Got to thinking... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got to thinking... Got to thinking...

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Got to thinking...

from one of the threads I just read here. I am having a LSH and BSO on November 21st. I have been thinking that this isn't going to be a big deal, pain wise and recovery wise. Am I being naive? Realistically, what will I be able to do after the surgery? What kinds of things should I have ready to take to the hospital and have at home? My doctor is awesome, but he made it sound like this wouldn't be any big deal! Was he trying to make me feel better, lol?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Re: Got to thinking...

Also, does everyone have to have a bowel prep? I'm almost afraid to ask what that is...lol.
Unread 10-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Everyone is different in how they heal and how long it takes to heal. However, this is MAJOR SURGERY. An internal organ is being removed, and you will have countless internal stitches. Even if it is an LSH BSO, it will take some time to heal from this. You will most likely have lifting restrictions - probably 10 lbs for six weeks, you will have driving restrictions, you may have movement restrictions. You will need help at home, and you should not consider house cleaning for some time. You will probably experience extreme fatigue for a while.

For the hospital, it really depends mostly on what you want to take. This site does have some suggestions. In addition, based on other sister experiences, the site compiled a must have list for at home. I personally needed a book, TV remote close by, a pillow for protection for cat jumping scenarios, loose fitting comfy clothes, and slippers.

Regarding bowel prep, I had to do one but not everyone does. It is doctor preference, and is also probably procedure related.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Hugs to you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2011, 12:07 AM

Hello! I agaree with Marestail with everything! It is major surgery. You will be VERY tired, for a long time. I still am! I am just about back to normal in everything else.

You will be unable to do certain things like vacuum, rake leaves, shovel snow (not sure where you live) because of the stretching and pulling involved with those specific tasks. No lifting, my limit was five pounds. My family still thinks I can't carry the laundry! You will most likely be housebound for about two weeks. I couldn't drive for four weeks, but each doctor is different on that one.

By housebound, I mean you will need to be careful of stairs, and getting into and out of a car, as that will probably be painful. I would go out and sit on my patio, as there were no stairs, and it was nice. But getting into a car was too hard.

I did not have much pain after my surgery. I was sore the first two days, but nothing awful. I had more pain with my periods than after my surgery! I was able to just take motrin for the pain.

Had my stuff near me on the couch - remote, telephone, water bottle, book, blanket, stuff like that.

As far as bowel prep, every doctor has their own, if any. I had one, it wasn't horrible. It was just one day out of my life.

Best wishes on your surgery!
Unread 10-23-2011, 02:12 AM

I expect it to be a lot like my c section recovery, my doc says if it hurts even a little dont do it (walking, peeing, and pooping are the exception). I do NOT have to do a liquid diet or bowel prep. Good luck.
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks everyone! So I think I was being a little naive! I plan on going back to work after three weeks. I am a teacher so fortunately I will just have to be at work for a little over a week then I'll have two more weeks off.

I have a friend who had the same procedure I'm having and she has told me I will be extremely tired for a long time. I plan on doing as little as I have to those three weeks!
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:45 AM

I had an LSH BSO August 9. I was very fortunate to have an easy recovery. The pain was easily treated with Motrin, I was not tired all the time though I did force myself to rest.

At my 2 week checkup the dr lifted all restrictions. Said I could do whatever I wanted to do,but if there was any pain to stop and try it again in a few days.

Was back to life as normal after a month.

My suggestions to you are listen to your body. It will tell you when you need to rest. But don't just lay in bed - get up, walk as much as feels right to you (you will know when it's enough). I was told steps were ok but slowly

Everyone is different, everyone's recovery is different. So listen to what your body is telling you.

Also an LSH is the least invasive form of a hyster, but as my doctor reminded me it's major surgery with small incisions,not small surgery.

Good luck.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Visiting the post op forum will give you a better idea of what to expect as you recover. Expect to do prety much nothing for at least a week. I returned to work after 8 weeks. As for comparing the hysterectomy to a c section, ladies have been posting that they are not the same at all. One lady said it was like comparing a refrigerator to an apple... Ask your doctor beforehand very specifically what your limitations will be on bending, driving, lifting and housework. I found out 3 weeks post op that I wasn't supposed to bend over at all!
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:28 PM

I am having the DaVinci and they will be taking uterus and cervix out vaginally, as for the rest inside they wont know till they get in there~~ I had 2 C-Sections,and a tubal,so there could be scaring
and I DO have to do the dreaded bowel prep,they have me taking 4 dulcolax tabs at 3 pm day before surgery, then 64 oz of crystal light lemonade mixed with 8 oz of mirolax powder, and drink 8 oz every 15 minutes. cant be any worse than the yucky stuff they give you for a colonoscopy.. clear liquids after 8 am the day before and nothing after midnight..
I will get a detailed post op discharge, so the DH can see what I can and cannot do..
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:40 PM

And you may feel great for a few days in a row, then all of a sudden be slapped with fatigue and just need to sleep all day. That is normal...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register