Scheduled LAVH Pain, bleeding, worried about surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain, bleeding, worried about surgery Pain, bleeding, worried about surgery

Unread 10-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Re: Pain, bleeding, worried about surgery

I have it and I'm bringing it with me tomorrow. Approval for tomorrow's proceedures and approval for the surgery on 11/15. I also have my approvals and authorizations for all prior appointments, just in case I'm told there's a balance I need to pay before tomorrow's tests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2011, 05:52 PM

That's the ticket! Good luck tomorrow!
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Re: Pain, bleeding, worried about surgery - Update 10/27

Pre-op went pretty well. I met today with a hematological oncologist to talk about the clots I had in the past and how we are proceeding after the surgery (2 x shots in belly per day for six weeks, post surgery) and then I was off for an ultrasound of my legs to check for any new clots prior to surgery. Apparently the clots I had in 2009 were a fluke, as my veins look as if I never had any clots!

Then it was on to see the doctor one last time where I got my instructions for diet and bowel prep prior to surgery. Yes, I need to do both prep and the liquid diet.

He had also given me the two prescriptions so I can have them done - and I ended up leaving them there. I will need to contact the doctor's nurse tomorrow and let her know so they can mail them to me so I can fill them prior to the day of surgery.

Other than that, its now the waiting game between now and my November 15 surgery. Now I just hope it doesn't snow before then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2011, 08:27 PM

I also did liquid diet and bowl prep. I think they go hand-in-hand.

For me, the bowel prep was not as bad as I imagined. But, you do need to stay close to a bathroom. Make sure you are home when you start it.

Good luck, and hugs to you...
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:44 AM

I have no problems with the bowel prep and staying close to a bathroom. As someone with the occassional nasty bowel problems I know the importance of staying near a bathroom. I also have some baby wipes for when my bottom becomes too sore to wipe with paper.
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Sounds like you are prepared. It is just one more step in the process...

(((Hug)))
Unread 10-29-2011, 02:46 PM

I know. Good news is I also know about how we are managing pain after surgery. Since morphine doesn't work for me, and I've had a good track record with the Dilaudid, we are going to use that after surgery for pain. I also have a prescription filled for Toradol for post-pain management at home. I already have high-dose Ibuprofen, as well as a lower dose OTC variant of the same.

Only other thing I'm going to be on after surgery is the anti clotting medication. Considering I don't regulate well on Coumatin, the doctor opted for the shots 2x day for six weeks. By the time I go for my post op my tummy is going to look like a big 'connect-the-dots' picture.

Its also going to be fun giving myself shots while recovering from surgery. Good news is I have very few restrictions post surgery as we have already discussed when I can drive, take stairs, etc. and his response was 'as soon as I feel up to it'.
Unread 11-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Well, surgery appears to be a definate go on Tuesday. I just need to call on Monday between 1 and 3 pm and find out my time. (trust me I'm calling as close to that 1 pm time as I can...)

Ready for the bowel prep and everything that needs to be done on Monday.

I'm trying to keep myself mentally positive, but on Monday while the magnesium citrate is 'working its magic' I'll also be worrying about one of my very good friends who was just scheduled for brain surgery on Monday afternoon to remove a cancerous tumor (apparently her breast cancer metastisised). Definately not something I needed before hand, but life isn't on a schedule.
Unread 11-12-2011, 03:46 PM

I am a lifetime Coumadin taker because of clots. You might want to check with insurance on the injections, assuming they are Lovanox or the like. My insurance has a lifetime max on the injections that cannot exceed 40 days total. I discovered this by accident, so now I will stay an extra day after surgery on Nov. 30. I can send a letter but there is no guarantee the injections will be covered so iv.meds and Coumadin seem to be the only option. I would call just to make sure.
Unread 11-12-2011, 04:58 PM

I counted the injections - there are only 36 days worth. I was told by my counselor at Vacational Rehab that they will pay for whatever the doctors say I need. And I have a copy of the paperwork they sent to the pharmacy saying they would pay for it.

I wasn't too happy having to go the route I did for the surgery, but I had lost my job just as it was originally scheduled in April and then my old doctor canceled my surgery, and refused to reschedule it. (I don't have kids and under 50 - so I wasn't a candidate to get the State's medicaid program to pay for it.)

So I ended up looking for another doctor, and found one several hours away from home at UNC Chapel Hill (its a state-funded hospital system in NC) who would take the Vocational Rehab. It was a little touch and go there for a while - especially with the billing department who kept trying to remove "Vocational Rehabilitation" as the payor because for some reason hysterectomy and rehabilitation didn't seem to go together in their book. But Vocational Rehab was able to clear everything up.

I'm just happy I was able to find some help - I even have a copy of the authorization they sent in saying that they were paying for the surgery on the 15th. The last thing I need is to get there and have someone say 'how are you going to pay for this?'

So, for me its all good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register