking supplements as a precaution.

I suspect with all the bleeding issues most of us seem to deal with, this is not uncommon, but I'm curious to hear the answers, too.
Unread 10-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Seems like I saw something about how it doesn't matter. Best to ask your doctor. I'll need to know myself because that'll be my luck too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 04:10 PM

guess what? me too. i've been assuming it's fine b/c i know some women are bleeding all the time....
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:33 PM

My doctor said at least 10 before he would feel comfortable doing the surgery.
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Found this: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96909.htm

"This is usually not a problem and rarely is a surgery cancelled because of a menstruating patient.

Head to your scheduled appointment for check-in at the hospital wearing a pad. Usually the nurse will provide guidance. Sometimes mesh panties are provided that will be removed once you are in the OR.

Sometimes they will have you prepare for surgery as normal, removing your clothes and putting on the hospital gown and placing a pad under you when you get onto the gurney (hospital bed).

When you wake up, you will have another pad under you, be provided disposable panties and you will be probably bleed/spot for a week or so post-op from the surgery.

Menstruating during your surgery? Most surgeons do not consider this a problem.

If in doubt, call the doctor's office. The surgeon's office nurse will put your mind at ease."
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:38 PM

That's what I was thinking..Im at 8 so I wonder if I will have a transfusion prior. I haven't been able to get passed 8 in the last 6 weeks.
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:47 PM

I had my period for almost 2 months (no stopping) right to the day of my surgery. Was also anemic. I went into the operating room with a pad on. Everything went fine but I would let the Dr. know.
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:34 PM

I too am anemic and worried since I'm heading in for surgery Nov 7th. I am told by my doctor is my iron is not up in time a blood tranfusion will be done. They just try to avoid this when possible.
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:20 PM

I am also very slightly anemic. I will be having my period a couple of days before surgery....I am thinking it will be on the day I do my bowel prep
I bleed HEAVILY on the 1st two days, so i am concerned about how this will affect surgery. I will call the surgeon on monday to let him know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register