Do surgeons tell you good news or bad news straight after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do surgeons tell you good news or bad news straight after surgery? Do surgeons tell you good news or bad news straight after surgery?

Unread 10-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Do surgeons tell you good news or bad news straight after surgery?

Help! I am worried about this today. Do the doctors tell you right away if they find something bad? I dont know how I will handle that on top of trying to recover from the surgery

Of course, if its good news and you are told that as soon as you are awake and coherent....I would think that it would really aid recovery.....however, hearing bad news affects recovery negatively, right?
My gyne onc said he will do frozen sections of everything before he finishes up. He sounds pretty thorough, so, he will have some idea (even a pretty good idea) of whats going on in there.

My question to you sisters is...........
1. Were you told bad/good news right away? How did that affect you in the immediate post surgery recovery?
2. Was just your husband/family member told first, and then they told you?
3. Did anyone specifically ask not to be told anything until they were at least fit enough to go home?

This is my freak out for the day I actually woke up feeling pretty okay...made lists for all the things to be acomplished this week...spent time cooking with my teen daughters.
Then, I had this awful thought about the good news/bad news deal straight after surgery
Thanks for all your input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Re: Do surgeons tell you good news or bad news straight after surgery?

Immediately post-op, my DH and I were told that everything surgically went fine. They told DH first because I was pretty out of it for the first day. I wasn't given the pathology results until my 2-week post-op check-up . . . those results don't come instantaneously, anyway. If the news from the path report had been bad, the doctor would've called me in sooner. I hope this helps!
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM

I asked that my family not be told anything detailed until I was told. In my case, my Dr went out of hospital until the next AM. So the plan was, he'd tell me what he knew the next AM, and the pathology report by phone the next week. I didn't want anyone to know before I did, and I didn't mind waiting overnight. You can ask that your family just be told you are OK, no details, like I did, if you prefer. They don't really know the whole story until the path report comes back, anyway. Good luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2011, 05:54 PM

Much the same as the others, my surgeon saw me in hospital the day after surgery to tell me that it went well, not much blood loss, etc My DH was with me at the time. The pathology report takes longer and I was told at a pre op check in his office.
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:37 PM

When I was waking up from my surgery I vaguely remember my Dr. telling me that everything went well. That was pretty much it. He also told my DH just that the surgery was over and I was doing well and in recovery. I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and my Dr. just took a look at my incision and asked how I was doing when he came to see me. At my 2 week visit in the office is where he explained what the pathology report said. They really can't tell you anything good or bad until they see the report so I wouldn't worry about any bad news while you are in the hospital.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the replies!
So...they basically dont tell you anything after the surgey other than the surgery went well?

So, does that mean that the frozen sections they take as well as other washings while you are on the table dont really tell you anything definitve? I always thought that the frozen section will give an indiction of something untoward or benign, so that the surgeon can proceed accordingly. I think that they do know, but just dont want to say anything until pathology comes back because they are more concerned about the patients recovery, By the time its 2 weeks post op, most of us will be in a better shape than 1 day after surgery. If it is good news, of course I would want to know, right away after surgery... but not if its bad news....I'd lose the will to recover
Oh boy.......I hate waiting....does it really take THAT long for pathology to come back? I am such a worrier......hopefully, I will be too busy with recovering to worry about pathology results but it will always be on my mind
Maybe I should start another thread about the accuracy of frozen section vs final pathology?
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:58 PM

I knew going in it was cancer. All the sections during surgery showed was how far into the uterus the cancer invaded. As far as ovaries, nodes, and washings, those results come later. my surgery was a Thurs, results were in on Mon. Whatever the news, treatments today are quite good, and although waiting is hard, finding out for sure can actually be easier. I wanted to know ASAP and when I had to wait for phone results it was hard. I don't know if all Drs give phone results, I think not all do.
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:02 AM

meezer

My surgery was the monday of thanksgiving week so my dr called me on wednesday to let me know results of the preliminary pathology report. I got the final report at my first follow-up visit.

Final pathology takea a couple of weeks.

Unread 10-24-2011, 12:11 AM

(((greyown))) I am sorry about your diagnosis.
I hope you are doing well today. You said that you knew about cancer before surgery, but I am sure it was still hard to hear the final report
This is so out of our hands isn't it? I think thats what drives the fear in most people......you never really know what is there until you go in. For me....ct and ultrasound scans are clear.....the reason I am a is because of 2 slightly elevated ca125 results and a family history. I have no idea what is going on really until after pathology comes back, and its the terror of that unknown that is making me so uneasy.

Tauruslady...did the intitial preliminary report that you were given by phone more or less match with the final report? Just curious.
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:16 AM

I remember one of the nurses in post op telling me the surgery was tougher than they thought and they had to take my ovaries (that had not been planned). They told me "everything would be fine" but that surgery took a few hours longer than expected. My surgery was a Friday afternoon so I had to wait until the surgeon was back at the hospital Sunday afternoon to hear what he actually found. I found the waiting really tough, especially since I have a medical background. I SOO wanted to look at my chart.

Bedside he told me the basics; severe endometriosis with fibroids, cysts, adhesions, etc. He was clear that nothing looked cancerous but we would know more when the pathology report was back. I got that 2 weeks later (all clear, yay)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register