It's too late to change my mind -- but I WANT to! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's too late to change my mind -- but I WANT to! It's too late to change my mind -- but I WANT to!

Unread 12-18-2001, 07:26 AM
It's too late to change my mind -- but I WANT to!

I am scheduled for my TAH on 12/20. I had finally not only RESIGNED myself to it, but was actually looking forward to it.

Now, I run into a coworker who tells me she had an LSH for essentially the same problems that I have, and had only 3 weeks recovery time (out of work time).

I WANT ONE, now!! But my doc tells me the TAH is better for me (is that probably because that's all he knows how to do), because he wants to explore. My coworker tells me they can explore with an LSH.

Other (quite major) problem is that I know my insurance (HMO) will NOT pay for an LSH. I live in a town with a laser surgery center where they do LSH's, so it's just being rubbed in my face.

My doc is hesitant to let me put off my TAH any longer (I tried to get a delay until summer, and he acted like I shouldn't).

What I need from you ladies is reassurance that, other than the LENGTH of my recovery from TAH, TAH isn't any more risky. AND, if possible, I'd like to hear some of the reasons why an LSH would be NOT indicated for people -- maybe my doc REALLY knows that it wouldn't be right for me?

Doubt, late in the game, really messes you up...
Martha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2001, 07:36 AM

Martha,
Perhaps if you are unclear you should get a second opinion. As long as you are not having surgery for anything life threatening, it is never too late to back out. I would rather take the time to be completely at rest with your decision. What is the reason for your hysterectomy?
Why would your insurance not cover the LSH procedure? I am not completely sure what that stands for but I am thinking it is less invasive. I can't imagine why the insurance would NOT cover something less invasive. I would call and ask again. You might have to speak to a supervisor about it.
Best wishes

Becky in OHIO
Unread 12-18-2001, 08:06 AM

Hi,
Even though your co-worker says she had surgery for the same reason, you don't really know if its exactly the same. Talk to your Doctor or another Doctor and find out exactly why they want to do a TAH. Your sitiuation may be a little more complex than your co-workers. Ask as many questions as possible until you are comfortable with the answers. If you are not comfortable you may be able to postpone if its not life threating. Remember that your co-worker and the ladies on here are not Doctors. We can only give you our own personally feelings. Only a Doctor can give you the best medical avenue to your situation. Please do your research and keep us posted. I am also having a TAH on 12-20 and I know from talking with my Doctor that it is what is best for me. Keep your chin up.
God Bless
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2001, 09:05 AM

I would schedule an appointment with your Doctor ASAP to talk about your concerns. Each of us our different eventhough outwardly our syptoms appear similar. Sounds like you are boarderline confident in your Doctor. To ease your mind, get a second opinion. Maybe even go to your co-workers Doctor for a second opinion. I would also talk frankly with my Doctor about why he feels a TAH is your only option.

Sorry, I can't offer any comparisons between the surgeries. But I'm sure something would come up on a search of the web.
Unread 12-18-2001, 09:15 AM
Options

I am not real sure from your post why you are having the hyst. I am assuming that you had a talk with your doc about all the alternatives and type of surgery and pros and cons for each prior to making the decision.
I do think if you are in doubt you might want to see a second opinion unless of course it is an emergency.
I went in for my pre op talk and had a list a mile long and stayed in the offcie for at least 30 minutes talking with my doc about the what ifs. I was given the option of any kind of hyst I wanted although he suggested teh LSH. Not all docs do them at this time as they take longer and require training. I will sign however for both a TAH and a LAVH just in case they come upon something unforseen. It may be that for some reason that type of procedure is not an option for you but you certainly have the right to know the reasons for it not being an option.
Unread 12-18-2001, 05:01 PM

Martha - I talked with my doctor quite a bit about that issue. He is very well trained in lap hysts - went to Germany for 6 months to work with the guy who invented the procedure, even. He recommended a TAH in my case. It went very well, and I was released to return to my normal life at 4 weeks - not so much worse than your friend's 3 weeks.

Drop me a note if you want to chat about it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register